[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Has anyone updated the .cfg for the upcoming B9 5.0 release yet? A fair bit looks to have changed, esp. regarding engines...

It's not released yet, but when it hits there's going to be some demand for an update here too :)

I agree this too, because when I try use engines from b9 they instantly overheated and exploded. :( (sorry for my bad English, im ukrainian)

I'm finding with 0.24.2 that using Deadly Reentry 5.2 combined with Module Manager 2.3.1 (or 2.2.2, 2.2.1, the included 2.2.0), and starting a new career mode, that some interaction causes all heat shields to be unlocked from the start in R&D. If I remove Module Manager the problem goes away and I get nominal Deadly Reentry first-tier tech unlocked.

I agree this too, because when I try use engines from b9 they instantly overheated and exploded. :( (sorry for my bad English, im ukrainian)

Try this dirty hack:

b9_r5.patch 
--- DeadlyReentry_B9.cfg.orig 2014-08-28 17:30:55.255283485 +1200
+++ DeadlyReentry_B9.cfg 2014-08-28 18:15:31.193226732 +1200
@@ -1220,19 +1220,16 @@
reflective = 0.25 // 10% of heat is ignored at correct angle
}
}
-@PART[B9_Engine_SABRE_M]
+@PART[B9_Engine_SABRE_M] //Nicked from the config for rapiers
{
@maxTemp = 1800
- @MODULE[HydraEngineController]
+ @MODULE,0[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
- @primaryEngine[ModuleEngines]
- {
- @heatProduction = 225
- }
- @secondaryEngine[ModuleEngines]
- {
- @heatProduction = 275
- }
+ @heatProduction = 225
+ }
+ @MODULE,1[ModuleEnginesFX]
+ {
+ @heatProduction = 275
}
MODULE
{
@@ -1242,19 +1239,16 @@
}

}
-@PART[B9_Engine_SABRE_S]
+@PART[B9_Engine_SABRE_S] //Nicked from the config for rapiers
{
@maxTemp = 1800
- @MODULE[HydraEngineController]
+ @MODULE,0[ModuleEnginesFX]
+ {
+ @heatProduction = 225
+ }
+ @MODULE,1[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
- @primaryEngine[ModuleEngines]
- {
- @heatProduction = 225
- }
- @secondaryEngine[ModuleEngines]
- {
- @heatProduction = 275
- }
+ @heatProduction = 275
}
MODULE
{

Is anyone else using the 6.25 Inflatable Heatshield? I'm using DeadlyReentryCont_v5.2 and I'm having an issue where it is deployed when it loads up on the launchpad. This is the only time I've ever tried using it. I'm testing it out at Kerbin for a Duna lander. Originally, I had it within the KW 2.5 extended fairing and it deployed through the fairing and knocked the sides off. Removing the fairings made no difference. I made sure "start" was "closed", and I even tried it with it "open" just for kicks - no help.

Is there a trick to using it correctly, or is it just bugging out on me? I have a bunch of other mods installed: B9, Editor Extensions, Extraplanetary Launchpads, FAR, Kethane, KW, Infernal Robotics, RealChute, SCANSat, SP+, TAC LS, Tweakable Everything, TweakScale, KSPI (WaveFunctionP's 0.24 fix).

This is using the 32 bit launcher (x64 crashes were pissing me off so I got Active Texture Management and went back to 32 bit).

Here it is in the VAB, and on the launchpad.

jCDBLkwl.pngo1q4TOQl.png

radinator: Ok. I plan to fix that issue anyway using MM's new features.

steve_v, thanks! :)

Hrm, maybe drop heatproduction in closed cycle a tad more, I'm still not getting full throttle in vac with the original values...

EDIT: seems "@MODULE,0[ModuleEnginesFX]" flat out isn't working :( according to the (awfull) MM docs it should.

"@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:HAS[#engineID=AirBreathing]" doesn't work either, WTF?

Nope, not @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0. this is ridiculous. :mad:

That said, simply leaving the b9 values alone (maxtemp = 3600) does solve the overheating - bit unrealistic though.

Buggered if I know.

Edited by steve_v

Is anyone else using the 6.25 Inflatable Heatshield? I'm using DeadlyReentryCont_v5.2 and I'm having an issue where it is deployed when it loads up on the launchpad. This is the only time I've ever tried using it. I'm testing it out at Kerbin for a Duna lander. Originally, I had it within the KW 2.5 extended fairing and it deployed through the fairing and knocked the sides off. Removing the fairings made no difference. I made sure "start" was "closed", and I even tried it with it "open" just for kicks - no help.

Is there a trick to using it correctly, or is it just bugging out on me? I have a bunch of other mods installed: B9, Editor Extensions, Extraplanetary Launchpads, FAR, Kethane, KW, Infernal Robotics, RealChute, SCANSat, SP+, TAC LS, Tweakable Everything, TweakScale, KSPI (WaveFunctionP's 0.24 fix).

This is using the 32 bit launcher (x64 crashes were pissing me off so I got Active Texture Management and went back to 32 bit).

Here it is in the VAB, and on the launchpad.

http://i.imgur.com/jCDBLkwl.png http://i.imgur.com/o1q4TOQl.png

I'm suspecting TweakScale. Try removing it.

Might also want to make sure Firespitter is up to date. I know it may not cause the exact issue, but it might be a problem.

I'm only going to troubleshoot his reported issue.

Outdated firespitter tends to just not work. The inflatable doesn't even use it

I tried removing TweakScale, and the 6.25m heat shield still loaded up as inflated on the launchpad. On a hunch I also tried removing TweakableEverything, which caused it to show as deployed in the VAB!

However, I also went to a bone stock 0.24.2 folder and only installed DRE v5.2 (exact same version installed on my career), and it loads to the launchpad normally. So there is definitely another mod interacting with DRE... Now to troubleshoot further... Yay...

eQaX7Xi.png

every time I try and ascend my radial decouplers burn off mid atmosphere

any way to fix this?

Arron is right, you're going too fast, at least for the altitude that you're at.

It can also happen if your ascent angle is too shallow, that is if you turned too sharply and are going supersonic at a low altitude.

My decouplers blow up at 1000 m/s mid atmosphere

going slower than 1000 m/s at 20KM seems like it would just be inefficient with fuel since I use SRB's on my way uup

they're literally the only thing to blow up on my ship during ascent and its getting annoying :/

I looked up some information and from what I see IRL from the Spaceshuttles launch decouplers don't burn up easily during ascent

EDIT: can someone just tell me how to tweak max temperatures on parts? I have a couple other parts I want to tweak the max temperature on

Edited by Tingjonki

My decouplers blow up at 1000 m/s mid atmosphere

going slower than 1000 m/s at 20KM seems like it would just be inefficient with fuel since I use SRB's on my way uup

they're literally the only thing to blow up on my ship during ascent and its getting annoying :/

I looked up some information and from what I see IRL from the Spaceshuttles launch decouplers don't burn up easily during ascent

EDIT: can someone just tell me how to tweak max temperatures on parts? I have a couple other parts I want to tweak the max temperature on

You're the only person I know of that's having this problem. Tweaking your max temp isn't the solution, you need to track down what's causing this, and DREC is not causing this. At least not by itself.

Please post your log file:

To find your log file:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log
  • NOT ksp.log file. Especially not ever. :D (there see? friendly smiley face because people don't seem to realize this last line is meant to be funny)

I'm currently trying to use the MK1 pod for an orbital reentry in RSS, but it keeps overheating and exploding at about 1300 -1400 degrees. Is this correct, or am I missing a config file somewhere? I've tried perigees from 65-90 km, and it's not the g-force. The pod just overheats and explodes. I even tried to offset the CoM slightly, but that didn't seem to work either. Any hints as to what I'm doing wrong? Or do you think its a config file problem? Help appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.