Planetarium Camera Help...

rbray89

Hey all... I'm in need of "cloning" the planetarium scaled camera (with modified culling mask), but I have had trouble getting it to render on screen properly.

Here is what I have tried:

overlayCamera = (Camera)Camera.Instantiate(
PlanetariumCamera.Camera,
new Vector3(0, 0, 0),
Quaternion.FromToRotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 0), new Vector3(0, 0, 1)));
overlayCamera.depth = PlanetariumCamera.Camera.depth + 1f;//tried variety from .00000001 to 10 offset
overlayCamera.cullingMask &= ~(1 << 10);
overlayCamera.cullingMask |= (1 << 18);
overlayCamera.nearClipPlane = .1f;
overlayCamera.clearFlags = CameraClearFlags.Depth; //(with and without this or set to None)

But when I try this, it seems to cull the skybox and planets if clearFlags is set to none, and will cull just the planet if set to Depth. Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Hmmmm. What are you trying to accomplish by modifying the planetarium cam? Perhaps I can be more helpful with that info.

It isn't that I want to modify it, per-se, but I want to add a planetary overlay very near the surface and I want to avoid z-fighting by adding the overly on another layer and using another camera with a higher render priority to render it on-top.

Ok, I figured it out. I'll try to remember to post the exact code, but it is something like this:

GameObject go = new GameObject();
Camera newCam = go.AddComponent<Camera>();
newCam.CopyFrom(ScaledCamera.Instance.camera);
newCam.Transform.Parent = ScaledCamera.Instance.camera.Transform;
//you may have to update newCam.Transform.localRot and localPos to (0,0,1) & (0,0,0)
//now set masks, depth, etc.

• 2 years later...
Ok, I figured it out. I'll try to remember to post the exact code, but it is something like this:

GameObject go = new GameObject();
Camera newCam = go.AddComponent<Camera>();
newCam.CopyFrom(ScaledCamera.Instance.camera);
newCam.Transform.Parent = ScaledCamera.Instance.camera.Transform;
//you may have to update newCam.Transform.localRot and localPos to (0,0,1) & (0,0,0)
//now set masks, depth, etc.

Hi there,

Do you have any more information to share on this subject? I know it's been a while since your post that I have quoted, but if you'd be willing to share some sample code that renders the mapview camera I'd really appreciate it. I am specifically trying to render the mapview in my own screenTexture, but so far am just getting a black screen.

Thanks muchly,

Ainamogel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.