[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Jumping back a few posts... Have all of the problems with EVE been worked out yet? Been wanting to have it back since I moved to RSS for the second time, but it always seemed too buggy to make work...

The PQS fade distance thing can be fixed (sort of) by forcing the PQS/ScaledSpace switch to happen before the glitch appears, at around 130 km. You can do this by changing the node in the RSS config to this:

SSFStart = 78000
SSFEnd = 80000
PQSfadeStart = 80000
PQSfadeEnd = 120000
PQSSecfadeStart = 80000
PQSSecfadeEnd = 120000
PQSdeactivateAltitude = 125000

NB: this won't cover up the issue when at ground level looking up however, the only way to avoid this is by not having any 2D PQS atmosphere layers.. but then there will be a dedicated opne just for this with the new EVE Overhaul; 9.3

Edited by pingopete

Hey Nathan, I've got one for you:

Using pretty much exclusively recommended mods, I occasionally run into a problem where I'll go to launch a vessel and it'll bug out (displaying the earth from far above, hard to explain. I'll snap a screenshot when it happens next.), and when I revert to the VAB the name of the ship changes to "Vessel Name" and I have to create a new ship.

I have yet to find a common thread in all of these ships except either: RCS pods, or AIES fuel tanks, but those are purely speculation. There's just too many factors. Is this one you've seen before? I only ask here because I never once saw it before using RO/RSS, and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong.

I've had some trouble with AIES parts recently that may be relevant. In that case I was using the Legstrot landing legs on a lunar lander which would then glitch out and erase itself if you ever went back to visit the site (wanted to leave the lander descent stages on the Moon indefinitely somewhat like memorials). Anyway, it turned out that loading those parts would cause the game to spew about a thousand NRE's and then the part would be deleted, causing the whole vessel to be deleted. Ultimately, the only way I was able to get the issue fixed was to replace the whole lander base on the surface with non-AIES legs. I did try editing the save file to swap the legs, but couldn't get it to work correctly.

Anways, I'm not sure if this has any bearing on your issue, but it could be those AIES tanks glitching in the same or similar way.

I think it's almost always been AIES parts, as I really don't use anything else besides Soviet Engines, Procedural Tanks, and the like. The only parts mod I'm using that isn't gutted down to the engines/structural bits is AIES. Real Fuels (I think?) is also giving me some issues with using non-Procedural Tanks, but that's easily enough circumvented with procedurals. I think AIES RCS are the only ones I end up using, and this problem almost always seems to happen when I build satellites or other RCS heavy vessels.

Nathan: Where would I go to find a log if the game didn't actually crash? I'll make sure to grab it next time and you can see if it's relevant to your development/bugfixing.

Edited by woahprettyricky

I think it's almost always been AIES parts, as I really don't use anything else besides Soviet Engines, Procedural Tanks, and the like. The only parts mod I'm using that isn't gutted down to the engines/structural bits is AIES. Real Fuels (I think?) is also giving me some issues with using non-Procedural Tanks, but that's easily enough circumvented with procedurals. I think AIES RCS are the only ones I end up using, and this problem almost always seems to happen when I build satellites or other RCS heavy vessels.

Nathan: Where would I go to find a log if the game didn't actually crash? I'll make sure to grab it next time and you can see if it's relevant to your development/bugfixing.

The output_log.txt (and all other logs for that matter) is generated every time you run the game so you can just pull it out of KSP_Data after you close the game.

Upload your output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Wow what a horrible sharing site. Can't even download the log without signing up or signing in with some social network. Not going to happen.

Dude get Dropbox. Its free, no bullshit, and what everyone here uses :)

You need to update Exsurgent Engineering (see the "B9 0.23 fixes" thread) and...what version of Real Fuels are you running? Probably need to update that. If it's up to date, you have an installation issue where mods are both adding the same resource. Delete RealFuels\TACLS.cfg (or whatever it's named) and delete ThunderAerospace\TACLS MFT \ AddResources.cfg (or whatever the path is).

Tweakscale is also having problems; remove it from any parts that also have RF modules (like engines or tanks).

Tweakscale getting installed was when I first noticed it, come to think of it. RealFuels was deleted and reinstalled when I first noticed the problem with it, so it must be the issue you're talking about. How would I go about removing Tweakscale from modules that also have realfuel modules?

You need to update Exsurgent Engineering (see the "B9 0.23 fixes" thread) and...what version of Real Fuels are you running? Probably need to update that. If it's up to date, you have an installation issue where mods are both adding the same resource. Delete RealFuels\TACLS.cfg (or whatever it's named) and delete ThunderAerospace\TACLS MFT \ AddResources.cfg (or whatever the path is).

Tweakscale is also having problems; remove it from any parts that also have RF modules (like engines or tanks).

Nathan i'd love to get some clarification on this issue you say exists between RF and TweakScale, especially since RO by default is configuring tanks to use TweakScale (and I added more tanks).

The TweakScale thread says that it IS compatible with RF, and I personally haven't noticed any issues either.

I'm not saying issues don't exist, i'm just trying to get some clarity.

According to the Issues page, it's not. (It's also not changing tank volume the way it should, at least in the code in git.)

If it works for you, let me know; I get mixed reports. It may also be that since I released a RF build since it was released, the references fail to load the plugin?

According to the Issues page, it's not. (It's also not changing tank volume the way it should, at least in the code in git.)

If it works for you, let me know; I get mixed reports. It may also be that since I released a RF build since it was released, the references fail to load the plugin?

Interesting. Maybe i'm just missing fuel and never noticed :P Let me do some tests and get back to you.

Yeah I see the issue you raised on GitHub now. I was going by the release post in the TweakScale thread where it says it supports RF:

Integration with Modular Fuel Tanks, Real Fuels and KSP Interstellar

TweakScale correctly changes fuel volumes on tanks using Modular Fuel Tanks and Real Fuels.

Hey Nathan, I've got one for you:

Using pretty much exclusively recommended mods, I occasionally run into a problem where I'll go to launch a vessel and it'll bug out (displaying the earth from far above, hard to explain. I'll snap a screenshot when it happens next.), and when I revert to the VAB the name of the ship changes to "Vessel Name" and I have to create a new ship.

I have yet to find a common thread in all of these ships except either: RCS pods, or AIES fuel tanks, but those are purely speculation. There's just too many factors. Is this one you've seen before? I only ask here because I never once saw it before using RO/RSS, and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong.

thats the prob that happens to me when i use any rcs tank and rcs thrusters i did post it , and ive not played since i posted

This mod looks really awesome but I guess this mod need much ram? if so I will wait till 64bit 0.24.

All maps are 8192px and it will reque a loots of ram. At this moment it use 4,5GB. Interesting what will be later :)

All maps are 8192px and it will reque a loots of ram. At this moment it use 4,5GB. Interesting what will be later :)

But at the moment ksp can only use max 4 gb ram right? how is 4,5 gb ram possible then?

But at the moment ksp can only use max 4 gb ram right? how is 4,5 gb ram possible then?

There's a 64 bit hack and in a few days when 0.24 comes out stock KSP will have a 64 bit version.

So, apologies. While I have a working version of the code for .24 x64, I've decided to hold off on uploading because I want to fully integrate the amazing new planet maps that dimonnomid has prepared, and to do that requires (a) tweaking the code a bit more, (B) rearranging the planets (so this will require either a new save or some SFS editing if you have craft in orbit around the affected planets), and © another round of testing.

If you are desperate to get RSS working in .24 I can PM you preview code, but I encourage you to wait; the rest of the realism suite needs updating too.