[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Yeah, Ferram pointed me in the right direction in the FAR thread. I didn't have any precoolers on my SSTO and I have Interstellar.

I haven't made an SSTO since 0.19 and I just found out about this Interstellar mechanic :)

Thanks

Hi!

Noticed very strange thing: then i place radial chute on the top of the capsule it overheats at reentry and blows up=(

The reason of using radal chute is that i use LES for all crew capsules.

At the same time same chute on the side of capsule sometimes feels much better.

Apologies for my absence from this thread; I hope to catch up quite soon. Also, apologies for forgetting to release this little mini-release.

Changelog:

v4.61= \/

*Fixed 6.25m heatshield animation modules (thanks Sage!)

*Fixed typos in decouplers (thanks DispleasedScottie!)

Pls answer me=)

Its's matter of life and death for few my cerbals on the Kerbin orbit=)

Wow really? I don't know what time it is where you are but it's 6:30am here and you're bumping after only half an hour?

That's pretty rude.

If it's a Real Chute radial then try this MM config

@PART[RC_radial]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
adjustCollider = -0.015
}
}

You...you saw the part where the fist sentence of my post was "Apologies for my absence from this thread; I hope to catch up quite soon" right?

That's what I meant; it's not code for "definitely gonna ignore Riverey."

Starwaster: dangit, I thought I included that in 4.61. I'll check again.

Hi NathanKell,

is there a possibility to make the presence of a decoupler in the heatshields tweakable in VAB?

I'm making a procedural heatshield for the ProceduralParts mod, and that's going to have a decoupler tweaker. Otherwise, if you have procedural parts installed, you can copy the decoupler tweakable module from the decoupler cfg file and add it to the heatshields.

Are the UP20/UP30 decouplers meant to be used with RSS shields and parts? They don't seem to fit any of the heatshields provided with DREC (or, indeed, stock parts in general). I tend to just remove them to reduce clutter, since I use stock-scale Kerbin.

I observed some odd heat shield behavior in my game last night. First let me say that I'm new to KSP and Deadly Reentry, so it could just be my inexperience, but it didn't look right. Also, I'm playing the BTSM mod, which requires DE.

Here's the situation. I'm returning a probe from Mun orbit which consists of a probe body, 2 goo cannisters, and a parachute, all sitting on a 2.5m heat shield. Total mass is 1900 kg. I plot a return trajectory with a PE at 40km and an AP at 9500km. I hit the atmosphere at over 3300 m/s and the PE drops to around 30km as I start getting air resistance. I burn through 150 points of shielding before the trajectory starts rising again. I assumed I'd pop out of atmosphere and make another orbit or two but the AP has dropped down to about 38km. So after a short ascent I start falling again. Shield starts to heat up again and I start but it through shielding. I think the temp topped out around 965. Here's the weird part - as I slowed and the temp dropped, it seemed like the rate of shielding loss increased. Eventually I burned through the entire shield (0/1000 remaining), temp at this point was a bit over 500 I think. But there was no impact to the payload. I expected them to explode or at least see some heating, but they remained steady at 60 degrees or so. The parachute deployed, the probe landed just fine, and I was able to recover the science.

Does this seem like normal behavior? I was surprised to completely burn up the heat shield but have no damage got he payload, and it seemed odd to me that the shielding continued to burn off even while the shield's temperature was rapidly dropping off. But again, I don't have much experience.

I observed some odd heat shield behavior in my game last night. First let me say that I'm new to KSP and Deadly Reentry, so it could just be my inexperience, but it didn't look right. Also, I'm playing the BTSM mod, which requires DE.

Here's the situation. I'm returning a probe from Mun orbit which consists of a probe body, 2 goo cannisters, and a parachute, all sitting on a 2.5m heat shield. Total mass is 1900 kg. I plot a return trajectory with a PE at 40km and an AP at 9500km. I hit the atmosphere at over 3300 m/s and the PE drops to around 30km as I start getting air resistance. I burn through 150 points of shielding before the trajectory starts rising again. I assumed I'd pop out of atmosphere and make another orbit or two but the AP has dropped down to about 38km. So after a short ascent I start falling again. Shield starts to heat up again and I start but it through shielding. I think the temp topped out around 965. Here's the weird part - as I slowed and the temp dropped, it seemed like the rate of shielding loss increased. Eventually I burned through the entire shield (0/1000 remaining), temp at this point was a bit over 500 I think. But there was no impact to the payload. I expected them to explode or at least see some heating, but they remained steady at 60 degrees or so. The parachute deployed, the probe landed just fine, and I was able to recover the science.

Does this seem like normal behavior? I was surprised to completely burn up the heat shield but have no damage got he payload, and it seemed odd to me that the shielding continued to burn off even while the shield's temperature was rapidly dropping off. But again, I don't have much experience.

Having the ablation rate go up while the temperature goes down is normal behavior for DRE. I'm not sure it's entirely realistic (I would think the temperature should stay constant while the shield is boiling off), but that's how it works.

For the other half of your question, how fast were you going when you ran out of ablative? And did the temperature of the depleted shield start going up?

I'm having some issues with the settings menu. I try to change the Shockwave Exponent to 1.12, but I'm unable to add a period or even delete the existing "1" that's there by default. All I can do is increase the number to double digits.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

Hi there !

I've installed a most of Scott Manley's mod list and Deadly Reentry is of course part of it but now I can't even do a suborbital flight with the Mk1 command pod ! I've set the shockwave exponent to 1.12 and even when I do a 100km apoapsis and then reenter directly, the pod just burst into flame without the heat bar even appearing ! The heat shield is facing retrograde and heat is just starting to appear around the ship before it just blows up !

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help !

Robin

A shockwave exponent of 1.12 gives you enough heating to require a very precise reentry. You need to control your PE exactly when doing the de-orbit burn. I usually go with an exponent of 1.1 as it's a little more forgiving, but still burns up unprotected parts and punishes mistakes.

I go to the KSP Aerobraking Calculator ( http://alterbaron.github.io/ksp_aerocalc/ ) to figure out my PE. For the situation you're describing I use a Desired Apoapsis of 90km so I end up dipping into the atmosphere, burning off speed - then I rise up a bit again to the upper atmosphere before descending through a second heating cycle.

A good trick is to make a quicksave, then try out various PE altitudes to see which one works best.

Are there any other heatshields around?

I just love this mod, makes everything real challenging, but the heatshields are a bit limited.

There used to be a mod from "planetes Corporation" that worked with deadly reentry but its discontinued, it had some cool shields, but I cant find any other shields anymore.

For the other half of your question, how fast were you going when you ran out of ablative? And did the temperature of the depleted shield start going up?

I don't remember the speed. Maybe 500 m/s? The heat shield temperature kept dropping after the ablative was depleted.

Edited by SabreRedleg

MY dont remember the speed. Maybe 500 m/s? The heat shield temperature kept dropping after the ablative was depleted.

At 500 m/s, heating is low enough that it shouldn't do any damage. Sounds like you ran out of ablative just before you stopped needing it.

I've observed a (potential) incompatibility between DR and the Skillful weapons add-on.

When both were installed concurrently, many rockets overheat and fail at launch, including very simple test cases such as:

- A rocket consisting of a single SRB and a probe core

- A rocket consisting of a single S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster, a 3.75m fuel tank and a probe core

According to InfiniteDice, it seems that both DR and Skillful separately calculate the heat experienced by any given part, then somehow combines them together to give a heat value much higher than can be normally expected. Obviously, removing either DR or Skillful resolves this issue.

Is there a way, through a config setting, Module Manager patch, or core plugin change, for DR to detect the presence of Skillful, and for both to reduce their heat production functionality accordingly? Am I even making any sense?

Are there any other heatshields around?

I just love this mod, makes everything real challenging, but the heatshields are a bit limited.

There used to be a mod from "planetes Corporation" that worked with deadly reentry but its discontinued, it had some cool shields, but I cant find any other shields anymore.

you mean these They still work.

There's also this one, or this, or these

- A rocket consisting of a single SRB and a probe core

That blows up with DR regardless of any other mod. I don't use Skillful weapons and that can happen with too much thrust.

Hey all I'm using the mods in scott manleys interstellar quest videos. I'm having issues with the 1.25m heat shield that is in the basic parts that you start with. Problem is in the hangar it says I have to research it when I research it when I go back to the hangar it says I need to research it again.

I'm also having overheating issues while headed up into space if I go max throttle parts will overheat and explode. Not sure if that is supposed to happen or not... If I switch from any ship to one on kerbin some parts will explode from overheating... any help would be appreciated

thx

I'm also having overheating issues while headed up into space if I go max throttle parts will overheat and explode. Not sure if that is supposed to happen or not...

This means your rocket has more thrust than it needs. Try staying at 2-300 m/s until you get to, say, 10 km.