[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

So, what am I doing wrong? I just launched a satellite (with all 3 scanning items) in a 90 degrees inclined orbit around kerbin, started scanning but it only shows low resolution greyscale altimetry... When i try to 'start' the SCAN MapTraq (right click) it only gives me the option to open map. Only the RADA Alt. Senor has a 'Start/Stop' button.

MapTraq ONLY lets you view the map. The Radar Alt is providing you the low red grayscale. I'm assuming your third scanner is the Multispectral which only detects anomalies and Biomes. If you want High-Res altimetry, you need the SAR.

As Bananadealer [fixed] said, each has a different range. They aren't published anywhere, so you need to look at the part.cfg for each scanner to see the proper orbit.

Edited by Morden96

So, what am I doing wrong? I just launched a satellite (with all 3 scanning items) in a 90 degrees inclined orbit around kerbin, started scanning but it only shows low resolution greyscale altimetry... When i try to 'start' the SCAN MapTraq (right click) it only gives me the option to open map. Only the RADA Alt. Senor has a 'Start/Stop' button.

First thing to note, MapTraq is ONLY to allow you to view the map, it has absolutely no scanning features whatsoever.

There are 4 others, the BTDT, which is used to scan anomalies, you it has an affective range of 2km. You pretty much use it to find out the identify of an unknown anomaly.

The other 3 are used for low res, high maps scans as well as anomaly detection and biome identification. Place these 3 onto a single satellite if you wish.

I've found the best altitude to place the probe's orbit at is 440,000. This way you get a full planetary scan within 72 hrs of launch (assuming you have a 90° orbit) and all 3 scanners are at a relative optimal distance.

I'm up to about 44 in the thread so no promises on this not being mentioned before. And a couple of things before my feature requests, I'm assuming that they A) are doable and B) won't hurt performance much.

First instead of splitting up the scanners much, why not have multiply of the same scanner but unlocked later. So for example the earliest biome scanner is heavy and large-ish but low power requirement and has some fuzziness to the biome borders and anomaly placement(marks it but might not be right where marked) the next one unlocked is medium weight small-medium in size but high power needs and little-no fuzziness. The last one being small lightweight medium power needs and small amount of fuzziness. This way you start out with low quality scanners but you aren't limited by type and you still have the tech focus to improve them while still including reasons to use one over the other in limited cases.

And being able to detect resources from other mods Ie. KSPi, Kethane, Extraplanetary launchpads.

Hey, I got a problem. Ever since I've updated this mod it just simply stopped working. The pieces I can attach onto the ship, but I notice a few things:

1. Animations don't play at all when I enable scanning.

2. Map does not show up at all.

Analyzing doesn't do anything either. I think the pluggin portion is screwed up somehow, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Also, I have kethane installed, and was hoping to use the two together, but I noticed that the grid overlay isn't showing up on that either. About the only thing that seems to work is tech-tree integration.

Hey, I got a problem. Ever since I've updated this mod it just simply stopped working. The pieces I can attach onto the ship, but I notice a few things:

Analyzing doesn't do anything either. I think the pluggin portion is screwed up somehow, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Also, I have kethane installed, and was hoping to use the two together, but I noticed that the grid overlay isn't showing up on that either. About the only thing that seems to work is tech-tree integration.

Remove both, get the latest version of Kethane first and then try reinstalling this. I heard it might have something to do with the order of installation (No idea how that would work, but the 2 mods work fine for me.)

MapTraq ONLY lets you view the map. The Radar Alt is providing you the low red grayscale. I'm assuming your third scanner is the Multispectral which only detects anomalies and Biomes. If you want High-Res altimetry, you need the SAR.

As Bananadealer [fixed] said, each has a different range. They aren't published anywhere, so you need to look at the part.cfg for each scanner to see the proper orbit.

Hey thnx, I was playing in career mode, switched to my sandbox save and saw the other 2 scanners.

So, if I use the MapTraq sensor on a rover I can actually navigate to each biome/anomaly on the map? (Already scanned the planet)

Hey thnx, I was playing in career mode, switched to my sandbox save and saw the other 2 scanners.

So, if I use the MapTraq sensor on a rover I can actually navigate to each biome/anomaly on the map? (Already scanned the planet)

Yes! You don't really need the MapTraq part on vessels that already have scanners on them, since the only function of the MapTraq is to show the map.

It's intended to be on rovers/landers for navigation...

I've had this problem and fixed it by updating all of my mods to the correct compatibility, so make sure ALL your mods are 0.23 compatible.

I've had this problem and fixed it by updating all of my mods to the correct compatibility, so make sure ALL your mods are 0.23 compatible.

I've updated them twice now, so I'm sure that's not the problem. I'll try again, but I don't think that'll make any difference...

EDIT: I reread your post, updating ALL the mods (derp), and now it works. Ty. Before, I was only updating just those two. Glad to know this mod still works as intended!

Edited by Rizz

I've updated them twice now, so I'm sure that's not the problem. I'll try again, but I don't think that'll make any difference...

There are some mods that seem to interfere with SCANSat functionality. In my case, I can't have Kethane installed. If I do, I get the exact symptoms you describe.

There are some mods that seem to interfere with SCANSat functionality. In my case, I can't have Kethane installed. If I do, I get the exact symptoms you describe.

This is, strictly speaking, a Kethane problem that can be triggered by any mod which includes a plugin that fails to load.

Kethane searches the other plugins for functions implementing it's API so that the API can actually happen. Unfortunately, the plugin that failed to load also gets found, but then cannot be accessed and Kethane chokes on it. The solution at the moment is looking diligently through the debug log for a plugin that generates an AssemblyLoader exception ("AssemblyLoader: Exception loading thatplugin") and making sure it is updated or failing that, removed.

This is, strictly speaking, a Kethane problem that can be triggered by any mod which includes a plugin that fails to load.

Kethane searches the other plugins for functions implementing it's API so that the API can actually happen. Unfortunately, the plugin that failed to load also gets found, but then cannot be accessed and Kethane chokes on it. The solution at the moment is looking diligently through the debug log for a plugin that generates an AssemblyLoader exception ("AssemblyLoader: Exception loading thatplugin") and making sure it is updated or failing that, removed.

Thanks for this. I installed Kethane again and it is now working. I have upgraded quite a few mods since I determined that there was a conflict between Kethane and ScanSat. It appears that you are right because I now have both working. I didn't find any "AssemblyLoader: Exception..." errors in my logs but I'm not sure how far they go back.

Noticed that I could analyze my low resolution scan data and get science, and radio it back. But on an earlier mission, I did the Analyse while in Mun orbit, shut down the scanner and returned the package to Kerbin (was unable to grab the data during EVA, ended up bringing my whole orbiter back rather than just the return capsule ... fun flight!) ... and did not get the science for it (yeah, poked around in the persistant.sfs file, it shows cap=60 but sci=0). Still tinkering with this part, I assume?

Has anyone released a smaller maptraq model? I'm looking for a slightly smaller/realistic model. I recall seeing a screenshot of a small model but I'm not sure if it was ever actually released.

Edited by rickyhewitt

The small model screenshot was probably the GPS antenna (not finished) part from the Garden Shed mod by Milkshakefiend - but all the released models are already included in SCANsat, so no banana. Thread here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

...and it wasn't small, it was actually 2.5m. But it kinda looks small in the screenshot :-)

There use to be this one, but got removed. I think because of copyright stuff:

Post #353

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping/page36

Has anyone released a smaller maptraq model? I'm looking for a slightly smaller/realistic model. I recall seeing a screenshot of a small model but I'm not sure if it was ever actually released.

I used the calculator-with-tape model from the Protractor mod. I used the part section from the Protractor and the module section from the Maptraq, ended up with the desired result. I can't post it here for copyright reasons, but it does work.

There use to be this one, but got removed. I think because of copyright stuff:

Post #353

Yup, that is the one I was thinking of.

I used the calculator-with-tape model from the Protractor mod. I used the part section from the Protractor and the module section from the Maptraq, ended up with the desired result. I can't post it here for copyright reasons, but it does work.

Sounds like a good solution for now, thanks!

For the moment, I've used module manager to add map tracking capability to the stock antennae. I considered adding it to the command modules directly, but that requires more work and I always put an antenna on my ships.

I really like how this mapping system works, and appreciate how it's integrated with science. I'd love to see some gameplay improvements:

1. Would be nice to bring up the map for any body from the tracking station, and see all craft (and debris, if the filter is enabled) tracked on the map.

2. Could map tracking be enabled for all vessels automatically? There are a few ways to look at this: a) KSC can track a vessel's location with its radio telescopes from kerbin, or B) need a satellite system to track location (RemoteTech integration?)

3. Although the red update line looks neat, I'd rather improve the performance by a) scanning the surface once and revealing parts of the map as they are scanned instead of continuously regenerating the map or B) updating only those parts of the map that are revealed by scanning.

I have no idea where to begin with the first two, but if I can figure out how to build from sources I'll try my hand at #3.

Edited by mdosogne

Hello I think I found a bug. On the last version all the vessels that had an SCANsat antenna showed up on mini map and big map, and I really liked this feature.

Now even if I have many sats and vessels, only the selected one is shown. Is this a known bug? Thanks!

Hello I think I found a bug. On the last version all the vessels that had an SCANsat antenna showed up on mini map and big map, and I really liked this feature.

Now even if I have many sats and vessels, only the selected one is shown. Is this a known bug? Thanks!

2 questions...

1) Are all the sats in the same Sphere of Influnce?

2). Are the ScanSat antennas active on all of them or just the one you're actively flying?

-if the ScanSat isn't active, and just placed on the pod, then it has no telemetry data to broadcast to the others sats in orbit.