Experiments should take time

My hunch is that this is already planned. And I've seen a few thoughts posted on this topic in some form. But I want to offer my ideas.

Many have already commented on how science right now is pretty tedious and "grindy." Well I think a lot of that stems from experiments having instant completion. Again, I would be floored if Squad wasn't already thinking about this, but anyway.

I think there should be three types of experiments:

One type produces ongoing science at a slow rate, with diminishing returns over time. Pop a satellite in orbit around the Mun. Let it start running "scans" and it slowly returns science. Eventually nothing else can be learned, and that science avenue "dries up." It's basically "mining" science.

The second type is a one-shot experiment. It returns a sizable amount of science, but takes a while (minutes, hours, days, maybe even weeks or longer) to run. These types of experiments would be valuable for space stations and bases.

The third type are the simple readings from instruments (temperature, pressure, etc) and reports. They are quick, and return an ok amount of science.

But, here's my caveat for all of these science gathering mechanisms - the same experiment/reading/report cannot grant science from the same "biome" more than once on any single mission. So you can only send one EVA report from High Kerbin orbit per mission. Further science requires more missions, not more in and out of the capsule. This should help address the science spam.

Just my $0.02 :)

• 1 month later...
I agree, except for orbital mapping, which is an idea I really like (and is more related to the orbit you choose, rather than the time)

Technically for mapping, you just get a polar orbit and time-warp. As the planet rotate, you'll cover the entire surface sooner or later.

i would like experiments that go as you fly the ship

for example garthering temperature data during a reentry, or acceleration data during a landing

those are not things you can skip with timewarp, and they have very high scientific vaule in real life

just "record" the data on what the ship is doing and reward points for the importance of that data

limiting the data size, of course

also, if the experiments cannot take time to run, why transmitting data does?

because i usually bring just a tinny solar panel and timewarp so it never runs out of energy whilist transmiting

i would like experiments that go as you fly the ship

for example garthering temperature data during a reentry, or acceleration data during a landing

those are not things you can skip with timewarp, and they have very high scientific vaule in real life

just "record" the data on what the ship is doing and reward points for the importance of that data

limiting the data size, of course

I think this is better than simply making experiments take time. You could make it so that experiments get canceled if change your situation. For example, you could be able to start recording acceleration or gravity data during a decent only once you go sub-orbital, and reestablishing orbit would cancel the experiment. Or temperature data would only be valid for the time spent in an atmosphere.

Technically for mapping, you just get a polar orbit and time-warp. As the planet rotate, you'll cover the entire surface sooner or later.

Yep, but it does take real in-game time, and I can't think of a better way of doing it (giving an instant science bonus for placing a mapsat in polar orbit doesn't seem good enough). And you do have to avoid having an orbit whose period is a whole number integer multiple of the rotational period of the planet.

I like that we are discussing the nature of KSP experiments more and more and people are trying to throw out ideas that make it more than just "press button, receive science". But I'm not sure adding duration is a great idea UNLESS the science can be collected without the ship being the one currently controlled.

Build a satellite, launch it, leave it in munar orbit to run scans while you go and build something else? OK!

Build a satellite, launch it, watch it in munar orbit for 2 hours while it runs scans? Aww hell no. That just adds "wait around not playing the game" to the button mashing.

Either way, as regex says, there are difficulties with any kind of "over time" mechanic in KSP. It's not *impossible* to incorporate it and make it work, it just requires some creative problem solving.

I also used to think Time-based experiments would be meaningless because of time-warp, and still think it's not necessary for all but a few experiment.

Yet, without going too far in the details like "" avoid having an orbit whose period is a whole number integer multiple of the rotational period of the planet. "" I think that a combination of time-based experiment and/or specific orbital parameter could greatly shape the gameplay in a good way.

Imagine the following :

- If the sensor/experiment require a mostly-circular orbit, it mean you need a satellite, not just a probe passing by the planet.

- If the sensor/experiment require a constant +10 in energy for days, you will need to design the satellite accordingly without relying on just a big battery.

Meaning that both concept could help create a gameplay for satellites.

Of course the bigger problem is how to explain to the players how they are supposed to do science, in a guided-progression sandbox, even if we will have mission at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.