BSC: Albatross 3  

1. 1. BSC: Albatross 3

• antbin - Ahlbetossed 4b
    • Ekku Zakku - Ensoku
    • GusTurbo - Albatross 18
    • mcirish3 - Condor
    • Octagon - Diamond Flyer
    • Sirine - The Albatross

I admit that I did bend the rules a bit. My approach was to look at what the Albatross 3 is currently, and then think about what it should be, trying to fulfill a similar role in the process. One of my fatal flaws was that I didn't test it enough, which is why the range isn't great and why it could control better. It was a lot of fun though.

I admit that I did bend the rules a bit. My approach was to look at what the Albatross 3 is currently, and then think about what it should be, trying to fulfill a similar role in the process. One of my fatal flaws was that I didn't test it enough, which is why the range isn't great and why it could control better. It was a lot of fun though.

that's the point isn't it? have fun challenging ourselves, sometimes outside our comfort zone, and creatively come up with something that we're proud of? pathetic ballot-stuffing for some imaginary status in a fictional internet contest hardly seems to be something that should bring any well adjusted person satisfaction.. my first and only challenge entry was for the heavy lander, and though i didn't even make it to the finals i'm really happy with the final product and still use it in my day-to-day kerballing

Congratulations to Ekku Zakku with his Ensoku - a worthy winner and thanks to Xeldrak for hosting this challenge!

I had much fun participating in it and learned quite a lot about planes - a part of the game I previously did not spend much time with.

Ok so I've been flying a bunch of planes today and yours is the first (possibly ever) to be yaw stable!!!

Thanks! I think the main reason is that I designed my plane to be not only horizontal-symmetric but also mostly vertical-symmetric.

So as an experiment I reworked the plane to be completely vertical-symmetric and the resulting plane can land on both sides.

AWESOME!!! I'm really excited that I managed to put a plane together that was worthy of winning this challenge, thanks so much to everybody who voted for me! Hopefully I'll do this well next time around XD

I did quite enjoy the aesthetic of my plane, I thought it looked pretty cool, and I also put a lot of work in to make it fly well (such as the inclined rudders that Rhomphaia mentioned, to yaw through the center of mass). Now I can say for sure that it's the best plane I've ever made!

Also, do I get an e-cookie for winning? XD

Edited by Ekku Zakku

Congratulations Ekku Zakku! Your plane was a great joy to fly, I'm glad that it won the competition (you had my vote from the get-go even though I submitted an entry myself.) Hope to see you in the next BSC competition as you bring a lot of talent to the table to work with/against :D

Congratulations Ekku Zakku! Your plane was a great joy to fly, I'm glad that it won the competition (you had my vote from the get-go even though I submitted an entry myself.) Hope to see you in the next BSC competition as you bring a lot of talent to the table to work with/against :D

Yeah, I figured that I did (I'm a freaking natural at KSP, some might even call me a genius XD), the one thing I can't bring though is time xAx that's why I've missed all of the BSC challenges up until now lol. Thanks for your support!

Yeah that about summarizes it! Your's is good for sure and by no means do I think the looks were not amazing but as I mentioned once before in this competition it's not about being able to design an 8 or 9 you need a 10 to win and the Ensoku is just the complete package. Attractive looks, long range, and some of the best control I've EVER seen in a KSP craft. And hey for next time you know to get in a bit more testing time!

Oh, FYI, for anyone planning on building another long-winged high altitude plane, this seems to be the only way to use Delta wings (which have 3x the lift of a plain box wing). I recommend putting the first delta wing on backwards, it should improve the yaw-roll coupling.

k7NiAk7.png

I figured out a way to improve passenger jet appearance: place a Mk.2 fuselage at the bottom of the Mk.3 fuselage. It eliminates that reentry tiles look and gives it a better shape. See here:

CTRjeIQh.jpg

Ohu2TjXh.jpg

UXkR6Hzh.jpg

Edited by GusTurbo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.