[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

That is spectacular. And I was just about to say ive been strayed away from this mod simply because planet surfaces were too flat and blurry. Great work on that.

Would it be possible to eventually do all the planets? Now.. such s thing is impossible due to the memory limit. Forgive me if this is well.. stupid, but would it also be possible to develop a plugin that can load only the texture of the current SOI your in?

Well, here goes. I'm now ready to release a test version of Earth.

NOTES:

1. This will gobble up a couple hundred megabytes. And no, these files will not be touched by rbray89 (though you probably need to run ATM to compress everything else) since I put them all in PluginData and load them myself.

2. It comes set for maxLevel 14 (!) so turn it down if it chugs too badly. (In RSS.cfg). Note that the value set there should override anything in your KSP/Settings.cfg file, but just in case, find your current preset in Settings.cfg and find Kerbin within it and change maxSubdivisions to the same thing you set maxLevel to.

3. I have changed the SS<->PQS fade range so that PQS should remain visible in really-low orbit. If it chugs too badly in orbit change them back to the commented values (look for the block that starts with SSFStart and ends with PQSdeactivateAltitude)

4. Feel free to mess with all values in the file. Crowdsourcing is cool! I've exposed tons of new settings you can change in the CFG.

5. If you want to export a map of the terrain, change fooExport to Export, and set size as desired. A 1024 takes me 12 seconds; a 2048, 37; etc. Exporting is useful to get an overview of your terrain height and landclass changes. Exports will be in your KSP folder once you reach mainmenu (a colormap and a heightmap).

6. No GUI yet for launchpads. In RSS.cfg, find the MapDecalTangent block and the PQSCty block, and change their latitudes and longitudes to desired location. Then increase the decal's absoluteOffset to match the surrounding terrain, and the PQSCity's repositionRadiusOffset by the same amount.

http://i.imgur.com/U9O3uahl.jpg

Passing over mountains in northern China.

Oh, and scaled-space meshes should be all perfect now. :)

Download RSS v6_pre1

A test release of the earth ? Already? Okay now I am excited :D

Well, here goes. I'm now ready to release a test version of Earth.

NOTES:

1. This will gobble up a couple hundred megabytes. And no, these files will not be touched by rbray89 (though you probably need to run ATM to compress everything else) since I put them all in PluginData and load them myself.

2. It comes set for maxLevel 14 (!) so turn it down if it chugs too badly. (In RSS.cfg). Note that the value set there should override anything in your KSP/Settings.cfg file, but just in case, find your current preset in Settings.cfg and find Kerbin within it and change maxSubdivisions to the same thing you set maxLevel to.

3. I have changed the SS<->PQS fade range so that PQS should remain visible in really-low orbit. If it chugs too badly in orbit change them back to the commented values (look for the block that starts with SSFStart and ends with PQSdeactivateAltitude)

4. Feel free to mess with all values in the file. Crowdsourcing is cool! I've exposed tons of new settings you can change in the CFG.

5. If you want to export a map of the terrain, change fooExport to Export, and set size as desired. A 1024 takes me 12 seconds; a 2048, 37; etc. Exporting is useful to get an overview of your terrain height and landclass changes. Exports will be in your KSP folder once you reach mainmenu (a colormap and a heightmap).

6. No GUI yet for launchpads. In RSS.cfg, find the MapDecalTangent block and the PQSCty block, and change their latitudes and longitudes to desired location. Then increase the decal's absoluteOffset to match the surrounding terrain, and the PQSCity's repositionRadiusOffset by the same amount.

http://i.imgur.com/U9O3uahl.jpg

Passing over mountains in northern China.

Oh, and scaled-space meshes should be all perfect now. :)

Download RSS v6_pre1

Is this primarily a new set of configs/textures or are there significant code changes?

Not sure if I want to play on Earth; I spend enough time on that cesspool of a planet, kinda like to get back to Kerbin :sticktongue:

Damn Nathan that Earth looks damn amazing. I'll fly around when I get home for sure, my laptop isn't appropriate for building and flying stuff. It would be pretty nice if you could somehow make a trick to display the name as Earth but be considered Kerbin by the game for compatibility with mods. It looks very blue, the launchpad is in KSC's real location, no more direct equatorial orbits that's for sure.

Hey all,

If you want to make Earth look even better, i've made lights textures that are based on real city clights as seen in the Blue Marble stuff, and set up custom configs for the Visual Enhancements Mod by rbray. Here is a video of it in action:

To use this first install the Visual Enhancements mod found at the link above then:

1) Download my textures and configs from here

2) Copy the BoulderCo folder from my ZIP file into your GameData folder and let it OVERWRITE the original stuff already there

3) Enjoy the beauty of Earth with correct lights on the night side!

Hey all,

If you want to make Earth look even better, i've made lights textures that are based on real city clights as seen in the Blue Marble stuff, and set up custom configs for the Visual Enhancements Mod by rbray. Here is a video of it in action:

To use this first install the Visual Enhancements mod found at the link above then:

2) Copy the BoulderCo folder from my ZIP file into your GameData folder and let it OVERWRITE the original stuff already there

wow that is awesome

Hey all,

It looks great from map view, but from a 150km orbit the clouds are still way over my ship. That's with increased swap distance, if I don't increase it then clouds don't load at all at 150km but it will severely lag at time warp higher than 10x. This is with visual enhancements 6-7.

I played a little with the Earth and it's pretty damn impressive overall. There is noticeable lag at time warp in low orbit, memory usage for me isn't anything special and I'm not using any compressors. I managed to put a probe around the Moon, the position of KSC definitely makes this more annoying since I practically have to wait for the An or Dn node to be at the right place since a plane change would be 4500m/s.

Edited by AndreyATGB

This is a big ask, but could someone give me two modded .cfgs of RT2 and RSS, where one set has Mission Control near Woomera, Australia and another at the co-ords of the Chinese space centre. I really would do it, but after fiddling for an hour and a half, while trying to write the next chapter of my story, I still can't get it anywhere near. If someone could do it for me, give me your name and I could put you in my story if you want :)

Cheers in advance, CP

It looks great from map view, but from a 150km orbit the clouds are still way over my ship. That's with increased swap distance, if I don't increase it then clouds don't load at all at 150km but it will severely lag at time warp higher than 10x. This is with visual enhancements 6-7.

I played a little with the Earth and it's pretty damn impressive overall. There is noticeable lag at time warp in low orbit, memory usage for me isn't anything special and I'm not using any compressors. I managed to put a probe around the Moon, the position of KSC definitely makes this more annoying since I practically have to wait for the An or Dn node to be at the right place since a plane change would be 4500m/s.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the clouds again tonight. I did it all from map view since I had no real mods installed to build a proper rocket :P

The clouds are tricky because if they are too low, you get this weird effect where the lights seem to get drawn BELOW the lights, even though they really aren't. So to get around this I had to push the clouds higher up. They certainly shouldn't have been THAT high though so like I said i'll take a look again.

In the meantime if you press ALT-N you can open the clouds editor. Select the layer 0, then set the radius a bit lower.

This is a big ask, but could someone give me two modded .cfgs of RT2 and RSS, where one set has Mission Control near Woomera, Australia and another at the co-ords of the Chinese space centre. I really would do it, but after fiddling for an hour and a half, while trying to write the next chapter of my story, I still can't get it anywhere near. If someone could do it for me, give me your name and I could put you in my story if you want :)

Cheers in advance, CP

I guess a good question for Nathan is, how are coordinates entered?

Curious about the same for RT but might have to wander into that thread to find out.

Cheers in advance, CP

Try KerbinCity or Extraplanetory Launchpad

I think the clouds are moving too fast. The Earth is moving roughly 1000 mph eastward at the equator. For the clouds to be moving west, and several times faster than the planet is spinning at that, they would have to be going at 3000-4000 mph. That's a wind speed high enough to tear down mountains!

Haven't played Kerbal Space program in quite some time, but I can get an hour or si in per day now. So, I finally built my first 130-ton launcher(to 400kmx400km orbit).

HAugX1c.png

@NathanKell: You might want to tell SFJackBauer to add the following code to all the AIES engines' configs with MM:

%crashTolerance = 7
%breakingForce = 800
%breakingTorque = 800

Haven't played Kerbal Space program in quite some time, but I can get an hour or si in per day now. So, I finally built my first 130-ton launcher(to 400kmx400km orbit).

http://i.imgur.com/HAugX1c.png

@NathanKell: You might want to tell SFJackBauer to add the following code to all the AIES engines' configs with MM:

%crashTolerance = 7
%breakingForce = 800
%breakingTorque = 800

So you got those engines to work with that code then? Nice!

Yep, had to add them to the RS-68A as well. Works beautifully!

EDIKT: Oh! I noticed the Procedural Fairing seems to set its attachment point to the point that the Stretchy Tank has before any changes have been made to its length. You can fic it by adding a decoupler between it and the tank, or some other part. Unfortunate but it works.

Edited by ANWRocketMan

I think the clouds are moving too fast. The Earth is moving roughly 1000 mph eastward at the equator. For the clouds to be moving west, and several times faster than the planet is spinning at that, they would have to be going at 3000-4000 mph. That's a wind speed high enough to tear down mountains!

Well there is obviously some creative license here. Bear in mind we don't, to my knowledge, gave a mod that allows more realistic weather patterns. All visual enhancements does is take one big cloud texture and move it over time. The speeds I have set up right now ere designed to provide just the slightest subtle bit of movement over time at 1x speed. Yeah it looks really wild at high time accelerations, but if I Slow it down too much then it basically would stick to the Earth and never change which wouldn't be much fun IMHO.

Bear in mind though that these are just the settings I settled on last night. You can press ALT-N to open the mod's editor and make any changes you want.

I'll try slowing them down a bit more, but I really do want at least some subtle sense of movement at slow time warp speeds.

So I'm really liking this real version of Earth and with Agathorn's addition it's really beautiful. Since we are no longer launching from the equator, are there any changes we should make to optimize our ascents?

Moar power? :)

So you got those engines to work with that code then? Nice!

Oh! I noticed the Procedural Fairing seems to set its attachment point to the point that the Stretchy Tank has before any changes have been made to its length. You can fic it by adding a decoupler between it and the tank, or some other part. Unfortunate but it works.

Moar power? :)

This is usually the answer in KSP

Oh! I noticed the Procedural Fairing seems to set its attachment point to the point that the Stretchy Tank has before any changes have been made to its length. You can fic it by adding a decoupler between it and the tank, or some other part. Unfortunate but it works.

Good to know, I'll give that a try.

Still working on known issue with stretchies nodes. ..

Coords for KSC and the map decal are latitude and longitude. Inexact because the earth is non spherical but ksp planets are spheres. Just find the latitude and longitude of a pad at Woomera and use that. Note that I use decimal degrees of lat/long, so convert minutes and seconds if given to decimal. Also, S and W are treated as negative. (KSC is N28 W80).

Set it. Then check it out in game and then modify the heights to match surrounding terrain.