[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Thanks will try that. Because if I just add ONE mod, it dosent load anymore with 8k. Man I want 64 bits now, more than ever.

You can always mix and match textures. For example, I know that I'll spend most of my time in the Earth-Moon system and Mars. So I have 8k maps for all those. Phobos and Deimos are small so I can get away with 2k textures there. I also know I'll be sending probes to Venus, but Im using RVE, so I won't need an 8k color and normalmap.

I know I won't be attempting landings on any of the outer planets or Mercury anytime soon, so I just use 2k for those. This gives me enough spare memory to run B9, KW, NFPP and only barely hit 2Gb

One bug I've discovered so far, is that there is a 3x3 cross of surface "Tiles" floating over over the launch pad at the site in Israel (I forget the name off hand along with the site in China that I'm mentioning next) and there is a hole with the launch pad protruding over it at a site in China. I'll post screenies the next time I get a chance. I'll also visit the other sites and have a comprehensive list of ones with similiar issues, if any.

Again, I love the mod!

Ah sorry for not replying I kinda gave up because I was getting pissed off even when I get though the first barrier my plane will flip out even though its too stable in kerbin's atomophere from 7500ms 50km or so up down to 80ms for landing at 200m.

Same thing happens in Duna's atmosphere I don't break apart part but my space plain is aerodynamically unstable. This is with all fuel at 100% most of the time I did it with hyper edit but then I just did infinite fuel to EVE and I still broke up or flipped out.

And its clean breaks no part destruction and the G's don't actually change I noticed actually so its just randomly falling apart when I lot at the mission looked at my max G's were only 1.1G and that was probably from spiralling. rather than the force which ripped the hole plane apart. I'll just try building something more basic just to test that it is a bug with the atmosphere and not the plane.

But I spent ages on that plane to make it capable of Lunching from Kerbin and being able to land and take off anywhere apart from Jool and Tyloo Not enough fuel and TWR.

And no I'm using DR 6.2.1 Should I be using the Beta doesn't that means its still in testing? And the change log says nothing about fixing those kinds of things.

Also I checked it with a MUCH simpler plane using hyper edit so if that is potentially a problem I can manually fly it there with infinite fuel. cba actually flying it there with rocket when I'm only doing a test to fix bugs.

Further more I should note that I wasn't having this problem with stock kerbin the centre of lift would not change from Kerbin to other planets.

Although I did use part clipping on both planes... I'll try without part clipping.

Edited by etheoma

Thanks will try that. Because if I just add ONE mod, it dosent load anymore with 8k. Man I want 64 bits now, more than ever.

You can PM NathanKell about 64bit, or try using LoadOnDemand to stop part textures from being constantly loaded.

Ah sorry for not replying I kinda gave up because I was getting pissed off even when I get though the first barrier my plane will flip out even though its too stable in kerbin's atomophere from 7500ms 50km or so up down to 80ms for landing at 200m.

Same thing happens in Duna's atmosphere I don't break apart part but my space plain is aerodynamically unstable. This is with all fuel at 100% most of the time I did it with hyper edit but then I just did infinite fuel to EVE and I still broke up or flipped out.

And its clean breaks no part destruction and the G's don't actually change I noticed actually so its just randomly falling apart when I lot at the mission looked at my max G's were only 1.1G and that was probably from spiralling. rather than the force which ripped the hole plane apart. I'll just try building something more basic just to test that it is a bug with the atmosphere and not the plane.

But I spent ages on that plane to make it capable of Lunching from Kerbin and being able to land and take off anywhere apart from Jool and Tyloo Not enough fuel and TWR.

edit: oops, just saw your older post where you said it was turned off.

Sounds like FAR ripping your plane apart with its Aerodynamic Failures feature. Even back when I used FAR I disabled that because I felt it was unnecessarily and unrealistically harsh. That said however, if your plane is losing control then it's more likely to be your design than 'a bug with the atmosphere'. If you're deorbiting in any sort of space plane then you need to design carefully, especially if it's an unpowered reentry.

How do I use this mod simply to make a 10X kerbin and kerbal solar system? What mod does make a 10X kerbal system?

Front page. Links are there to exactly what you're looking for. Also to 6.4x Kerbol system.

Edited by Starwaster

Front page. Links are there to exactly what you're looking for. Also to 6.4x Kerbol system.

Does it still work? Last time I used that was .23 and it had problems with EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements.

Update: Well it does not work in WIN64 mode.

Edited by RuBisCO

Maybe this question has been asked already (is there a FAQ?) but why is it the entire solar system has an inclination of around 23°? Doesn't make sense. I understand that the real Moon has an inclination (wikipedia has it as 5.14°) But for me at least, every object in the game when using this mod has this weird inclination.

Also, is there any way to rename the planets so instead of Kerbin we get Earth, etc.?

Maybe this question has been asked already (is there a FAQ?) but why is it the entire solar system has an inclination of around 23°? Doesn't make sense. I understand that the real Moon has an inclination (wikipedia has it as 5.14°) But for me at least, every object in the game when using this mod has this weird inclination.

Also, is there any way to rename the planets so instead of Kerbin we get Earth, etc.?

Because one of the parameters KSP doesn't allow us to change is axial tilt. Everything's spinning on the same axis, unfortunately. So we approximate Earth's axial tilt by changing the inclination of everything else's orbit appropriately. As far as renaming planets is concerned, I believe there's a limitation in place that a few of them are hardcoded, I'll let NathanKell explain that further since I'm not really sure.

Because one of the parameters KSP doesn't allow us to change is axial tilt. Everything's spinning on the same axis, unfortunately. So we approximate Earth's axial tilt by changing the inclination of everything else's orbit appropriately. As far as renaming planets is concerned, I believe there's a limitation in place that a few of them are hardcoded, I'll let NathanKell explain that further since I'm not really sure.

It's technically possible to rename them and I think you can even do it through the config file, but in the immortal words of Egon....

LaPOhaBl.gif

Ahh, OK. Thanks for the quick explanation! Another thing I just realized, the game is still using the Kerbin 6 hour day (and whatever a year is defined as) notation. Kind of drives me nuts since I use Mechjeb and the info windows for orbits, etc. will show years and days but as you warp time the numbers count down in strange ways. I guess that's hard-coded into KSP too? Bummer if so.

Ahh, OK. Thanks for the quick explanation! Another thing I just realized, the game is still using the Kerbin 6 hour day (and whatever a year is defined as) notation. Kind of drives me nuts since I use Mechjeb and the info windows for orbits, etc. will show years and days but as you warp time the numbers count down in strange ways. I guess that's hard-coded into KSP too? Bummer if so.

That you can change in KSP's settings

OK, bad me, found this: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/FAQ-and-Troubleshooting

Sometimes forums aren't the best way to find information.

Ok so I'm unsure weather I have posted this bug here before I think I accidently put it on the realism overhaul page.

Anyway here is my problem http://youtu.be/Y0lSh-oUCRw

At around 2:13 my plane starts wobbling around and then disintegrates this is not because my AOT went too high or anything like that also its not Mech Jeb because I just before that descended though the Kerbin atmos with mechjeb MUCH more aggressively.

I have updated both FAR and Deadly Reentry to there latest versions and it didn't even improve the problem its made it a little bit worse because as soon as I hit the atmos descending at around 30ms my plane goes crazy for a bit, then settles out instantly.

Its not an aerodynamic failure heat or G's that are the problem reason one I know that is because the flight data says its a joint failure second in previous flights I disabled aerodynamic failures turned the heat multiplier to 0 and was descending VERY slowly around 0.5 - 5 ms same thing happens.

I know in the video I am using physical acceleration but I did this like 20 times without even though in 1 or 2 attempts out of the 30 - 40 I have done I got lower down into the atmos and even managed to get down to 18km before my plane got completely blown up travelling at around 40ms.

Anyways anyone know what I should do to fix this bug, also before installing RSS I could descend into stock Jool and got down to 10-20km without any problems so I know how to decent though I think atmos with DR and FAR, and again I was being more careful here, and also this is a bug with RSS not anything else.

Edited by etheoma

Anyways anyone know what I should do to fix this bug, also before installing RSS I could descend into stock Jool and got down to 10-20km without any problems so I know how to decent though I think atmos with DR and FAR, and again I was being more careful here, and also this is a bug with RSS not anything else.

Stock Jool isn't Jupiter. Jupiter isn't stock Jool. In RSS, atmospheric entry velocities are much higher, and atmospheric densities are adjusted to match the real planets. Notice how you're going over 5 km/s when your spaceplane disintegrates.

Also, MechJeb can have issues trying to keep planes level with FAR aerodynamics installed. I think there's optional FAR modules out there for MechJeb, otherwise you can switch to using FAR's aerodynamic assistance and more manual piloting.

Stock Jool isn't Jupiter. Jupiter isn't stock Jool. In RSS, atmospheric entry velocities are much higher, and atmospheric densities are adjusted to match the real planets. Notice how you're going over 5 km/s when your spaceplane disintegrates.

Also, MechJeb can have issues trying to keep planes level with FAR aerodynamics installed. I think there's optional FAR modules out there for MechJeb, otherwise you can switch to using FAR's aerodynamic assistance and more manual piloting.

The Frac SL density is 0.001 your wrong, you can descend with aerodynamic failures enabled though a Frac SL density of 0.002 - 0.003 at 5km also aerodynamic faluires were disabled which means I could desend almost as fast as I liked without problem if I disabled Deadly reentry which you can see by the flight log that it was not a G limit Aerodynamic Failure or heat damage.

And the point about Stock Jool was that it has a higher density atmos than RSS Eve... Thought that was obvious...

Also before now I had been more carful and was getting blown up at 95 - 105km in which the Frac SL density is less than 0.001 in otherwords showing 0.000 which like you can use your reaction wheel to overcome the aerodynamic forces at those densities

Edited by etheoma

The Frac SL density is 0.001 your wrong, you can descend with aerodynamic failures enabled though a Frac SL density of 0.002 - 0.003 at 5km also aerodynamic faluires were disabled which means I could desend almost as fast as I liked without problem if I disabled Deadly reentry which you can see by the flight log that it was not a G limit Aerodynamic Failure or heat damage.

And the point about Stock Jool was that it has a higher density atmos than RSS Eve... Thought that was obvious...

You seem somewhat agitated. You'll probably get better results if you ask in a slightly less accusatory manner.

That aside, I watched your video, and it definitely doesn't look right, but it is possible for things to break apart from aerodynamic or other stresses in stock KSP, it's just not very likely. Looks like the trigger for the rapid unplanned disassembly was the joint between the bicoupler and the cargo bay this time, has that consistently been the case?

Also, I think I missed what planet you were trying to enter / re-enter? That'd be useful information.

Just to be sure:

• Which Deadly Reentry multiplier are you referring to exactly?
  • Is this the Deadly Reentry 6.2.1 beta?
  • Are any parts being destroyed or are they all separating cleanly without part destruction?

I took apart the Eve pressure curve data in the Unity curve editor and it looks fine. Temperature curve does have a bit of a spike/fluctuation from 96-100 km which would affect density. I don't know how severe an effect that would actually inflict in FAR but the potential is there I suppose.

If you don't mind some config editing, try replacing Eve's temperature curve with the following and see if you still have trouble. (smoothed out the area from 96-100 km. If that was based on real data then now... it's not. Or maybe there was an error in that data, I have no idea. But this smooths out the spike)

key = 0 462.15 0 -7.71
key = 2 446.73 -7.71 -7.71
key = 4 431.31 -7.71 -7.71
key = 6 415.89 -7.71 -7.71
key = 8 400.47 -7.71 -7.71
key = 10 385.05 -7.71 -7.75
key = 12 369.55 -7.75 -7.75
key = 14 354.05 -7.75 -7.75
key = 16 338.55 -7.75 -7.75
key = 18 323.05 -7.75 -7.75
key = 20 307.55 -7.75 -8.38
key = 22 290.79 -8.38 -8.38
key = 24 274.03 -8.38 -8.38
key = 26 257.27 -8.38 -8.38
key = 28 240.51 -8.38 -8.38
key = 30 223.75 -8.38 -7.93
key = 32 207.89 -7.93 -7.93
key = 34 192.03 -7.93 -7.93
key = 36 176.17 -7.93 -7.93
key = 38 160.31 -7.93 -7.93
key = 40 144.45 -7.93 -6.71
key = 42 131.03 -6.71 -6.71
key = 44 117.61 -6.71 -6.71
key = 46 104.19 -6.71 -6.71
key = 48 90.77 -6.71 -6.71
key = 50 77.35 -6.71 -8.77
key = 52 59.81 -8.77 -8.77
key = 54 42.27 -8.77 -8.77
key = 56 24.73 -8.77 -8.77
key = 58 7.19 -8.77 -8.77
key = 60 -10.35 -8.77 -3.3
key = 62 -16.95 -3.3 -3.3
key = 64 -23.55 -3.3 -3.3
key = 66 -30.15 -3.3 -3.3
key = 68 -36.75 -3.3 -3.3
key = 70 -43.35 -3.3 -3.27
key = 72 -49.89 -3.27 -3.27
key = 74 -56.43 -3.27 -3.27
key = 76 -62.97 -3.27 -3.27
key = 78 -69.51 -3.27 -3.27
key = 80 -76.05 -3.27 -2.77
key = 82 -81.59 -2.77 -2.77
key = 84 -87.13 -2.77 -2.77
key = 86 -92.67 -2.77 -2.77
key = 88 -98.21 -2.77 -2.77
key = 90 -103.75 -2.77 0.45
key = 92 -102.85 0.45 0.45
key = 94 -101.95 0.45 0.45
key = 95.9916 -100.9254 0.4959106 0.4959106
key = 98.00589 -100.1489 0.1907349 0.1907349
key = 99.97812 -100.3879 -0.4959106 -0.4959106
key = 102 -102.43 -1.59 -1.59
key = 104 -105.61 -1.59 -1.59
key = 106 -108.79 -1.59 -1.59
key = 108 -111.97 -1.59 -1.59
key = 110 -115.15 -1.59 0.1
key = 112 -114.95 0.1 0.1
key = 114 -114.75 0.1 0.1
key = 116 -114.55 0.1 0.1
key = 118 -114.35 0.1 0.1
key = 120 -114.15 0.1 0.78
key = 122 -112.59 0.78 0.78
key = 124 -111.03 0.78 0.78
key = 126 -109.47 0.78 0.78
key = 128 -107.91 0.78 0.78
key = 130 -106.35 0.78 0.94
key = 132 -104.47 0.94 0.94
key = 134 -102.59 0.94 0.94
key = 136 -100.71 0.94 0.94
key = 138 -98.83 0.94 0.94

Yeah and no its not heat if you look at my post two before this there is a video of what happens and I have my most heat sensitive parts highlighted at I don't even think they got out of the negatives, also the flight logs show Structural linkage failure not aerodynamic failure or G which also I'm pretty sure G limit blows up parts what happens is the parts fall off after my ship gets hit with a phantom force.

You seem somewhat agitated. You'll probably get better results if you ask in a slightly less accusatory manner.

That aside, I watched your video, and it definitely doesn't look right, but it is possible for things to break apart from aerodynamic or other stresses in stock KSP, it's just not very likely. Looks like the trigger for the rapid unplanned disassembly was the joint between the bicoupler and the cargo bay this time, has that consistently been the case?

Also, I think I missed what planet you were trying to enter / re-enter? That'd be useful information.

Sorry if I'm testy but I already had people say it was because I was descending to fast when I had specifically said my decent path was REALLY shallow. Eve although I did think it was redundant to say it , I did write a post 10 times longer detailing everything but I cut it down because all the information was in the video.

It is always that joint but I have also tried other planes and they all do the same thing, i even tried the B9 medium sized fuselage system same thing happened. And again this has been tested on RSS Kerbin stock Kerbin stock Jool stock Duna stock Eve and it worked on all of them with deadly reetry and ferram with perfect results.

Edited by etheoma

Sorry if I'm testy but I already had people say it was because I was descending to fast when I had specifically said my decent path was REALLY shallow. Eve although I did think it was redundant to say it , I did write a post 10 times longer detailing everything but I cut it down because all the information was in the video.

It is always that joint but I have also tried other planes and they all do the same thing, i even tried the B9 medium sized fuselage system same thing happened. And again this has been tested on RSS Kerbin stock Kerbin stock Jool stock Duna stock Eve and it worked on all of them with deadly reetry and ferram with perfect results.

Your descent speed isn't really relevant to what people are telling you. A Mach 25 reentry is a Mach 25 reentry no matter how fast your actual descent rate is.

And it's not just a matter of being testy, you're coming in here seeking help because you don't know enough about what's happening and you're looking for people that do. So you need to be more cooperative with those people when they try to help you and follow their direction.

Let's start with some log files. Your logs will tell us everything about your installation that we can't get from your video or from questioning you.

Your descent speed isn't really relevant to what people are telling you. A Mach 25 reentry is a Mach 25 reentry no matter how fast your actual descent rate is.

And it's not just a matter of being testy, you're coming in here seeking help because you don't know enough about what's happening and you're looking for people that do. So you need to be more cooperative with those people when they try to help you and follow their direction.

Let's start with some log files. Your logs will tell us everything about your installation that we can't get from your video or from questioning you.

As I explained the Frac SL density is the density of the air therefore is a major component in what forces will be applied to your craft.

A Frac SL density of less than 0.001 is negligible to ripping your craft apart you can pitch your craft to pancaked into the jet stream at 10kms 20kms and you would maybe pull 0.05G maybe 0.5G.

I have played with Ferrem for a long time I know its limits, where I was if I were to pancake I probably would pull 5G which is significant but not enough to rip your craft apart with aerodynamic failures disabled.

God at the highest I was at when the ship has dissembled in other flights though Eve which is 108-115km above Eve sea level you should be basically able to go though the atmos as fast as you like within limits obviously, but we were talking about speeds you wouldn't think of going into an atoms at like 50kms+

I know this from other planets in stock at similar air densities and yes it shouldn't matter weather its RSS with Ferram or stock with ferrem similar air densities should provide similar results at similar speeds. Obviously the hieghts at which the air densities change are going to be different and at sea level the densities will be lower or higher but it doesn't change the fact that you should get simmliar resualts when your taking about the air densities you are encountering at that moment

Its a bug... believe me I have been playing with FAR for at least a year and a half at least 10 hours a week with all types of space planes.

Edited by etheoma

also you mean the output_log.txt its rather big to put it here 5.51MB of text.

well here is a download http://www./view/47j24ewhwiungdl/output_log.txt

Yeh don't bother trying to view it in the view just download it doesn't look like Media fire can open .txt... which seems kinda stange to have a viewer and not to be able to view .txt

Edited by etheoma
adding link

also you mean the output_log.txt its rather big to put it here 5.51MB of text.

well here is a download http://www./view/47j24ewhwiungdl/output_log.txt

Yeh don't bother trying to view it in the view just download it doesn't look like Media fire can open .txt... which seems kinda stange to have a viewer and not to be able to view .txt

It would be a good thing for you to provide a save file with a single craft on approach to Eve. That would be the easiest way to try to reproduce your problem. (stock or B9 parts on the plane please)

I have a setup that I can try that with but I don't have the time to put together a plane and launch it and send it to Eve.

Edit:

And regarding your other post, any density changes are coming primarily from FAR utilizing pressure and temperature, which is why I mentioned Eve's temperature curve below (Edit: Above! I meant above. Previously). It affects density. If there really is a bug in RSS it can ONLY be in the temperature or pressure curve. RSS doesn't have anything else that can affect density except those two things. FAR does everything else including actual density implementation and application of the forces that are destroying your plane. You might have been playing with FAR for a year and a half but I've contributed code and support to RSS for as long as it's been around and I know how it works internally.

Edited by Starwaster