Storage technology

Currently, one experiment gear can only store one report a time, however you can spam the transmit button to ‘queue‘ all your report. As a result you can queue infinite reports as if you have unlimited cache, that's stupid. Especially get out>EVA report>store report>transmit>EVA report>store report...

So we should have storage technology, come with inline bay or attachment harddisk/flush storage, limited storage size. Then, experiment should also have builtin storage size limit, one or more report, but still limited.

Example: (note that numbers here are just for demonstration)

KST-8064 storage bay

weight: 0.4

electricity: 100

storage size: 1024 Mits

require: electricity (30E/min)

Why I suggest this:

This way we can solve two major problem currently, first every body want to store repeat reports, storage technology makes it possible, second, spam transmit button and queue infinite reports is so easy and powerful that it totally nullfied return mission, the storage technology prevent infinite queue, improves the game experience.

What‘s more, the storage bay can let you manage your stored reports (without GUI is OK, just add option on right click is enough, just like how command pod handle the EVA report), review, transmit or delete them at your will. Unlike the infinite queue with which once a report is in queue, it can never be stopped.

i like the idea

Same here.

I think it'll make more sense if there's a separate part to store surface samples, since it's a physical thing that couldn't be digitized.

And it'd be super cool if the surface samples weight actually goes up the more you store.

I already suggested some time ago some sort of "data bank" module should be implemented.

Except that, there is also some room for a sample container, so maybe if You had a ship that would wisit multiple moons (as transfering from one to another takes little fuel in most cases), You would be able to send back just the sample container without the need of bringing enough fuel to bring back the entire ship.

I think the amount of energy required should be amount of stored data-dependent as the Kerbal technology actually uses "storage transistors" that require energy only for the used bytes and not the others.

Actually it is for a gameplay level a way to not use tons of energy for nothing.

Yes, full support and what I realy miss is a possibility to store more groundsamples as of now in a one man capsule you can only put one groundsample and in a three men capulse also goes only one sample. Sadly there is also no way to transfer data or samples from one capsule (for example lander to comandmodule) to another. Mods are nice but a full stock solution would be nicer:)

30/min for the data storage thing? with even regular storage devices on Earth you only need power for when you're using them, and you can turn them off otherwise. Make it like the antennas, only requiring power per data (since that's all it is for).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.