KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

Although I am new to this mod, and to its community, I will tell my story unaware if it has been told before.

Consider it a bug report.

1st Launch, sending a small start to a space station.

2nd Launch, sending a large amount of power and solar array's.

-Connected both together-

Happy about my achievement and seeing no bugs for this mod with my friends before hand, I un-dock the probe that brought up the power to the station.

They stay close and my camera moves to the station like it should. I then use the close proximity controller to change to the probe and send it home.

-Station disappears-

Confused, my friend tells me that its falling. After freezing, I reload and connect to the server, the station is in pieces and have fallen 80km in just a few seconds.

-Crash-

I return to the probe that brought the power up and it is in little pieces as well but still in orbit as no explosion has knocked it out of orbit.

-End-

100% sure its a bug, and I just wanted to point it out just in-case it has not been found.

I'm sure there are guys out there saying, "Google it, don't tell us something we don't already know."

And to them I say, there is a lot of action on this mod already in this alpha state, 146 pages in the thread already, hard to find something without past knowledge or understanding of this multiplayer community.

Thanks for reading, from now on I play with my friends but we do not attempt to build a space station again.

I'm trying to connect to my whitelist server from two different computers using the same username. I tried connecting once without copying KMPPLayerToken.txt from the originally joined client to the second client, and as expected I cannot connect. But, after then copying the token file, I am still unable to connect.

On the second computer, after choosing to connect, I see this screen

After quitting to the main screen I see in the KMP window:

bAon5O

On the server I see (with debug logging enabled):

[18:53:49] [info] : New client...

[18:53:49] [info] : Client TCP connection established...

[18:53:49] [info] : Accepted client from 10.11.12.138:52086. Handshaking...

[18:53:49] [Debug] : Sending message: NULL

[18:53:49] [Debug] : Client added to disconnect list: Your username is already claimed by an existing user.

[18:53:49] [info] : Rejected client due to duplicate username w/o matching guid: himself

[18:53:49] [info] : himself (#1) has joined the server using client version 0.1.5.1

[18:53:49] [info] : Backing up old disk DB...

[18:53:49] [Debug] : [server] message sent to all.

[18:53:49] [Activity] : himself set to lead subspace 130

[18:53:49] [Debug] : Successfully backup up database.

[18:53:49] [Activity] : himself activity level is now IN_GAME

[18:53:49] [Debug] : Sending message: CONNECTION_END

[18:53:49] [Debug] : Caught InvalidOperationException for player himself in asyncReceive

[18:53:50] [info] : Player #1 himself has disconnected: Your username is already claimed by an existing user.

[18:53:50] [Debug] : [server] message sent to all.

[18:53:50] [Activity] : himself activity level is now IN_GAME

[18:53:50] [info] : Universe saved to disk.

After failing on the second client, I go back to the original client and it also does not work.

edit: After posting I went and download a sqllite browser and noticed two entries in the players table for the same name. I deleted the newest one (highest index) and everything worked fine after that.

Edited by chfhimself

@Verdecken: Sounds like this: https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/issues/436

That can only happen if you were around other players though, I know it's not really a solution - But if one player waits at the tracking station or uses another ship far away, docking will work like it does in single player. When it's fixed you should be able to build fly and dream together :).

@chfhimself: I haven't heard of this one before, I'll open it up on the issue tracker.

@JohannesMP: Bug 3 is *kind of* expected - Try it in single player :). I'll tackle what I can today.

Expected, but still a bug :P - that vestigial 'feature' has been removed in all other cases, and is just confusing since what the client sees is not actually what is on the server.

@chfhimself: I haven't heard of this one before, I'll open it up on the issue tracker.

To reproduce:

1) join server with new user

2) leave server

3) move token file out of KMP folder

4) rejoin server, receive error that username is already in use.

5) move token file back to correct location

6) reconnect, receive same error

7) check db, see to users with same name and different tokens.

@Verdecken: Sounds like this: https://github.com/TehGimp/KerbalMultiPlayer/issues/436

That can only happen if you were around other players though, I know it's not really a solution - But if one player waits at the tracking station or uses another ship far away, docking will work like it does in single player. When it's fixed you should be able to build fly and dream together :).

I think you are right, after further solo testing, I can build a station just fine. 3 Pieces in play and no problems yet, however I came across a bug that sounds like something already noted. After docking then undocking the piece to the station, the station disapeared and I thought it broke again, however it moved about 20m away. There were no other players in the server and this isn't a big deal just thought I would say it.

Also thanks for the website of bugs for future note. :D

Just one small thing that annoys me a lot.

Please, don't make me need to type /say when trying to say something on the chat.

Its extremelly annoying.

I only use / when making commands, if i want to talk i should be abble to just type away.

I belive its really simple to change, using /say is something that they use on most servers but its really bad.

Hello all,

I am trying to host my own server, The problem I keep encountering is when I connect I get in fine letting the connect window in KSP use localhost as address. But When I have my friend try to join with the IP I believe I'm suppose to be giving him it says disconnected. I have port 2076 forwarded, do I have to use the IP binding or should I be giving him a different IP address then mine?

Edited by Phoenix-Aerospace
Change wording

Hello all,

I am trying to host my own server, The problem I keep encountering is when I connect I get in fine letting the connect window in KSP use localhost as address. But When I have my friend try to join with the IP I believe I'm suppose to be giving him it says disconnected. I have port 2076 forwarded, do I have to use the IP binding or anything else to host the server so others can join. Would i just be easier to use Hamachi to setup the server or am I on the right path with just port forwarding and missed a step?

Hmm, assuming the IP he tries to connect to is what you get when you google "what is my IP", and assuming your port is indeed correctly forwarded it should work. the IP binding is only necessary if you have multiple IP's on your machine, so leave that at 0.0.0.0. Hamachi may work too, but really shouldn't be necessary.

Hello all,

I am trying to host my own server, The problem I keep encountering is when I connect I get in fine letting the connect window in KSP use localhost as address. But When I have my friend try to join with the IP I believe I'm suppose to be giving him it says disconnected. I have port 2076 forwarded, do I have to use the IP binding or should I be giving him a different IP address then mine?

As Johannes already pointed out, it *sounds* like you're set up correctly...so chance are you missed something simple. If you can reach your server via localhost, it's running correctly and the problem is either on your friends end (not likely) or in the way you've set up your connection.

So lets clarify a bit and make sure you're giving him the correct IP. If you're using an IP that starts with 192 or 127, that's not your external IP but your internal...meaning that's just the IP between your computer and your router. As an example, if I access my router I can see my gaming computer IP is 192.168.1.101, my router is 192.168.1.1, my netbook is 192.168.1.102, tablet, 192.168.1.103, etc. But if I search on Google for 'what is my ip' it gives me Your public IP address is ***.25.190.161. That's the router's IP on the internet which is what all the computers hooked up to your router use. That's the IP your friend needs to use.

If that doesn't work, check your port forwarding. Did you enter the correct port? It's easy to fat finger it and hit the wrong key on a keyboard. Is it forwarded to the correct computer? Won't work if you're forwarding him to your brothers laptop. Is there a check box to indicate that it's active? Did you make sure to click "accept" or "apply" if there are buttons for that? On my router I actually have to do ALL that...haha. Also make sure that port isn't also forwarded to another computer in your house/dorm/whatever for something unrelated. That shouldn't be possible...but the key word is shouldn't.

Without getting into trouble shooting with trace routes and pings, what you can also try is to disable port blocking if your router allows it...meaning just open them all up. My router has an option called DMZ (not sure what it stands for) that basically will forward ALL ports to the chosen computer. Not a good thing to do long term, but as a test you should be fine. If your friend can connect when you do this, then the issue is somewhere in your router & port forwarding config.

Just one small thing that annoys me a lot.

Please, don't make me need to type /say when trying to say something on the chat.

Its extremelly annoying.

I only use / when making commands, if i want to talk i should be abble to just type away.

I belive its really simple to change, using /say is something that they use on most servers but its really bad.

Are you talking about from the command window? Why are you talking to your players from there anyway? :)

Edited by Vladthemad

@Phoenix-Aerospace:

The easiest way *by far* to check if you are set up properly is to go here and tap in 2076. If it works, give them the IP that website tells you.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

If it doesn't work, then double check port forwarding settings - I don't think firewalls will be a problem. I recommend *not* using DMZ as well - It's a bit of a security flaw.

So...what exactly happens server side when you 'revert' to the space center while throttled up? I get the feeling you're not supposed to be able to, and as such I no longer do on a freshly restarted and remodded server. It seems to be less laggy so far. I've also removed a lot of mods with plugins, which also seems to have reduced the physics stutter like in Johannes vids.

@Vladthemad: Your client will see the ship at the launch pad, but the ship will really be where you left it when you reverted. To other clients (and the server), it will look like you just hopped out of the ship. Reconnecting to the server will confirm that it was never reverted.

Are you talking about from the command window? Why are you talking to your players from there anyway? :)

I host, and am not always ingame.

Talking through the console window fits well when I'm busy with other tasks.

Even more when I'm already running other heavy programs on my computer, which makes it not worth to open KSP just for chating.

@godarklight: For some reason i cannot be seen, yet no one ever had any issue logging into my servers.

I'm not behind router firewalls.

That's really weird.

I host, and am not always ingame.

Talking through the console window fits well when I'm busy with other tasks.

Even more when I'm already running other heavy programs on my computer, which makes it not worth to open KSP just for chating.

Perhaps use IRC instead? There's a mod that adds it to KSP for the players on client side I think.

So I've set up a server and its working ok for the most part. When I connect by localhost it works perfectly. When I connect by IP I get disconnected after about 30 seconds once sync is done and my friends cant connect at all.

Any ideas?

Getting kicked after syncing seems to be typical if you log in, log back out to the menu screen and try to log back in again. Are you able to connect via ip if you shot down completely? Hmm...I'm not really sure how it works when you connect via external ip back to your same computer. That's kind of like walking to your mailbox, putting in a letter addressed to yourself! That aside, see above for the comments about port forwarding. That's most likely your culprit.

@tetryds/Vladthemad:

Looks like my chat client fits your needs quite well: https://github.com/godarklight/KMPChatClient, With a build hosted here: http://chrisand.no-ip.info:82/kmp/testing/KMPChatClient.exe.

Yes it looks dodgy because it's a single 11kb exe - but it's as big as it needs to be to work, and it fits the theme with the rest of my dodgy* build server (I'll make it look pretty one day).

I do remember in the past that you could just type in what you wanted to say and it would be parsed as text - I'll double check with the other devs why this changed.

About the cannot be seen thing, That's pretty weird. Players drop out of the list after 6 seconds if you haven't received a update from them (this happens during the initial sync *all the time*), but being connected and never showing is slightly different. My chat client used to do this before I fixed it - It needed to send update messages.

@Carheadbutt: I replied to your reddit thread. It was unclear wether you were connecting to other servers - or if other players were dropping out after others connected to your server.

Edited by godarklight

@godarklight: I meant that the port checker site cannot see me, yet all KMP clients can.

Never had any issues with anything when hosting, from minecraft to cubeworld, to other random games, inc KMP.

Just wonder why the site doesnt see my ports open.

That chat client did not work.

It crashed after i entered the port.

Added the generated player token to the token list etc, but nope.

edit: KAS also works well for latest modular mod support build?

Edited by tetryds

@tetryds, I forgot my program depends on ICSharpZipLib (I thought I was using the built in library - but windows 8 doesn't like it).

http://chrisand.no-ip.info:82/kmp/testing/KMPChatClient.zip

http://canyouseeme.org should work though - That is quite weird.

I haven't tested KAS personally, but if you are referring to the dev builds everything should work - Not much has changed with regards to actually handling any mods - Only the KMPModControl format and how mods are detected has changed.

EDIT: And /modgen on the server to make things easy.

In 0.1.6 KMP will no longer override the FRAME_DT_LIMIT (I'm unsure why this was happening in the first place). That will remove lag from using big ships.

I did have a bit of a feeling that griefing would eventually take place on public servers, but I'm unsure what the best policy for that is yet. Banning griefers isn't exactly going to work - at least not for very long.

The better idea seems to be this: There is demand for a public war server, A server admin has a chance to fill this current gap in the public servers :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.