[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

I've just installed VOID, and whenever I'm in the VAB or SPH, I cannot name vessels to be saved once a command pod is placed. The naming box is not there, but the description box is.

I also have Karbonite, KAS, Hyperedit, Mechejb installed.

MGCJerry, can you get me log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log)? I'll take a look.

It's working fine now after a complete KSP wipe.

Ok, I got a log for you... 2.22MB.

http://2thextreme.org/games/ksp/crashes/voidbuglog.txt

Heres what I did.

1. Reinstalled Void

2. Loaded KSP.

3. Continued game.

4. Went into VAB.

5. Placed MK2 pod. Name box disappeared.

6. Deleted MK2 pod. Name box reappeared.

7. Named the craft "voidbug'.

8. Placed MK2 pod. Name box disappeared.

9. Placed probe core.

10. Deleted MK2 pod. Name box reappeared.

11. Deleted probe core & exited.

Edited by MGCJerry
updated status of bug

An update on this issue.

I deleted everything related to KSPl and reinstalled, and VOID is working fine now. I did lose all my ships and games, but if it fixed some of the other issues I had its worth it.

Mothrandir, it doesn't currently show burn time in the VAB, but I could change that. I'm in the middle of some other changes, but once that settles down I'll have a look. :)

Technically, KSC, the Launchpad, the Runway, etc. are not biomes. They are handled by a more esoteric system that I only accidentally stumbled upon a couple weeks ago after a year and a half of supporting this. ;) I'll see if I can reliably make it display those special locations. :)

Anyone else seeing problems with the resource mass calculations under 0.90? So far all I've seen is both the Resource Mass outputs either equal the total mass of the ship or are 0. Also, they only output to 2 significant digits instead of 3

Also, I didn't really think about it until I used it but the new vessel logger starting when you click the button while on the launchpad is a bit odd. The old version you clicked to enable logging and it would wait until you launch to actually begin. Now you click it on and can sit on the launch pad while the mod logs useless data

Additionally I'm still noticing weird behavior with the measurement settings for various outputs. If I set my Apoapsis to km, for example, I can come back to the game after a restart and find it showing meters. I'm just rewatching a launch video now and sitting on the pad the Downrange Distance reads out 0.001km and then right after lift off it switches over to telling me the distance in mm.

Edited by Gaiiden

Gaiiden, the logger can be started before launch now by request. I can add an option to wait until launch, though.

I'll take a look at the resource mass calcs.

Yeah, I've noticed that the precision numbers go funny sometimes also. They necessarily have to refigure themselves to avoid ludicrious behaviour (e.g. reading altitude in Gm while sitting on the pad), but it is a little unpredictable sometimes. I'll try to chase it down and make it more reliable.

Gaiiden, the logger can be started before launch now by request. I can add an option to wait until launch, though.

Not sure what's worth logging before launch tho. Anyways, the "start on launch" option would be nice again since I would be looking for data at 15s intervals starting from launch, but for now I can just make sure to start the timer 15s before launch, or 30, or 45...

An update on this issue.

I deleted everything related to KSPl and reinstalled, and VOID is working fine now. I did lose all my ships and games, but if it fixed some of the other issues I had its worth it.

You almost certainly had a defective modulemanager file somewhere. I encountered similiar issues recently, when one of my own MM config files missed some opening and closing curly braces.

As displaying burn times in the VAB is now being descussed, I'd like to suggest another possible feature for a future version of VOID:

The option to display sea level TWR and dV in the VAB. The first value is of course only useful for users of the Real Fuels mod (that's why I would make it an option, not default), but the second value might be interesting for many players.

Something which thus far apparently only KER has, yet which i think fits into VOID:

In the extended orbital information display, time to ascending/descending node of the current reference body. So, if one orbits around kerbin, time to the optimal point for ascend and descend (to change inclination). There is no way to display the nodes for the current ref body in ksp - only other objects. I'm surprised no one mentioned this before, because this is fundamental. Perhaps most are running VOID and KER alongside each other, and that's the reason it hasn't been brought up.

The zip has a source and a game data folder, are both of them required to get the mod to work? Why isn't there just a game data folder?

EDIT: Nvm some Googling seems to suggest the source folder isn't required

Edited by Halaberiel

As displaying burn times in the VAB is now being descussed, I'd like to suggest another possible feature for a future version of VOID:

The option to display sea level TWR and dV in the VAB. The first value is of course only useful for users of the Real Fuels mod (that's why I would make it an option, not default), but the second value might be interesting for many players.

I'll see about adding a check box to change those columns to reflect sea level, or similar.

Something which thus far apparently only KER has, yet which i think fits into VOID:

In the extended orbital information display, time to ascending/descending node of the current reference body. So, if one orbits around kerbin, time to the optimal point for ascend and descend (to change inclination). There is no way to display the nodes for the current ref body in ksp - only other objects. I'm surprised no one mentioned this before, because this is fundamental. Perhaps most are running VOID and KER alongside each other, and that's the reason it hasn't been brought up.

I've added time to equatorial An/Dn to the extended info in the Orbital tab internally. Thanks for the request!

The zip has a source and a game data folder, are both of them required to get the mod to work? Why isn't there just a game data folder?

EDIT: Nvm some Googling seems to suggest the source folder isn't required

As you've discovered, the Source folder is not necessary. It's there to fulfill a rule or two about distributing mods on the forum. Welcome aboard! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks! I don't do this often, but the time has come for me to ask for some testing. No, I still haven't got the configurable panels in... but I've done a lot in preparation for that, and I've changed so much under the hood that I hesitate to release without a bit of testing beyond my usual testing group of 1.

So! If you're both interested and brave, you can grab the development release here: [zip] [tar.gz] [tar.xz]

If you're super nerdy and like ascii graphs, here's a git diff stat of the changes:

.gitattributes | 10 ++
API/Attributes/AVOID_SaveValue.cs | 47 ++++++++
API/Attributes/VOID_GameModesAttribute.cs | 47 ++++++++
API/Attributes/VOID_ScenesAttribute.cs | 47 ++++++++
API/IVOID_DataValue.cs | 43 +++++++
IVOID_Module.cs => API/IVOID_Module.cs | 10 +-
API/IVOID_SaveValue.cs | 39 +++++++
API/VOIDCore.cs | 87 ++++++++++++++
API/VOIDMaster.cs | 159 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
VOID_HUDModule.cs => API/VOID_HUDModule.cs | 26 ++---
API/VOID_Module.cs | 549 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
API/VOID_SingletonCore.cs | 68 +++++++++++
API/VOID_SingletonWindow.cs | 72 ++++++++++++
GameData/VOID/Textures/ATM_VOID.cfg | 15 +++
GameData/VOID/Textures/fundsgreen.png | Bin 0 -> 670 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/fundsred.png | Bin 0 -> 670 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/repgreen.png | Bin 0 -> 956 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/repred.png | Bin 0 -> 964 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/science.png | Bin 0 -> 799 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_dark.png | Bin 0 -> 1211 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_dark_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 2205 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_light.png | Bin 0 -> 1097 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_light_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 2175 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_dark.png | Bin 0 -> 880 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_dark_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 1362 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_light.png | Bin 0 -> 783 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_light_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 1336 bytes
VOID_DataValue.cs => Tools/VOID_DataValue.cs | 49 ++++----
VOID_Localization.cs => Tools/VOID_Localization.cs | 0
VOID_SaveValue.cs => Tools/VOID_SaveValue.cs | 69 +++--------
Tools/VOID_StageExtensions.cs | 37 ++++++
VOID_Tools.cs => Tools/VOID_Tools.cs | 23 +++-
VOID.csproj | 52 ++++++---
VOIDCore_Editor.cs | 45 ++++++++
VOIDCore_Flight.cs | 50 ++++++++
VOID_Core.cs => VOIDCore_Generic.cs | 765 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------------------------------------------
VOIDCore_SpaceCentre.cs | 38 ++++++
VOIDEditorMaster.cs => VOIDMaster_Editor.cs | 73 +-----------
VOIDFlightMaster.cs => VOIDMaster_Flight.cs | 81 ++-----------
VOIDMaster_SpaceCentre.cs | 61 ++++++++++
VOID_CBInfoBrowser.cs | 61 ++++++----
VOID_CareerStatus.cs | 141 ++++++++++++++---------
VOID_ConfigWindow.cs | 75 ++++++++++++
VOID_Data.cs | 393 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------
VOID_DataLogger.cs | 38 +++---
VOID_EditorCore.cs | 155 -------------------------
VOID_EditorHUD.cs | 9 +-
VOID_HUD.cs | 14 +--
VOID_HUDAdvanced.cs | 12 +-
VOID_Module.cs | 309 -------------------------------------------------
VOID_Orbital.cs | 25 ++--
VOID_Rendezvous.cs | 58 +++++-----
VOID_StageInfo.cs | 127 +++++++++++++++-----
VOID_Styles.cs | 2 +
VOID_SurfAtmo.cs | 17 +--
VOID_TWR.cs | 15 ++-
VOID_Transfer.cs | 33 +++---
VOID_VesselInfo.cs | 8 +-
VOID_VesselRegister.cs | 63 ++++++----
59 files changed, 2615 insertions(+), 1502 deletions(-)
$ git diff --find-renames --stat=180 0.16.4 > /tmp/diff; cat /tmp/diff

CHANGELOG:

Pre 0.17 Testing Release [2015-02-07]
* NEW MODULE: The first independent module, VOID_CareerTracker provides a "ledger" for every currency transaction in your career.
* VOID_DataLogger: Added a 'wait for launch' configuration option that will wait until the situation is not PRELAUNCH before logging any data.
* VOID_Orbital: Added time to ascending & descending nodes.
* VOID_StageInfo: Added burn time column.
* VOID_StageInfo: Added an option to use sea-level values when relevant while in the editor.
* Core modules: Made the toggles a little prettier under some skins.
* Added close buttons to all windows.
* Biome readouts now report special Kerbin-surface biomes like KSC.
* Burn time readouts will now account for staging.
* Skins: Forbade "KSP Window 1" and "KSP Window 3", because they make VOID look super ugly sometimes.
* Under The Hood Changes to make VOID work in scenes other than flight and the editor.
* Under The Hood Changes to make dealing with time intervals slightly more sane on my end.
* Under The Hood Changes to make the configuration really only save when it needs to.
* Behind The Scenes Changes to help me keep track of and release non-code things more reliably.

I'll be able to do a data logger test tomorrow when I run a launch (thanks for that). Also, the resource mass still seems broken - for one of my craft, I checked the numbers and VOID is telling me it has a resource stage mass around 8 tons but when I add up the LF/O and multiply by 0.005 I get closer to 5 tons. Could the resource mass calculation be taking into account the Ablative Shielding I have on my heat shield? Did it always do that? It says the craft resource mass is 0. In addition, for a craft I have sitting on the launchpad VOID tells me it's total mass is 104.941 tons (correct, same as in VAB) but it says it has a stage mass of 115.69 tons and a resource mass of 104.94 tons :/ also can we get the resource masses out to three significant digits?

Edited by Gaiiden

So, I had stage and total resource mass plugged in backwards, which was part of the trouble. Beyond that, I was getting numbers from KER that I couldn't really figure out. So, I've filed an issue and reintroduced a hack that I used in the past, and at least always now get a reasonable number, even if it's not always exactly what you want (e.g. it will show the "current stage" resource mass in an SLS-style craft as just the resource mass in the SRBs, even when the SRBs and the central stack are burning, because they will be discarded first). Resource mass does include everything that is handled as a resource; AblativeShielding is among them.

I've refreshed the development downloads (same links as above), with these changes:

CHANGELOG:

Pre 0.17 Testing Release [2015-02-08]
* VOID_SurfAtmo: Shortened the name a bit to avoid / reduce clipping.
* VOID_VesselInfo: Resource mass now reported more reasonably and reported to 3 decimal places.
* Downrange distance now calculated using an alternate formula to avoid exceptional conditions at antipodal points.
* VOID applauncher icon now appears in map view while in flight.

Hey folks! I don't do this often, but the time has come for me to ask for some testing. No, I still haven't got the configurable panels in... but I've done a lot in preparation for that, and I've changed so much under the hood that I hesitate to release without a bit of testing beyond my usual testing group of 1.

So! If you're both interested and brave, you can grab the development release here: [zip] [tar.gz] [tar.xz]

If you're super nerdy and like ascii graphs, here's a git diff stat of the changes:

.gitattributes | 10 ++
API/Attributes/AVOID_SaveValue.cs | 47 ++++++++
API/Attributes/VOID_GameModesAttribute.cs | 47 ++++++++
API/Attributes/VOID_ScenesAttribute.cs | 47 ++++++++
API/IVOID_DataValue.cs | 43 +++++++
IVOID_Module.cs => API/IVOID_Module.cs | 10 +-
API/IVOID_SaveValue.cs | 39 +++++++
API/VOIDCore.cs | 87 ++++++++++++++
API/VOIDMaster.cs | 159 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
VOID_HUDModule.cs => API/VOID_HUDModule.cs | 26 ++---
API/VOID_Module.cs | 549 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
API/VOID_SingletonCore.cs | 68 +++++++++++
API/VOID_SingletonWindow.cs | 72 ++++++++++++
GameData/VOID/Textures/ATM_VOID.cfg | 15 +++
GameData/VOID/Textures/fundsgreen.png | Bin 0 -> 670 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/fundsred.png | Bin 0 -> 670 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/repgreen.png | Bin 0 -> 956 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/repred.png | Bin 0 -> 964 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/science.png | Bin 0 -> 799 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_dark.png | Bin 0 -> 1211 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_dark_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 2205 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_light.png | Bin 0 -> 1097 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_appIcon_light_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 2175 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_dark.png | Bin 0 -> 880 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_dark_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 1362 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_light.png | Bin 0 -> 783 bytes
GameData/VOID/Textures/void_icon_light_glow.png | Bin 0 -> 1336 bytes
VOID_DataValue.cs => Tools/VOID_DataValue.cs | 49 ++++----
VOID_Localization.cs => Tools/VOID_Localization.cs | 0
VOID_SaveValue.cs => Tools/VOID_SaveValue.cs | 69 +++--------
Tools/VOID_StageExtensions.cs | 37 ++++++
VOID_Tools.cs => Tools/VOID_Tools.cs | 23 +++-
VOID.csproj | 52 ++++++---
VOIDCore_Editor.cs | 45 ++++++++
VOIDCore_Flight.cs | 50 ++++++++
VOID_Core.cs => VOIDCore_Generic.cs | 765 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------------------------------------------
VOIDCore_SpaceCentre.cs | 38 ++++++
VOIDEditorMaster.cs => VOIDMaster_Editor.cs | 73 +-----------
VOIDFlightMaster.cs => VOIDMaster_Flight.cs | 81 ++-----------
VOIDMaster_SpaceCentre.cs | 61 ++++++++++
VOID_CBInfoBrowser.cs | 61 ++++++----
VOID_CareerStatus.cs | 141 ++++++++++++++---------
VOID_ConfigWindow.cs | 75 ++++++++++++
VOID_Data.cs | 393 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------
VOID_DataLogger.cs | 38 +++---
VOID_EditorCore.cs | 155 -------------------------
VOID_EditorHUD.cs | 9 +-
VOID_HUD.cs | 14 +--
VOID_HUDAdvanced.cs | 12 +-
VOID_Module.cs | 309 -------------------------------------------------
VOID_Orbital.cs | 25 ++--
VOID_Rendezvous.cs | 58 +++++-----
VOID_StageInfo.cs | 127 +++++++++++++++-----
VOID_Styles.cs | 2 +
VOID_SurfAtmo.cs | 17 +--
VOID_TWR.cs | 15 ++-
VOID_Transfer.cs | 33 +++---
VOID_VesselInfo.cs | 8 +-
VOID_VesselRegister.cs | 63 ++++++----
59 files changed, 2615 insertions(+), 1502 deletions(-)
$ git diff --find-renames --stat=180 0.16.4 > /tmp/diff; cat /tmp/diff

CHANGELOG:

Pre 0.17 Testing Release [2015-02-07]
* NEW MODULE: The first independent module, VOID_CareerTracker provides a "ledger" for every currency transaction in your career.
* VOID_DataLogger: Added a 'wait for launch' configuration option that will wait until the situation is not PRELAUNCH before logging any data.
* VOID_Orbital: Added time to ascending & descending nodes.
* VOID_StageInfo: Added burn time column.
* VOID_StageInfo: Added an option to use sea-level values when relevant while in the editor.
* Core modules: Made the toggles a little prettier under some skins.
* Added close buttons to all windows.
* Biome readouts now report special Kerbin-surface biomes like KSC.
* Burn time readouts will now account for staging.
* Skins: Forbade "KSP Window 1" and "KSP Window 3", because they make VOID look super ugly sometimes.
* Under The Hood Changes to make VOID work in scenes other than flight and the editor.
* Under The Hood Changes to make dealing with time intervals slightly more sane on my end.
* Under The Hood Changes to make the configuration really only save when it needs to.
* Behind The Scenes Changes to help me keep track of and release non-code things more reliably.

Happy to help. Grabbing now and will push it tonight....

thanks for all of your great work....

cheers.

Okay so the launch logging works great, this will make it immensely easier to input ascent data into my Flight Tracker. However there are a few items I display that the logger doesn't track: Q (from FAR), Pe height, Ap height, mass (total), % of solid fuel remaining in stage (0-1), % of liquid fuel remaining in stage (0-1) and distance traveled. If there's any way you can add those it would cut down on the number of windows I have to keep open during launch so I can play back the video capture and get the values. It actually does affect my framerate having all those UI elements open.

Also, can the logger take a snapshot immediately after launch regardless of delay setting?

this mod is giving me weird bugs. when I go to the Space Center I have a freecam but I can't click to get into the buildings. In addition the time warp bar is on the bottom ????

I just need the orbital info overlay. is there another mod for this? thanks.

Sorry for the delay; I'm gasping for breath trying to get my head above water after a crazy busy week at work.

Gaiiden, I can do Peri and Apo heights (I assume you want altitudes?) very easily. For the fuel ratios, do you just want that for the actual first two stages (e.g. for launches), or would that apply to "current" and "next" stages always? If the former, do you have a concept for how I might know that you are launching right now, and not flying or suborbital for some other reason? I could pin it to time or try to detect "new flights", but both of those methods are relatively unreliable (for example, if you left the ship on the pad, did some time warping, and came back to it, a time-based detection might not work). It's possible I could only run those in a session that started with PRELAUNCH... not sure if that would ever fail or not.

FAR integration is out of scope for this update, but coming in the not-too-distant future.

Sorry for the trouble, seyss, but I don't think that's being caused by this mod. If you get me a log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log), I'll take a look and see what I can see. :)