[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Some of these parts are REALLY heavy, are they balanced to the amount of science you get back in return?

The big heavy parts are infrastructure for research. The real science (and money once you start contracts) makers are those little experiment modules that you have to launch up and return to kerbin.

The big heavy parts are infrastructure for research. The real science (and money once you start contracts) makers are those little experiment modules that you have to launch up and return to kerbin.

Kibbal... pretty sure it weighs more than water and is consumed faster :)

But yeah, the heavy stuff is meant to go up and stay up. The sensible thing is treat them like mobile homes; begin in LKO, with a TH-NKR and F-RRY, and have a space tug that can separate them and nudge them between orbits in Kerbin SOI. Each tug only needs a couple of thousand delta-v when attached, and that's a mid-size 2.5m tank and an efficient engine. Trying for 6 permanent stations (8, including landed on Mun/Minmus) would be prohibitively expensive. You do however get a lot of money for launching the experiments, which are easily carried. My current habit is to have a spaceplane with room for 4 kerbals, and an experiment in the cargo bay, and leave the station itself unmanned.

Cyclotron... now that is a beast. I really wish it came in two parts that connected together in orbit, even if they're then one part that can't be separated again. 30T is an awful lot to haul up when all you have is 2.5m rockets!

Not that it's not a great mod, because it's really nice to have a reason for space stations and generates a steady drip feed of science from the zoology bay, but there's a couple of things that could use a little balancing :)

Hey there ethernet,

Got what I think is a Station Science bug. Short version: the MK2 clamp-o-trons (the spaceplane ones) cannot un-dock from a structure containing an SS lab. In every case I've tried, the MK2 port thinks it has been disconnected, the ship and station act separate and can be switched between with [ and ], but the physical connection remains and the lab is dragged around with the ship.

I appreciate docking is often a common problem in KSP, but in this case it's proving very reproducible and unique to SS. Thought you might want to look into it.

Steps I have been through:

- launched regular spaceplane, docked to SS lab, started experiment, attended to something else at KSC while 50 hours elapsed. Could not un-dock when returning to station.

- reloaded game, tried again; didn't help.

- launched fake spaceplane (pictured) to test problem. This can un-dock while it stays in the flight scene. Changing to KSC and back, or F5-F9, and possibly transferring crew, removes the ability to un-dock.

- EVA'd an engineer, had him activate the un-dock option manually; no joy.

- un-docked, re-docked, un-docked the tug on the left (regular clamp-o-trons on both sides). Despite changing to KSC and back, this docking port reliably releases and reconnects.

- turned the lab round and tried to dock the plane to the other end; still gets stuck. Doesn't seem to be docking port specific.

- launched a new 1.25m rocket with regular shielded clamp-o-tron. No problems docking and un-docking this from the SS lab.

- bodged a regular clamp-o-tron into a cargo bay. This port has no problems docking and un-docking.

- docked spaceplane and tug rocket. These two have no problems with each other and behave as they should.

- launched a whole new lab with a different root part, and a fresh spaceplane. Problem recurs, port cannot undock from an SS lab structure, but is fine with other ships.

- put together an ugly rover to try out on the KSC runway; interestingly the problem does not occur on the ground.

Wondering if it might relate to the bit in your code that is checking whether an experiment is in progress at the point something un-docks from the lab? Unfortunately there's nothing coming up in the debug log, so I'm not sure I can offer any more insight :(

Thanks for working on this mod, it's a great addition to the game (when it behaves) :) For the meantime there's workarounds; regular clamp-o-trons are fine, either on rockets, or built into an MK2 cargo bay.

stationsci-clamped.jpg

Edited by eddiew
did some extra investigation, post updated

Does Station Science have some incompatibilities with other mods that you're aware of? Or am I doing something wrong?

My LKO station has just finished a plant growth experiment (50/50 eurekas), the science lab is fully staffed and operational. When i right click the experiment, I see... deploy? clicking it does nothing, and I have no option from the lab to finalize the results either

Thanks!

Does Station Science have some incompatibilities with other mods that you're aware of? Or am I doing something wrong?

My LKO station has just finished a plant growth experiment (50/50 eurekas), the science lab is fully staffed and operational. When i right click the experiment, I see... deploy? clicking it does nothing, and I have no option from the lab to finalize the results either

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, ZeroPositivo!

You're doing nothing wrong. That happened to me as well, and have already been reported. It's an incompatibility caused by CrowdSourcedScience. Apparently, removing the original GameData\Squad\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg file fixes the problem, until the developers of CrowdSourcedScience fix the bug on their end. :)

Happy new year!

Edited by Kowgan
Spelling.

Why does this not get more love?

I for one like the idea here but, I rather the resources be something realistic. I also rather the parts look more stock.

I tried it out but removed it.

I would try it again if update changes parts n I could change names of resources to something more real.

I would try it again if update changes parts n I could change names of resources to something more real.

You mean something more real like these perhap? :P

Personally I love this mod, its a great science type mod that has a great Kerbal flair to it. And I got the Kuarq reference immediately when I read the description, pretty much that alone made me download the mod, and the great times I had with it afterwards made me keep it, so great work ethernet! :D

I'm not getting any Station Science contracts. Everything seems to be in place inside the Resources folder. I'm pretty far in the tech tree.

Have you still not seen any? Have you tried rejecting a bunch to cycle through?

Would you be interested in some more stock-alike parts?

I've been working on an improved set, keeping to the dimensions of the original parts.

http://i.imgur.com/eaY9NpD.jpg

Sure, I like where this one is going.

If you're making new models, you might as well make them a little skinnier so they fit into the Mk3 cargo bay. It should only need to be a slight reduction, so for existing stations, the difference shouldn't be all that noticeable.

Hey there ethernet,

Got what I think is a Station Science bug. Short version: the MK2 clamp-o-trons (the spaceplane ones) cannot un-dock from a structure containing an SS lab. In every case I've tried, the MK2 port thinks it has been disconnected, the ship and station act separate and can be switched between with [ and ], but the physical connection remains and the lab is dragged around with the ship.

I appreciate docking is often a common problem in KSP, but in this case it's proving very reproducible and unique to SS. Thought you might want to look into it.

I'll look into it.

If you're making new models, you might as well make them a little skinnier so they fit into the Mk3 cargo bay. It should only need to be a slight reduction, so for existing stations, the difference shouldn't be all that noticeable.

Oh, yes! Please, this! It doesn't even need to change the part's mass, but it would be awesome being able to fit them in the Mk3 cargo bay! :)

Edited by Kowgan

Hi guys, I have tried, but I can't for the life of me get any eurekas to generate during my plant growth experiment. i have a powered and manned (by 1 scientist) in orbit around kerbin. I docked a ship with the plant growth experiment on and pressed "start experiment" but nothing happens, any ideas?

Hi guys, I have tried, but I can't for the life of me get any eurekas to generate during my plant growth experiment. i have a powered and manned (by 1 scientist) in orbit around kerbin. I docked a ship with the plant growth experiment on and pressed "start experiment" but nothing happens, any ideas?

doesn't it require a fully crewed science lab?

You mean something more real like these perhap? :P

Personally I love this mod, its a great science type mod that has a great Kerbal flair to it. And I got the Kuarq reference immediately when I read the description, pretty much that alone made me download the mod, and the great times I had with it afterwards made me keep it, so great work ethernet! :D

Oops!

I stand corrected. Now can u make the parts look more stock?

I downloaded it anyway! At least it makes stations have a purpose and gives science.

Edited by notsorightstuph

doesn't it require a fully crewed science lab?

Yes. There is a minimum crew requirement. If I recall correctly the lab can fit four but needs at least three to function.

Right click the lab to see the details.

I apologize for not grabbing a screenshot, but I think I got hit by a Kraken from your mod. If loading from a quicksave, or switching from one craft to another via the tracking station - my creature comforts and plant growth station will spin out of control and destroy itself. I opened the debug and got about 20 this:

No experiment definition found with id creaturecomforts.

Craft had one science lab and a zoology bay. Even before the Kraken hit, I clicked the plant growth and creature comfort module and clicked Deploy and nothing happened.

Again I wish I grabbed a screenshot, but I unfortunately had to uninstall your mod. I'll report back if I get this error again with another mod.

Thanks for your hard work, wish I could use it!

I apologize for not grabbing a screenshot, but I think I got hit by a Kraken from your mod. If loading from a quicksave, or switching from one craft to another via the tracking station - my creature comforts and plant growth station will spin out of control and destroy itself. I opened the debug and got about 20 this:

Craft had one science lab and a zoology bay. Even before the Kraken hit, I clicked the plant growth and creature comfort module and clicked Deploy and nothing happened.

Tbh, this sounds more like a general KSP bug than Station Science particularly. Now and then nearly everyone seems to get a vessel that just wants to explode; only solution is regular secondary saves. (As it happens, I'm currently battling to prevent my Duna orbiter exploding every time it makes a manoeuvre - and it's basically stock parts!)

As for Deploy - there isn't that option on SS modules that I've seen... they should say 'Start Experiment'. Are you quite sure you clicked the right thing, rather than a nearby part...?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.