[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I was looking through the thread and found metaphor's report about his mission to get some samples of martian soil. :rolleyes: I like it and I thought it would be a good Idea to try to do it myself. That's what I've done!

http://imgur.com/a/tapDR#0

1.Set the celestial body(or vessel) you want to be in the same plane with as target.

2.Skip time until you are under the orbit of desired target.

3.Launch!

4.Start gravity assist turn in the needed direction in advance. Also correct your inclination during the launch, it's more efficient to correct it before you gain high velocity.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

No need for the link to the URL for imgur albums and don't post the #0 at the end, it will scale it wrong.

should look like this when typed out without spaces.

[ imgur ] tapDR [ / imgur ]

Great looking mission, if you want to really challenge yourself do the same mission with Remote Tech 2 and the signal delay on.

Edited by Hodo

Thank you, Hodo! I have corrected the original message, it should be fine now. It's the first time I use imgur. I noticed that there was something wrong with my album in the message but I thought that it was because I was logged in.

Maybe I will try Remote Tech after some time, but I'm not sure. The game crashed and froze very often when I was launching this probe, although there is nothing special about it. It makes the construction and flying take much more time. I'm a little afraid to install other mods. Also, how will I control the probe during re-entry if the signal will be delayed?

Next thing in my wishlist is a manned expedition to Mars, something like the mission in the first message of this thread.

Everytime I start a new launch, the velocity is always 409.7m/s and the ship once fired up never descends again. This is really driving me nuts.

Was told to ask for help here since it might be RSS's fault.

Thank you, Hodo! I have corrected the original message, it should be fine now. It's the first time I use imgur. I noticed that there was something wrong with my album in the message but I thought that it was because I was logged in.

Maybe I will try Remote Tech after some time, but I'm not sure. The game crashed and froze very often when I was launching this probe, although there is nothing special about it. It makes the construction and flying take much more time. I'm a little afraid to install other mods. Also, how will I control the probe during re-entry if the signal will be delayed?

Next thing in my wishlist is a manned expedition to Mars, something like the mission in the first message of this thread.

No problem on the imgur album posting help.

As for signal delay, there is a built in flight computer in RT2 that lets you program in the commands several minutes if not hours before they actually happen so it will do it almost on its on, when it is supposed to. The problem is, you have to know what it needs to do LONG before it has to happen. Like on my mission to Eve in the stock game with FAR and DRE and RT2. The probe I sent to land there had a very specific place it was trying to land at, for a challenge that was posted in the challenge forums. I had to program in every step of the decent from deorbital burn to the actual landing almost 20min before they took place. The whole thing was a nightmare to pull off, and I didn't do it perfectly, the probe took some damage and was only able to transmit the information back to Kerbin for an hour before its battery died. But it survived re-entry and landing and was with in 400m of my target cordinates. By far my most rewarding mission to date.

I was looking through the thread and found metaphor's report about his mission to get some samples of martian soil. :rolleyes: I like it and I thought it would be a good Idea to try to do it myself. That's what I've done!

http://imgur.com/a/tapDR

1.Set the celestial body(or vessel) you want to be in the same plane with as target.

2.Skip time until you are under the orbit of desired target.

3.Launch!

4.Start gravity assist turn in the needed direction in advance. Also correct your inclination during the launch, it's more efficient to correct it before you gain high velocity.

Thanks for the info can't wait to try it when I get home. Love RSS but this issue was perplexing me. Thanks again!!!

The game likes to crash during EVA on RSS Kerbin. The last lines of the unity log are:

Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

(Filename: Line: 155)

Look rotation viewing vector is zero

(Filename: Line: 63)

Look rotation viewing vector is zero

(Filename: Line: 63)

dest.radius>=0.0f

(Filename: ../../Core/Common/src/CapsuleShape.cpp Line: 133)

dest.radius>=0.0f

(Filename: ../../Core/Common/src/CapsuleShape.cpp Line: 133)

dest.radius>=0.0f

(Filename: ../../Core/Common/src/BoxShape.cpp Line: 126)

dest.radius>=0.0f

(Filename: ../../Core/Common/src/SphereShape.cpp Line: 96)

Kerbals are sunk into the ground a bit with RSS. I'm using the high res colour and normal map for Kerbin. I'll try without later.

ok so MJ will not give me the required orbit incliantion at any height also my probes explode when the run out of fuel. am tottaly baffled

Try updating to the newest dev build of MechJeb, build 260 didn't like RSS for some reason, but 262 seems ok. As for the probes, that doesn't sound like an RSS issue...

Hey NathanKell: I've been doing some more work for this pack, including atmospheric level/ASL stuff and the PQS fade distance is really beginning to become a jarrial visual issue. I was wandering if there'd be any way you might be able to look into this? I'm still not 100% sure which end this is on, RSS or EVE, but I have a feeling it is RSS. This is what the atmosphere layers look like descending into titan:

PSfFy3b.png

Try updating to the newest dev build of MechJeb, build 260 didn't like RSS for some reason, but 262 seems ok. As for the probes, that doesn't sound like an RSS issue...

ok so got latest dev build how ever still wont give me a polar orbit it still gives me 090 orbit no matter what i stick in the ascent module, i read something someplace about using caps lock to change omething but i dont know how or when with in the game.

Is there a way to make water surface to look blue instead of being transparent? It looks quite weird and is practically invisible from small altitudes which is kind of a dangerous thing when flying.

You shouldn't ever collide with it since 0 on the altimeter is always valid (except plateaus I suppose). AFAIK water is a known issue of unknown cause. Nathan chose to model the terrain to be as accurate as possible which basically means very shallow water on Kerbin in exchange for tall mountains and such.

ok so got latest dev build how ever still wont give me a polar orbit it still gives me 090 orbit no matter what i stick in the ascent module, i read something someplace about using caps lock to change omething but i dont know how or when with in the game.

First, are you trying to do an automatic MJ launch? Second, can you post a screenshot of your MechJeb ascent window.

I'm having a problem with sunk kerbals too. This is what Jeb and his rover look like off the launch pad with a clean install of RSS 6.2. Replaced it with 6.1 and loaded the same save and he's not eating pavement anymore.

Kp3evLI.jpg

Things are also sunk in a bit on the moon. I tried landing a heavy lander; it sunk in and wouldn't let me switch away because it was "about to crash".

First, are you trying to do an automatic MJ launch? Second, can you post a screenshot of your MechJeb ascent window.

As requested. I am not doing a auto launch , as you can see in the 2 pics , craft just wont turn and the inclination in the orbit window dosnt change ever. when it dose it turns to 090 and stays there .

kerbalmj_zpsd0c4fc67.png

kerballlaunch2_zps8d066739.png

Ok I don't understand what you're doing at all. Firstly, your orbit altitude is extremely high but I suppose that's how you want it. Now, your gravity turn settings are completely wrong. "Final flight path angle" means the angle at which your ship will be pointing when the turn is over, which leads me to the second issue. Since you're launching in such a high orbit, you should do the turn something like 2km start (which I assume is when you reach 100m/s) and 300km end. Final angle should be 35-45 since 0 would be wasting fuel.

In short, it doesn't work because you told it to go straight up. Also I think you're running the old RemoteTech, should definitely get the new community made one.

mmmm ok will get new remote tech, i know what i am doing works because i did it with my com sat network which is set up every 10 degress around earth and in LEO i had no troble with mj then . as for the height well 36000 is spce high which i need to complete science over the poles and tundra so i can get 300 points t spend on 3rd tear landing structs so i can get mj manoring module . i cant do it with a manned mission as kerbalnought gets stuck on eva and i cant do a thing with him or make a eva report .

mmmm ok will get new remote tech, i know what i am doing works because i did it with my com sat network which is set up every 10 degress around earth and in LEO i had no troble with mj then . as for the height well 36000 is spce high which i need to complete science over the poles and tundra so i can get 300 points t spend on 3rd tear landing structs so i can get mj manoring module . i cant do it with a manned mission as kerbalnought gets stuck on eva and i cant do a thing with him or make a eva report .

Are you sure it works? Final flight path angle of 180° should have you pointing backwards not on a heading of 180°. Also, you said you're not doing it automatically, but you have the autopilot engaged, which is exactly what I meant. My recommendation is to launch into a much lower orbit (~200km) and then burn out to where you need to go, and I would do it manually as MechJeb ascent autopilot isn't the happiest with RSS + FAR.

ok so the new remotetech has just rendered my main engines and fuel tanks inoperable , VAB says tank cant hold resorces , so either i ned to somehow reinstall everything and somehow keep my progress and ships or , hell i dont know. am using the dev version of MJ whichi am asured works with RSS.