[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

Hey Toadicus,

First off, love the mod. It's amazing. All the data we need to play that game, right at our finger tips. Also just updated to 12, and the advanced pane looks cool.

Unfortunately I have a nuisance issue with the HUD. Everytime I go to the vessel/space/whatever view from the space center, the left HUD is in the wrong place. Pic:

CB471DB810FD93AABF781BE4D9160BBD01920AC1

Just the very right edge of the right-hand panes (and now the right edge of the new advanced pane) show up. Moving the HUD locations manually does not solve the problem, but doing the factory reset does (Full pane visible and in the correct location). Every time I go into the space center, then back out, the HUD resets to the position shown in the image. It stays "fixed" when hoping between vessels without going into the KSC.

This happened in v10 (the first version I downloaded) and is still occurring in 12 (I skipped 11). The resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 with the flight UI set to "small". Please let me know what information would be useful to trouble shoot this!

So, it's usable but I'd like to be able to stop hitting the factory reset button. Thanks again!

Hey Toadicus,

First off, love the mod. It's amazing. All the data we need to play that game, right at our finger tips. Also just updated to 12, and the advanced pane looks cool.

Unfortunately I have a nuisance issue with the HUD. Everytime I go to the vessel/space/whatever view from the space center, the left HUD is in the wrong place. Pic:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/594788129750572940/CB471DB810FD93AABF781BE4D9160BBD01920AC1/

Just the very right edge of the right-hand panes (and now the right edge of the new advanced pane) show up. Moving the HUD locations manually does not solve the problem, but doing the factory reset does (Full pane visible and in the correct location). Every time I go into the space center, then back out, the HUD resets to the position shown in the image. It stays "fixed" when hoping between vessels without going into the KSC.

This happened in v10 (the first version I downloaded) and is still occurring in 12 (I skipped 11). The resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 with the flight UI set to "small". Please let me know what information would be useful to trouble shoot this!

So, it's usable but I'd like to be able to stop hitting the factory reset button. Thanks again!

Sorry this took a while to get back to you; I moved this weekend and still don't have Internet at the new place. I'll try to get a chance to test that soon. I've never used those specific UI settings before, but can't think of a good reason why they'd be causing the issue. Can you get me a copy of your debug log file (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log) after a run of the game that exhibits the problem? The shorter the run the better, so if you could just load up, get to a flight, do the reset, go to the space center, get back to a flight, and then force-close the program, that'd make my job easier.

Thanks!

Hey there toad. I've never tried VOID before, saw it in a couple Youtube videos and loaded it up recently. I really like the HUD displays; they're far more unobtrusive that MechJeb or KER displays. There are a few KER parameters that I use all the time, however, that I can't find:

- terminal velocity

- atmospheric efficiency (current velocity/terminal velocity)

- time to impact (for landing)

Also, is there a way to customize the HUD displays?

Sorry this took a while to get back to you; I moved this weekend and still don't have Internet at the new place. I'll try to get a chance to test that soon. I've never used those specific UI settings before, but can't think of a good reason why they'd be causing the issue. Can you get me a copy of your debug log file (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log) after a run of the game that exhibits the problem? The shorter the run the better, so if you could just load up, get to a flight, do the reset, go to the space center, get back to a flight, and then force-close the program, that'd make my job easier.

Thanks!

Not a problem. I'll get you the debut file ASAP.

Also, congrats/condolences on the move. It is a painful thing to have to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't know how to fly anymore without this plugin, but i agree with others, that some degree of customization would be needed, because most users need one or two extra stats for their tasks.

Most importantly however, what really is absent of course is real altitude (aka "radar altimeter"). I'd rather not have some hard big or hard to read "gauge" on my screen, just to not crash into mountains when the altitude displays "2000m".

I'd recommend:

- Radar altitude to replace normal altitude display when appropriate.

- rename the "advanced HUD" to "Custom HUD", and make the lines centered instead of right-aligned (or allow setting the alignment!)

- have a settings dialog for this "custom hud", where one can select which lines to display.

This way, the two existing hudboxes can stay simple and cover the basics. The third "custom hud" box instead, the user can then configure to display the special stuff he needs.

A new feature I'd like to see is that right-clicking on any line in the info windows will highlight it or turn it a different color. Reason is that if I'm burning to get my apoapsis to a certain altitude and for whatever reason I have to glance away from the info window, coming back to it can take a second or two to locate the line containing the apoapsis height. I've made the mistake too of looking at the periapsis height instead.

Most importantly however, what really is absent of course is real altitude (aka "radar altimeter"). I'd rather not have some hard big or hard to read "gauge" on my screen, just to not crash into mountains when the altitude displays "2000m".

This is already available in the Surface & Atmospheric Information window. I agree that a more modular format similar to MechJeb that lets your create your own data windows would be a cool thing to have

Almost any kind of info is "already available" in one of the many windows, but this clutters the screen. I was talking about the HUD, not the windows. As i understand it, the point of the HUD is to have the most critical and popular data in a compact and space saving format. I'd think real altitude is among the "most critical" data.

Pre-update forum update: GO!

I have a window in development to share T:W ratios the various bodies, but it's giving me fits trying to make it work in the editor.

Why hello there, you handsome devil. You'll be glad to know that I've fixed your past foolishness, and fixed the Interplanetary TWR window. That'll be in the next update.

Hey there toad. I've never tried VOID before, saw it in a couple Youtube videos and loaded it up recently. I really like the HUD displays; they're far more unobtrusive that MechJeb or KER displays. There are a few KER parameters that I use all the time, however, that I can't find:

- terminal velocity

- atmospheric efficiency (current velocity/terminal velocity)

- time to impact (for landing)

Also, is there a way to customize the HUD displays?

Welcome aboard! I don't have calcs for any of those items at this point. I'll take a look and see how feasible they'd be, but I can tell you that the atmospheric calcs would probably depend on a FAR wrapper. I use FAR as a "must have", and if I'm going to develop atmospheric data I'm going to use aerodynamics that are at least semi-real. Time to impact should be pretty doable for airless bodies without FAR, or in a FAR wrapper for atmospheric bodies. I'll let you know. :)

I'd like to request a stage resource weight in addition to the total resource weight.

Hmm, I think I did that today. Let's have a look <scours the git logs>. I did! I totally forgot to test it though. Also, I need to proofread my commit messages. It'll be in the next release. :)

I wouldn't know how to fly anymore without this plugin, but i agree with others, that some degree of customization would be needed, because most users need one or two extra stats for their tasks.

I'd recommend:

- Radar altitude to replace normal altitude display when appropriate.

The HUD already has a "radar" altitude readout in the "top right" HUD pane. It calls itself "Srf Alt".

- rename the "advanced HUD" to "Custom HUD", and make the lines centered instead of right-aligned (or allow setting the alignment!)

- have a settings dialog for this "custom hud", where one can select which lines to display.

This way, the two existing hudboxes can stay simple and cover the basics. The third "custom hud" box instead, the user can then configure to display the special stuff he needs.

This is already available in the Surface & Atmospheric Information window. I agree that a more modular format similar to MechJeb that lets your create your own data windows would be a cool thing to have

I really do want to get scriptable panels/HUDs in, and I've got a plan to do so, but it's hard and a little outside my wheelhouse, so I'm somewhat ashamed to say it's in the vaporware stage at the moment. :(

A new feature I'd like to see is that right-clicking on any line in the info windows will highlight it or turn it a different color. Reason is that if I'm burning to get my apoapsis to a certain altitude and for whatever reason I have to glance away from the info window, coming back to it can take a second or two to locate the line containing the apoapsis height. I've made the mistake too of looking at the periapsis height instead.

Ooh, that's a good idea. I don't think it'll make the next release, but I'll look into it. :)

The next update is coming Soonâ„¢. If you want it sooner, bug another organization who is offering an update Soonâ„¢. ;)

Just wanted to say this is by far my favorite info type mod. The HUD is very awesome, and i love the fact that you dont need a part to have the info at hand (cant tell you how many times i forgot to add the Engineer chip) before i found this mod :)

Got another proposal: I really would like the ability to disable confusing changes of measurement units. What i mean with this, is the unit changing depending on the scale. I can understand switching from km to mm, but switching from km to m is just confusing to me and leads to misunderstandings:

- "Orbital Altitude: 70.707m" -> "WATKRAKEN? I'M ON THE RUNWAY!!! Oh wait, it's metres. Nevermind."

- "Distance: 284.809m" -> "Uh WTF? But i just... oh, it switched to metres. WTH does anyone need milimetre accuracy for anyways?"

So yeah, really... i'd propose to consider if metres as distance unit really is neccessary, or "add another option" to disable metres as dist unit. Personally, i'd argue to drop it - not worth the space of an option - but hey, someone might actually need milimetre accuracy for reasons that escape me.

Just wanted to say this is by far my favorite info type mod. The HUD is very awesome, and i love the fact that you dont need a part to have the info at hand (cant tell you how many times i forgot to add the Engineer chip) before i found this mod :)

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

Got another proposal: I really would like the ability to disable confusing changes of measurement units. What i mean with this, is the unit changing depending on the scale. I can understand switching from km to mm, but switching from km to m is just confusing to me and leads to misunderstandings:

- "Orbital Altitude: 70.707m" -> "WATKRAKEN? I'M ON THE RUNWAY!!! Oh wait, it's metres. Nevermind."

- "Distance: 284.809m" -> "Uh WTF? But i just... oh, it switched to metres. WTH does anyone need milimetre accuracy for anyways?"

So yeah, really... i'd propose to consider if metres as distance unit really is neccessary, or "add another option" to disable metres as dist unit. Personally, i'd argue to drop it - not worth the space of an option - but hey, someone might actually need milimetre accuracy for reasons that escape me.

Hmm. I don't have a good facility to enable that kind of behavior as an option, but I may be able to proceduralize the formatting a bit more so that different unit selection behaviors can be picked. You can, for now, adjust the magnitude display of most of the numeric values in the information panes. Making that work in the HUD would be harder, but I'll look in to it.

VOID has been updated to version 0.13! This version brings 0.24 compatibility, the new TWR panel, and a couple request fulfillments / fixes.

CHANGELOG:

v.0.13 [2014-07-17]
* Updated for KSP 0.24.
* NEW MODULE! VOID_TWR is provides a listing of nominal thrust-to-weight ratios at the surface of each celestial body and is available in the editor and in flight.
* VOID_VesselInfo: Changed resource mass line to a combo stage / total resource mass line.
* VOID_HUDAdvanced: Fixed a totally embarrassing unit display bug.

Geez man, it's barely out. You're really on the bounce!

Congratulations, and thank you! :)

Don't tell my boss, but there's a fair chance I've done basically zero work since it became obvious that 0.24 was releasing today. ;)

Any chance to integrate with the new inbuilt toolbar? or do we still need Blizzys toolbar?

You can use blizzy's or the old free-floating button. I'm working on integration with the AppLauncher, but I didn't get my hands on the new libraries any sooner than you did, so I'm just getting that effort off the ground. :)

Edit: I've got a stock toolbar button working nicely. Now I just need my artist to get back and make a higher resolution icon so I can give you something that doesn't look awful forever. :)

Edited by toadicus

When I hit escape to bring up the pause menu, all the HUDs change their font, shifting the lines around. I assume this isn't intentional?

Ditto - it becomes a somewhat taller/larger/different font when I bring up the pause menu (almost vanilla 0.24 x86)...

Also the vessel information thingy looks a little...screwy:

VOID-024-VesselInfo.jpg

It looks kinda space-and-a-half, and resource mass indicator is um kinda wordwrappy I think..

(VOID is still awesome though :) )

That screenie reminds me: If this isn't much effort, it would really be helpful to have lines between the "rows". It's related to the earlier request for highlighting lines (which i agree with too): Right now, it's easy to accidentally skip rows when navigating between the "columns".

When I hit escape to bring up the pause menu, all the HUDs change their font, shifting the lines around. I assume this isn't intentional?

You're right, not intentional. I know a bunch of stuff with the GUI was changed up in 0.24; I'll see if I can't track this down.

Ditto - it becomes a somewhat taller/larger/different font when I bring up the pause menu (almost vanilla 0.24 x86)...

Also the vessel information thingy looks a little...screwy:

http://alpha.renegrade.net/images/VOID-024-VesselInfo.jpg

It looks kinda space-and-a-half, and resource mass indicator is um kinda wordwrappy I think..

(VOID is still awesome though :) )

Yeah, I noticed the Resource Mass issue myself while playing yesterday... but I kept playing instead of fixing it. :) I'll look into it!

That screenie reminds me: If this isn't much effort, it would really be helpful to have lines between the "rows". It's related to the earlier request for highlighting lines (which i agree with too): Right now, it's easy to accidentally skip rows when navigating between the "columns".

I'll think about it. I don't really love the idea of putting lines in, and I'm not a great graphics designer so I'm a little worried I wouldn't be able to do it whilst keeping things "looking good". I will look and see if there's something I can do to improve parse-ability, though. :)

Hi. I'm having sort of a bug here. Some windows have a button to show extra information, when clicked the window resizes to show the extra info, but when I click the button again the window does not resize again, and keeps like that forever, even after resetting the game.

Also a request: While in VAB or SPH, I'd like to have a small window to show stage by stage info, like KER or KJ do, right now I see only the HUD display, which is good but not as complete as I like.

Hi. I'm having sort of a bug here. Some windows have a button to show extra information, when clicked the window resizes to show the extra info, but when I click the button again the window does not resize again, and keeps like that forever, even after resetting the game.

Also a request: While in VAB or SPH, I'd like to have a small window to show stage by stage info, like KER or KJ do, right now I see only the HUD display, which is good but not as complete as I like.

Yep, I found that bug as well; it's fixed internally. I'm working on a few last items before I can push a new version.

Your request is one I've got several times, and my answer has generally been: I license KER code to do all the engineering calcs. Out of respect for the kindness of cybutek and his team, I am intentionally not competing in a few realms that really make KER what it is, and this is the big one. I know this isn't an answer many of you like to hear, but at this point I continue to feel like it is the right one.

I may have another chat with cybutek about that at some point, and revisit my stance. But that hasn't happened yet. Thanks for the request, though! :)