[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

That's not an RSS matter though. And it's kind of a known issue when incorporating multiple thruster into a single part that ordinarily would be represented by multiple discrete parts. Theoretically it could be gotten around by using multiple sets of uniquely named RCS thruster transforms coupled with multiple ModuleRCS declarations. (one for each set of transforms. Like 'thrusterTransform = starboardTransforms' where the starboard grouping is named 'starboardTransforms'. Theoretically.)

True, but I think as an end user the most expeditious solution for myself is just to disable or otherwise remove the capsule RCS, in the configs or otherwise.

I did that myself actually. Finally got around to trying it both with FAR and without. I posted a screenshot of stock drag only showing my craft at 59.x km and 222 m/s. Using FAR there was a definite increase in disassembly frequency. I'm not necessarily 'blaming' FAR per se, but it is not kind to space planes attempting a Venus reentry. Reentry speeds will be too high for the increased pressure that you find on Venus. And the density changes caused by temperature fluctuations don't help either, but the problem persisted even after removing the temperature curve entirely. Without that, it uses stock temperature changes resulting in constant density increase with pressure rather than the fluctuations. Which btw is implemented by FAR. RSS only provides the data used by FAR to determine pressure and density.

I suspect a space plane with substantially fewer wing parts and wing surface area would fare a lot better, but like I said before, I have to move on to other modding matter and no longer consider it to be an RSS matter at all :(

Venus is Venus, not Eve and it has atmospheric properties that are different enough from other planets that one must plan carefully for. At least if you're using FAR.

I understand, and I'm not trying to keep you. Honestly, I can't speak to the play aspects of this because I haven't reached orbit of Earth, let alone left it! On the other hand in order to say one mod or another is to blame for a problem means that you have to isolate the mod in question and replicate the problem there. It's possible he's done that, but he hasn't indicated he's done that here.

Thank you for your time! :)

huuum... this mod seems interesting,is there any way to enable it for x64?

I do know that it's unstable,but with the crappy computer I got,the x32 version doesn't stop to crash because of out of memory,so for my computer,the x64 is indeed more stable than the x32,that's why it's painful to see that this mod is x64 disabled,any way to enable it through .cfg files or something similar (I've already checked,but maybee I've not looked enough)

(I don't know what the editor is doing right now so maybee this post will be posted multiple times...)

I have got question: stock engines after installation of RSS having got that same power or they are rescaled to the RSS ?

Nope! RSS only changes planets.

You've got a few options for getting engine performance up. The one I favor is to install RealFuels and Raptor's stockalike engine config for it. That'll knock tank dry masses and engine masses way down, give you the option of the wonderfully efficient LH2/LOX mix for upper atmospheric stages, and still let you keep the a lot of the KSP sandbox intact. You can also use the 6.4x Kerbin config for RSS, which in combination with RF/FAR/DRE, makes a pretty decent RO-lite.

If you're up for a more realistic experience, you can try Realism Overhaul. Unfortunately, it doesn't do career very well yet (the RP0 project is very much WIP), and it can be a nasty shock to new players, because RO comes with a lot of other changes (major reaction wheel nerfs, command pods rescaled, stock engines replaced by real engines*). I'll probably come around to trying RO again in the future: while I talk the talk, I'll admit I'm still a bit of a novice to KSP, thus my use of 6.4x/RF/FAR/DRE instead of RO.

*I think some part packs like Soviet Engines have RO configs which help fill in the awkward blanks in the RO engine lineup, fortunately. Unfortunately, hello 32-bit memory limits.

You can also use KIDS (KSP Isp Difficulty Scaler) to knock Isp way up, though that leads to weird stage times.

huuum... this mod seems interesting,is there any way to enable it for x64?

I do know that it's unstable,but with the crappy computer I got,the x32 version doesn't stop to crash because of out of memory,so for my computer,the x64 is indeed more stable than the x32,that's why it's painful to see that this mod is x64 disabled,any way to enable it through .cfg files or something similar (I've already checked,but maybee I've not looked enough)

(I don't know what the editor is doing right now so maybee this post will be posted multiple times...)

Almost all x64-disabled mods do so in their source code. You can eliminate the check from the source code and recompile, or in some cases, ask the mod author politely. Don't expect support from them, though: some of them cannot test on x64, and others are simply too fed up with trying to discern real bugs from x64 instability to care.

Edited by Starman4308

You've got a few options for getting engine performance up. The one I favor is to install RealFuels and Raptor's stockalike engine config for it. That'll knock tank dry masses and engine masses way down, give you the option of the wonderfully efficient LH2/LOX mix for upper atmospheric stages, and still let you keep the a lot of the KSP sandbox intact. You can also use the 6.4x Kerbin config for RSS, which in combination with RF/FAR/DRE, makes a pretty decent RO-lite.

If you're up for a more realistic experience, you can try Realism Overhaul. Unfortunately, it doesn't do career very well yet (the RP0 project is very much WIP), and it can be a nasty shock to new players, because RO comes with a lot of other changes (major reaction wheel nerfs, command pods rescaled, stock engines replaced by real engines*). I'll probably come around to trying RO again in the future: while I talk the talk, I'll admit I'm still a bit of a novice to KSP, thus my use of 6.4x/RF/FAR/DRE instead of RO.

I get by with just the stockalike engine configs and KWR.

And if I want to do a Saturn V.... (approximates 5x J2 and 5x F1)

+PART[KW5mengineTitanV]
{
@name = KW5mengineTitanX
@title = KW Rocketry Titan X
@description = A 10m rocket engine mainly used for upper stage deployments, but also capable of launching smaller 10m rockets as a first stage engine.

%rescaleFactor = 2.5

@mass *= 8

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@maxThrust = 13050
@heatProduction = 167
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 451
@key,1 = 1 340
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 7.0
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]{}
!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]{}
!PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant]{}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdHydrogen
ratio = 72.856139
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 27.143861
}
}
MODULE:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
type = ModuleEnginesFX
techLevel = 6
origTechLevel = 6
engineType = L+
origMass = 8.3
configuration = LqdHydrogen+LqdOxygen
modded = false
CONFIG
{
name = MMH+N2O4
maxThrust = 17400
heatProduction = 167

PROPELLANT
{
name = MMH
ratio = 0.50366459
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = N2O4
ratio = 0.49633541
}
IspSL = 0.91488
IspV = 0.96628
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
ignitionsAvailable = 2
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Electric
useUllageSimulation = true
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 58
}
}
}
CONFIG
{
name = LqdHydrogen+LqdOxygen
maxThrust = 13050
heatProduction = 167

PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdHydrogen
ratio = 0.72856139
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 0.27143861
}
IspSL = 1.21056
IspV = 1.3195
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 58
}
}
}
CONFIG
{
name = Kerosene+LqdOxygen
maxThrust = 17400
heatProduction = 167

PROPELLANT
{
name = Kerosene
ratio = 0.36699904
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 0.63300096
}
IspSL = 0.96
IspV = 1.015
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 58
}
}
}

}
!MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor]{}:NEEDS[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
MODULE:NEEDS[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 58
}
}
}
@PART[KW5mengineTitanV]:FINAL
{
@maxTemp = 1250
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 3.5
}
}

and

+PART[KW5mengineGriffonC]
{
@name = KW5mengineGriffonC.10m
@title = KW Rocketry Griffon Millennium
@description = The most powerful engine in the entirety of KW Rocketry's arsenal available, capable of launching some of the largest rockets conceivable.

%rescaleFactor = 2.5

@mass *= 8

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@maxThrust = 33000
@heatProduction = 179
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 332
@key,1 = 1 299
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 6.0
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]{}
!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]{}
!PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant]{}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Kerosene
ratio = 36.699904
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 63.300096
}
}
MODULE:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
type = ModuleEnginesFX
techLevel = 6
origTechLevel = 6
engineType = L
origMass = 12.46
configuration = Kerosene+LqdOxygen
modded = false
CONFIG
{
name = Kerosene+LqdOxygen
maxThrust = 33000
heatProduction = 179

PROPELLANT
{
name = Kerosene
ratio = 0.36699904
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 0.63300096
}
IspSL = 1
IspV = 1
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 110
}
}
}
CONFIG
{
name = LqdHydrogen+LqdOxygen
maxThrust = 24750
heatProduction = 179

PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdHydrogen
ratio = 0.72856139
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 0.27143861
}
IspSL = 1.3
IspV = 1.3
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 110
}
}
}
}
!MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor] {}:NEEDS[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
MODULE:NEEDS[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 110
}
}
}
@PART[KW5mengineGriffonC]
{
@description = The second most powerful engine in the entirety of KW Rocketry's arsenal available, capable of launching some of the largest rockets conceivable.
@maxTemp = 1250

@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 3.0
}
}

Proot: the intensity of the lensflare that is the sun is determined by a floatCurve (like an engine's atmosphereCurve). The curve relates distance to the sun to the intensity of the flare.

the so the "x" value of the curve is computed as:

1/(distance_from_here_to_sun / sunAU )

the "y" value is the intensity at that x value.

Proot: the intensity of the lensflare that is the sun is determined by a floatCurve (like an engine's atmosphereCurve). The curve relates distance to the sun to the intensity of the flare.

the so the "x" value of the curve is computed as:

1/(distance_from_here_to_sun / sunAU )

the "y" value is the intensity at that x value.

Will that make it look larger?

I'd like to switch to a bigger solar system and I love the idea of visiting Jupiter, Saturn etc. but one thing concerns me (well two with the memory issues but that's another post)

The issue is travel time, so I was wondering if faster time accelerations are possible e.g. x500K or x1M?

are there any mods that do that or is it a built in limitation ?

Can someone help me with this problem?;

KSP loads up fine and the RSS textures start loading, but when it reaches lathe it stops loading on one of the two PQS files and wont continue. I have looked at the texture settings file and nothing seems to be wrong.

Again, someone please help.

Can someone help me with this problem?;

KSP loads up fine and the RSS textures start loading, but when it reaches lathe it stops loading on one of the two PQS files and wont continue. I have looked at the texture settings file and nothing seems to be wrong.

Again, someone please help.

You could be out of memory.