If resources were to be implemented as the last stage before release of v1.0...

rodion_herrera

If resources was the last thing to be developed, would you still play KSP?  

1. 1. If resources was the last thing to be developed, would you still play KSP?

• Of course I'll still keep playing, but will be very disappointed with Squad's strategy/plan
    • No, I will stop playing KSP because I feel like Squad is not prioritizing my gameplay style
    • I'll still keep playing--I still enjoy KSP and Squad's plans and think I got what I paid for

On topic though, I'd like to see Resources sooner, rather than later and here is why:

Add three more reasons:

The important reason to implement it sooner rather than later is that resources completely change the playstyles used in the game. Right now, in the stock game, you have to make giant, inefficient candle stacks to get to someplace like Jool. With resources, that gets completely changed as you start using large fuel depots (which can refuel at their destination) and do your actual exploration with small, efficient designs that can refuel as needed from the nearest depot. If they wait until the last second to implement resources, we'll all have been beta-testing a completely different style of game than what we'd see post-release. This'll be reflected in our designs; post-Resources, we'll need to have refinery stations with large empty tanks to hold raw materials, and dedicated landers to restock them. (Us Kethane users are already familiar with this idea.) That'll depend somewhat on the specifics of the equipment; in the Kethane mod you can put a small refinery, drill, and tank on any medium-sized lander and let it refuel as needed whenever it lands, but the new system might make that impractical by making the refining equipment so heavy that it can only be mounted on space stations reliably. (Also, if making fuel requires two ingredients that aren't found in the same spot, no lander would be able to fill itself.)

Second, the resource system is likely to be very fiddly on the balance side of things. It's likely that in its first iteration there'll be some serious imbalance, where resource X is just too hard to get or resource Y weighs too much to be practical. This'll probably require a couple versions of testing to get fine-tuned to the point where it's playable, so it's not something you can do just before release.

And finally, resources are going to be tied to a mapping mechanism (analogous to ISA MapSat and the Kethane scanners). A delay in Resource introduction would likely mean a delay in mapping equipment as well. As it is, we already need mapping tools that let us see where the many biomes are on Mun, so I hope they don't wait too long.

But now, there's one reason why Resources WON'T be introduced right away, and it's tied to that last point I made: Biomes. Right now, only Kerbin and Mun have multiple regions to deal with. Every other planet or moon is a single biome, which means those bodies' surfaces will likely be reworked in the near future. There wouldn't be much point in the developers placing resource deposits (or better yet, a dynamic system that weights resources by biome) on a body that'll be redesigned in the upcoming versions. So I'd guess that we won't see Resources being placed until after the version that reworks the surfaces of the bodies we're likely to visit in the early game.

OP you are confused, the number increments between game versions doesn't mean that we'll see every number up to 1.00. They could stop at version 0.29 or 0.30 and decide to release it then. Just because it looks like a final version should be labeled 1.00 doesn't mean it has to be, and chances are that it wont be, by the looks of things, it would take many years for them to get all the way up to 1.00 if they were to go up 0.01 every time.

In the menu, there's a TRAINING BUTTON. That's why I slapped my forehead--I totally forgot it was there. And yes Kerman von Braun is there to help you get your first rocket to orbit, which is nice.

Ahhhh... I knew there were some tutorials, just couldn't remember them. OTOH stuff like orbital rendevous, and Holman transfer would be good to have a tutorial.

It isn't a decimal point.

It's a version number. 1.0 happens when ever they decide they are done... Or at least done enough to call it 1.0.

1.0 is not the next update after .99 ... that's .100 They could keep right on counting up if they wanted to .9999999999999. or they could release 1.0 right after .37 as an example.

This.

If Squad went about it the way OP describes, the game wouldn't be done before 2020.

From what I remember the Squad guys talking about, there are a couple of big things they want to handle:

Spaceplanes

Proper aerodynamics, redone (space)plane parts, that sort of stuff. The planned features page on the wiki also mentions wind turbulence/weather. We've seen dev shots of a cloud system. If clouds ever fit with an update, it'd be with one that focused on flying. Reentry heat would also fit that update pretty well.

Resources/Mining

Planned for 0.19, with the models being done, but the underlying system wasn't up to Squad's standards yet.

Kerbal Knowledge Base

Squad has already introduced part of it (the info screen in the map view), but the end goal is for the player to discover planets/moons beyond Kerbin's SoI using telescopes. These bodies' stats would also be hidden until you send a mission there with scientific equipment that can map the atmosphere, gravitational pull, etc. New planets/moons/asteroids would probably accompany that and future updates, but they wouldn't be advertised making them something that players really have to find for themselves.

I think spaceplanes will be the last. It'd add fun to the game, but it isn't essential like the others. I think we'll either see resources before the Kerbal Knowledge Base, but it could also be the same update (as a lot of the resources has been done and you can't market the secret planets you're adding).

If you really think KSP will be in development up to version 0.99, you are mistaken. That is not the point of the version system. At this rate, it would take many years to be released if KSP had to go to v0.99. My prediction is that KSP will be released before v0.4x if not 0.3x

Edited by dudester28

why in hell would someone stop playing just because resources get put in last? that seems completely irrational, that doesn't make any sense

"this one particular game feature isn't going to be included for a while, therefore game sucks, squad sucks, never playin again"

wat

why in hell would someone stop playing just because resources get put in last? that seems completely irrational, that doesn't make any sense

"this one particular game feature isn't going to be included for a while, therefore game sucks, squad sucks, never playin again"

wat

You'd be surprised.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.