How to get into modding?

griffin247

ok so i have been playing this since it came out, i wud now like to try and build my own mod with out using anybody elses work. where does one start what tools need etc

You can create mods with just about any 3D program.

look at the http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Making_an_asset_from_start_to_finish that page to learn how.

the page should also list which programs you can use.

The tools you require will depend on whether you are planning to make a 3D model, a plugin or both. So I recommend alluding to what you plan to create for KSP to better aid the community's suggestions to you.

For plugins, start with the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48311-How-to-make-a-NON-PART-plugin thread, specifically at post #6. It is essentially what got me going.

For part modelling I can't help as that is not something I've tried, but I assume there are threads that will point you in the right direction in the Modeling Sub-Forum for that side of things.

D.

I was searching today for same question. How to start with programming and modding in KSP. KSP Wiki don't say clearly what to install, what to do, so some people will be confused. On youtube channel "Cybutek" was created a 7-part guide. If you are compleatly green with programming is best solution to make small steps, reading source code of the simpliest mods. I know C and C# in average so maybe I release something in future. :)

Cybutek channel:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.