[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Use these parts mod. They are all functional parts and they also can take science. He is going to make a few more, but probably after the holidays.

The models from Scansat mod were only place holders.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

How does one go about getting science from this mod? Or is that not implemented yet?

and the second, looks like we have a difference with logitude ! (it say 128 while it 231)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6wrfccla7his1o/Screenshot%202013-12-14%2000.49.23.png

This isn't a bug, KSP is telling you that the rover is at 231.5 degrees East, SCANsat is telling you that the rover is at -128.5 degrees East, ie 128.5 degrees West. 128.5 + 231.5 = 360 degrees. It's just a different way to express longitude/latitude.

there are a cupple of problems, maybe bugs ?

it didn't identify the object, why ? (structure not found !)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvdddyfk21nuhle/Screenshot%202013-12-14%2000.45.57.png

It says UFO in the bottom left & title of the instruments window. The "No structures found" means buildings, a bit misleading, I might admit. Drive a rover around the space center, see what it finds :-)

Yes, Harv talked about 8 new biomes for Minmus during the KerbalCon stream. The only body that I heard mentioned was Minmus, so I'm not sure if any others got biomes (I doubt it).

The EVA Map thing is just awesome.

To get SCIENCE! from this mod:

To be honest I'm not 100% sure how I did this, but I can tell you that once I had my map around 80% (give or take), I right clicked on the Radar sensor and chose one of the options (I don't remember off-hand which one). Normally when I do this I get the science report dialog with 0 points. But this time I got something like 5 or 10 points, so I transmitted it, and I did get science points.

I'm assuming (someone please chime in here), that there are thresholds setup, that you must have X % of the map done with Y sensor before you get Z number of data from it ?? (Can anyone confirm that?)

That's just all sorts of brilliant! (I don't remember seeing a MapTraq part, though...)

"SCAN MapTraq®" is one of the original parts, though I'm using a different model for it that I found somewhere earlier in this thread. Should work with any of the sensors though. The BTDT sensor would probably also be a good choice. The parts need power, so I attached the sensor to the battery, then grabbed the battery.

I'm assuming (someone please chime in here), that there are thresholds setup, that you must have X % of the map done with Y sensor before you get Z number of data from it ?? (Can anyone confirm that?)

I believe the amount of science you receive from a scan is based on the % completion. I didn't think there was a threshold, but it's possible.

So this is kinda cool: I added the KAS "Attach" ability to the MapTraq, and it totally works as an EVA map!

RvK16dn.jpg

That's awesome... and the thought of hauling around a GPS unit that large makes me actually miss the old PLGR units. :D

This isn't a bug, KSP is telling you that the rover is at 231.5 degrees East, SCANsat is telling you that the rover is at -128.5 degrees East, ie 128.5 degrees West. 128.5 + 231.5 = 360 degrees. It's just a different way to express longitude/latitude.
It says UFO in the bottom left & title of the instruments window. The "No structures found" means buildings, a bit misleading, I might admit. Drive a rover around the space center, see what it finds :-)

Thank you all now it's clear :)

Hey guys. i really like this mod. But can someone help me. Im doing a scan of EVE and all i get is black/white grain results.

Thanks

That happens when you use the Multispectral Scanner on a planet that does not have defined biomes. As soon as the devs implement biomes on this planet, ScanSAT will show results.

I believe the amount of science you receive from a scan is based on the % completion. I didn't think there was a threshold, but it's possible.

Correct, it's based on percentage, more specifically coverage of the sensor you do the experiment with. But there is a threshold; no science below 30% coverage.

No, i have no direct indication to think the author of ScanSat has taken anything but maybe inspiration from the ISA-mapsat-mod.

There was no inspiration. I haven't seen mapsat's source code and I never really used it because I didn't like the way it worked.

it didn't identify the object, why ? (structure not found !)

It's related to how these objects are organized internally by the game. SCANsat finds structures if there are multiple named objects that you crash into. The KSC is very detailed in that regard but most other sites are not.

and the second, looks like we have a difference with logitude ! (it say 128 while it 231)

SCANsat displays longitude according to the definition that is commonly used on Earth, where it ranges from -180 W to + 180 E. As far as I can tell, KSP can't be trusted to give it in any specific range, so SCANsat normalizes geographical coordinates like this for everything it does.

Hey guys, I made a 1.25 meter scanner to stick on top of your rockets that looks a bit more realistic than the stock parts. I have it set up to do three different scan types but you can change that if you want in the config file. Just download and copy the rar contents to your GameData folder.

Here's a pic of it in Blender:

IQruKhK.png

And here's a pic of it in game:

Z6gIwTT.png

Download Here

Damny, I had a short dialogue with Majir about his new 3d mapping idea he has for resources. As of right now he has it scripted for a pretty cool looking altimeter heat map. Is that something that we may see happen in SCANsat? Will there be collaboration between the two mods so that we can have both a 2D map and a 3D overlay with Kethane integration? If so, can you speculate if it will change how SCANsat operates? And if not, could you provide some clarity as to why?

Hey guys, I made a 1.25 meter scanner to stick on top of your rockets that looks a bit more realistic than the stock parts. I have it set up to do three different scan types but you can change that if you want in the config file. Just download and copy the rar contents to your GameData folder.

Akatze, that's a most beautiful thing you modelled here.

However, let me say I doubt that part is being built in Kerbin, but rather it is imported from a parallel universe where a planet called Earth exists and most writings are in english: "This end UP" really doesn't sound very kerbal (would suggest, Kerbals use symbols like the upwards triangle to mean the same).

Akatze, that's a most beautiful thing you modelled here.

However, let me say I doubt that part is being built in Kerbin, but rather it is imported from a parallel universe where a planet called Earth exists and most writings are in english: "This end UP" really doesn't sound very kerbal (would suggest, Kerbals use symbols like the upwards triangle to mean the same).

Yeah, but what does "UP" mean in in space? LOL - Kerbals probably have a way to know which way is up, or do they really mean "Point this end towards the planet you want scanned"?

Oh yeah, awesome model, Akatze, I will definitely use that in my next game once .23 comes out.

...Well, I'm pretty sure the current build doesn't work in 0.23.

While I'm saying that, I'm pretty sure that you should not compile plugins for .NET 4.0 by now -- it has to be .NET 3.5. The version of C# itself can be higher, (I use C# 4, it works) but framework version needs to be 3.5.

If it's 4.0, it seems to work ok, but you can't use LINQ, while when you compile for 3.5 there are no problems with it. Not to mention it creates problems linking to your .DLL from something that is compiled for 3.5...

EDIT: On closer investigation, the cause of the breakage is the science changes in 0.23.

Edited by Mihara

EDIT: On closer investigation, the cause of the breakage is the science changes in 0.23.

That's what I found, too. I recompiled it against 3.5, and stubbed in the missing methods, and it works (other than the science features being broken now because I didn't bother implementing any functionality).

That's what I found, too. I recompiled it against 3.5, and stubbed in the missing methods, and it works (other than the science features being broken now because I didn't bother implementing any functionality).

Can you please upload that fix somewhere?