Nose cones

Hello there, a quick short question, does nose cones work? in the patch notes of .22 , it says they increse stabilty within atmosphere, while wiki does warn that its affects are neither explained nor understood by the community, and from what i can see they still do add lots of mass and drag,

if anyone experimented and or understood the currect .22 mechanic of nose cones, can you tell me if i should use them or not? esthetic reasons arent valid

Edited by TheReaper

Increased stability implies an easier to control rocket, has nothing to do with altitudes rockets will reach. The nosecones still add drag and mass as far as I've seen tested (haven't bothered to look into it much myself).

If you don't care about stability or your rocket is easy enough to control, you won't need nosecones.

With some of my more complex asparagus-staged monstrosities that were build in 21.1 I found that launching was more difficult. Once I put nose cones on all the blunt fuel tanks it did make the rocket more stable to fly. I tried this with both manual launches and Mechjeb, but MJ might be different as it needed a new DLL file. I'd run more tests but I've been having too much fun with career mode!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.