KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

@veniteo: Check my signature :P

@Everyone: I'm focusing on DMP for now, It's showing more promise and less bugs than I initially thought it would, and it's nearly playable :).

Just need to make sure destruction events work, handle docking, handle science and I think it will be ready...

@veniteo: Check my signature :P

@Everyone: I'm focusing on DMP for now, It's showing more promise and less bugs than I initially thought it would, and it's nearly playable :).

Just need to make sure destruction events work, handle docking, handle science and I think it will be ready...

I hopped on DMP for a while, and it seemed stable-ish. It felt less fragile than KMP, and I thought that was good!

With KMP, faceplanting your kerbal on the runway can be bad, resulting in a hitch or freeze of your game. In DMP you could be more careless and smash a 389 part ship into the runway with gravity hacked and usually not freeze :P

How about flying 2 aircraft wingman style, accidently colliding mid-air (unfortunately one screen though - I can't update the parts while in atmosphere yet), watching it crash into the sea and having it spectate you back to landing?

No sound on purpose this time (sorry), I didn't expect what I did to work, and I was listening to music at the time that I wasn't keen on putting in the video :P

All of these things I've implemented can find their way back into KMP - But I seem to get things done much faster in DMP because of its simplicity (it's a complete rewrite, not a fork - With the design of having the server do as little as possible).

Basically - It's easier to add features / figure out KMP bugs in DMP because there is much less going on code wise. Whatever I learn in DMP applies to KMP as the clients work in a similar way (The server is completely different though).

I added quickloading into DMP (SUBSPACE mode only) because it let me figure out the vessel loading bug (the same one in KMP where your screen turns red due to re-entry flames) a bit easier.

Solar Trade Confederacy played yesterday - The rotation issue is probably the biggest thing for me atm, but I also have to think about docking and an orbital positioning bug (which I experienced in my orbit branch, so the fix should already be there).

Science is easy too, I'll add that today as well (EDIT: Done) :)

Edited by godarklight

I got a server running with a couple of mods:

- Deadly reentry

- FAR

- KAS

- Kerbal join reinforcement

- Robotics

- Mechjeb

- Procedural Dynamics

- Real fuels

- Stretchy tanks

- Tac fuel balancer/lifesupport

- KSO

- KW Rocketry

- Precisenode

The ip is 80.101.234.227. ( Netherlands ) KMP 1.5.1

If anyone can try to join it and see if you are able to join it so i can see if it works ?

It seems that real solar system does not really work that well in multiplayer otherwise i used that mod aswell.

If there are any problems PM me on this forum.

Edited by Daisai

@sanoj What I meant was that it was built for stability as a main target. AFAIK, KMP is mainly a proof of concept, to put it out there. It was really quite broken at the first release.

I stand corrected :P

So if I understand correctly, it's better to use KMP for the time being?

Hey guys.. haven't used this awesome piece in awile now. But multiplayer is so much more fun than play that all alone...

So is there a server chart with mods or something... or do i have to read through all the posts here?

And also if the server uses mods... do i have to download them separately? what if mod version doesn't match?

I got a server running with a couple of mods:

- Deadly reentry

- FAR

- KAS

- Kerbal join reinforcement

- Robotics

- Mechjeb

- Procedural Dynamics

- Real fuels

- Stretchy tanks

- Tac fuel balancer/lifesupport

- KSO

- KW Rocketry

- Precisenode

This sounds tasty!

Edited by StainX

I stand corrected :P

So if I understand correctly, it's better to use KMP for the time being?

Well, if you wanna play DMP, you could compile the source yourself. It is not officially available for download, but you can download the source from GitHub. However, it still has flaws. For example, it has no chat. This means I think you should go for KMP dev version.

This means I think you should go for KMP dev version.

I tried the dev version but it didn't come with a readme so I didn't know I had to copy the 3 dlls. So I'm using the client and server from spaceport.

Should I still get the dev version?

I tried the dev version but it didn't come with a readme so I didn't know I had to copy the 3 dlls. So I'm using the client and server from spaceport.

Should I still get the dev version?

install the stuff from spaceport as is, then go to godarklight's signature and get the KMPUpdater.exe. Rename it to KMPUpdater-development.exe and place it in BOTH your server file and the file with KSP.exe. Run them BOTH to update both the client and the server and it should update everything to dev version. Probably easiest way to do it if you already have spaceport stuff installed and running.

@KvickFlygarn87: I wouldn't really call KMP a proof of concept, I've had quite a lot of fun with it in 0.23 as the development version progressively got better, probably with the high point of where we were at right before 0.23.5 (KMPUpdater-old).

DMP is not really aiming to be stable, just simple, but I think stability is starting to come with it :P. Also It does have a temporary chat window until I get sick of it and implement a better one. Even the status window has a bit to go yet (JohannesMP sent me this mockup which I intend to fully implement).

@sanoj688: If you are using 0.23.5, then definitely use the dev version. If you're using KMP with a group of friends and just want to play without too many problems, try the dev version just before 0.23.5 came out (either use KMPUpdater-old, or replace both files on the server and KerbalMultiPlayer.dll on the client).

If anyone is interested in testing DMP, I've added my build server page and the DMP IRC channel to my sig (I highly recommend jumping on the IRC channel so I can get a feel for when it's ready,get a few opinions on the direction of it, and discover any bugs or something that's not implemented that we need). However, the server listed there though is my home connection, which is currently shaped down to 30kb/s until tomorrow.

EDIT: Missed DJKlitz's post because of moderation, welcome to the forums :). Instructions are 100% correct - I double checked to make sure the README's were getting shipped, they are there, although I did put the client one in GameData/KMP/.

Edited by godarklight

wow, this is.. wow O_O :0.0:

I have a question though, im sure someones already asked this but Im too lazy to read through the remaining 187 pages, ill ask anyway..

does having this KMP mod mean that whenever im using it I need to have the same exact kinds of mods as other players in the server? or am I not allowed to use any mods at all when im on the server/s? or can I run mods on the server that are not graphical or have mechanics and only deal with background elements like gui, navball or mechjeb/kerbal engineer for example?

im sorry if that made no sense, im having trouble understanding it myself ._.

I was immediately reminded of garry's mod when I saw this because in order to play anything there you need to download quite a lot of extras and if you don't then you cant join their servers, if KMP managed to find a workaround to this it would be awesome.

---- ---- ---- ----

also on the subdivided spaces for warp solution that you did, genius!

If the server has the default config, it will allow you to use any non-part adding mod by default. Parts are whitelisted on the server in KMPModControl, and part adding mods should also go in the required section on public servers to avoid annoying people with vessel load errors every 45 seconds :)

If you try to launch a ship with non-whitelisted parts it will warn you and prevent you from launching

is there a reason why none of the 0.23.5 parts are whitelisted yet on the dev version or am I doing something wrong. Every time I try to use the new engines etc it says unauthorized or illegal part or whatever. Do I need to manually add these?

does having this KMP mod mean that whenever im using it I need to have the same exact kinds of mods as other players in the server? or am I not allowed to use any mods at all when im on the server/s? or can I run mods on the server that are not graphical or have mechanics and only deal with background elements like gui, navball or mechjeb/kerbal engineer for example?

If I understand that question correctly, the answer is that all mods are required for all players IF THEY HAVE PARTS. You can have a parts mod noone else has, but you won't be able to launch ships with them. Also, both MJ and KER add parts that are needed.

EDIT: DJKlitz, I believe it should add them automatically, not sure though. Are you using a clean install on the server?

If you delete KMPModControl.txt or type /modgen it should make a new file with the 0.23.5 stock parts ;).

If you're also running mods, chuck them in the Mods/ folder it makes (Not squad/nasa) - and it will also add the modded parts to the list to save you from doing it manually.

Awesome thank you.

I'll test this out tomorrow. No mods, I just want the new 0.23.5 parts. I like to keep everything stock, but it kept bumming me out when I'd spend a few hours building somethign only to find out something I used was illegal in the middle of my ship. I really didnt feel like adding the parts manually.

I'll try that out though. Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.