KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

Hey. I Recently Downloaded KMP and I've looked but can't Get a specific Yes or No Answer so I was hoping to find one here perhaps, if you create a server and add the allowed parts from a mod and other people have those mods may they join and create a craft which may use those parts without kmp prohibiting them from doing so

Hey. I Recently Downloaded KMP and I've looked but can't Get a specific Yes or No Answer so I was hoping to find one here perhaps, if you create a server and add the allowed parts from a mod and other people have those mods may they join and create a craft which may use those parts without kmp prohibiting them from doing so

Yep, if the server sets up the mod control, they should be able to use modded craft!

theres a great program called MultiPlayer Part Manager. run it and choose your KSP Installation dir. then it will generate a list with all the parts you have installed via mods. Press save and choose KMPModControl.txt. then it will save a text file called TEMP.txt at the same location as your KMPModControl.txt. At this point, just backup your KMPModControl and rename the TEMP.txt

i know how to port forward im sorry if i confused you with my post

my ports are forwarded my problem is anyone trying to connect to my server via my ip (including me) gets the message "connecting via ipv4 x.x.x.x." and a second later "disconnected"

i can connect via default "localhost" just fine

i dont know if anyone else is having this problem or if anyone knows of any alternative solutions (port forwarding is not the problem)

thanks for your help

its either a firewall or a port problem. dont think it can be anything else tbh :P

@Space_Meerkat: As long as the server has added the parts to KMPModControl (and hopefully added the part-adding mods to the required section), then KMP will allow you to launch modded parts.

@odji_mshai: It has to be what Audon mentioned.

You usually cannot connect to your own internet IP as this usually references some type of modem/router in your network.

By default, you can connect to any IP address local to your computer, like 127.0.0.1, or 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x.

Those IP addresses show up in ipconfig /all, or the graphical network connection thingy

Connecting to localhost is fine, others will still be able to connect to your internet IP if you have forwarded it.

Use canyouseeme to check that the port forwarding is working correctly. If it says Success, clients should be able to connect. If it says Error, well then you have a portforward or firewall problem. The default port for the server is 2076 TCP+UDP.

@Space_Meerkat: As long as the server has added the parts to KMPModControl (and hopefully added the part-adding mods to the required section), then KMP will allow you to launch modded parts.

@odji_mshai: It has to be what Audon mentioned.

You usually cannot connect to your own internet IP as this usually references some type of modem/router in your network.

By default, you can connect to any IP address local to your computer, like 127.0.0.1, or 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x.

Those IP addresses show up in ipconfig /all, or the graphical network connection thingy

Connecting to localhost is fine, others will still be able to connect to your internet IP if you have forwarded it.

Use canyouseeme to check that the port forwarding is working correctly. If it says Success, clients should be able to connect. If it says Error, well then you have a portforward or firewall problem. The default port for the server is 2076 TCP+UDP.

im having a new problem now

i managed to get my friend connected to my server but now neither localhost or my external ip let me connect

if i use 127.0.0.1 it says connecting and then instantly says disconnected

if i use my external ip it says connecting and takes about 15 seconds then it says disconnected

any solutioins for this?

edit- i managed to connect to my server using my computer hostname

i dont know why it prefers my hostname over localhost or 127.0.0.1

Edited by odji_mshai

are you sure 127.0.0.1 is your local ip? and when it just sits there for 15 seconds when connecting with your external ip, then its because there is a server, but the connection gets timed out (someone correct me if im wrong), aka port/firewall problem. When you connect with 127.0.0.1 and it says disconnected straight away, then im guessing that 127.0.0.1 is not your local ip (looks like your routers gateway ip). But i could be wrong :)

No idea why localhost doesnt work though. that seems odd

and did you check out the link godarklight posted? this

Edited by Audon

@Coda: In linux you can actually bring down your 'lo' interface with 'ifconfig lo down'. If you do that though, expect Bad Things to happen. In either of those cases, the person that did that will know they broke it, so the probability of this or no localhost in the hosts file is negligible :).

@syfyguy64: Spazer has a battle server: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58328-Spazer-net-Kerbal-Multi-Player-Server-Information

Have fun, but I think collisions are a little glitchy :)

@KvickFlygarn87: I think there was a time where the server didn't say "Type /start to start". It took me a minute or two to figure it out.

@Everyone: I'm going to get into streaming again, but I can't really handle all those old bugs (plus I want to test my 7 open pull requests on github). People can jump on the server, and the stream too if they have mumble :).

I'm going to use my custom branch though which is incompatible with the current dev version.

@Anyone using the dark-mar-15 version, I've found a bug (that I caused) that causes the server to disconnect clients when it shouldn't. dark-mar-16 fixes that, but it should considered even more experimental than the current dev version.

@Coda: In linux you can actually bring down your 'lo' interface with 'ifconfig lo down'. If you do that though, expect Bad Things to happen. In either of those cases, the person that did that will know they broke it, so the probability of this or no localhost in the hosts file is negligible :).

Yeah, Im an RHCE, but I made an assumption that the OP was a windows user. I've seen malware which messes with the hosts file on win, so I don't assume that they edited it directly (or knowingly).

Nah dude, Gimp's a Linux user! He's a real MAN.

No, I meant the OP of the question, not the thread.

BTW - 'Real Men' use the OS that suits the particular task, without ignorance, prejudice or excessive consumption of kool-aid :wink:

Slightly on topic: My build server is now on a shaped connection so the downloads are going to be slower than normal. I've taken down my KMP servers (Not that they were getting used anyway ;)) and I've moved my home network to use my mobile (which has unlimited internet) to avoid any congestion using the build server.

Completely Offtopic: Coda, Completely agree. Want to play games*? Use windows. Want to host some type of server or do some specific autonomous task? Use linux. Want to surf the web without threats of viruses? Use mac (or linux).

I would normally hand the creativity thing to mac but everyone that *seriously* works with photoshop I know of uses windows.

*games: KSP is in the minority for supporting linux, so it's not that surprising it's was the top linux steam game.

@KvickFlygarn87: Be careful while learning linux. Understand what each command does before you use it, because you *will* break your computer one day. Rebooting will not help you, you must manually un-break it yourself. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Technically coda is a linux pro (professional meaning getting paid for work), being a "Red Hat Certified Engineer".

Here's a nice joke for coda, the most dangerous command I have ever run, and this is seriously what I did to leave archlinux to go back to debian because I lacked a cd drive and didn't have netbooting set up yet. rsync -avx --delete /media/raid/debianroot/ /; update-grub

It's not starting up, I updated it and now I don't see a little server connection window. I have no other mods installed. It is installed with the proper folders in their respective Gamedata and saves folders. I am running the steam version using KSPModAdmin. What's going on?

KMP has been integrated into the main menu if you are running the dev (*inserts preemptive apology about the music*, I promise I won't do that in the future):

However it's more likely that it hasn't been installed correctly. Make sure these things exist:

KSP_folder/GameData/KMP/Plugins/KerbalMultiPlayer.dll (and the ICSharp thing)

KSP_folder/GameData/KMP/saves/start.sfs and persistent.sfs

If they do, I'd like to see KSP_folder/KSP_Data/output_log.txt if possible :)

Completely Offtopic: Coda, Completely agree. Want to play games*? Use windows. Want to host some type of server or do some specific autonomous task? Use linux. Want to surf the web without threats of viruses? Use mac (or linux).
I have several Macs at home, about half of them are hackintoshes. My main KSP machine (see how I'm keeping on-topic? :D) is an i7 with 590GTX and 16GB ram. Most of the time I'm running it in Mac mode (because I have several desktops running with email, study materials, VNC clients etc at the same time with KSP). I find that under W7 on the same machine, KSP is a lot quicker, probably because of the better nVidia drivers. Otherwise, most games I play I stay on the mac, they are either native games, or some version of wine ports. If they are not the latest games, they usually run full speed and it's convenient for me to be able to alt-tab to do some work.
I would normally hand the creativity thing to mac but everyone that *seriously* works with photoshop I know of uses windows. *games: KSP is in the minority for supporting linux, so it's not that surprising it's was the top linux steam game.
Yeah I think that's driven by the industry, as you can buy PCs that will run photoshop a lot cheaper than the cheapest mac. The thing is, creativity also stretches to music and other types of art and design which the PC can lack in some cases the tools (not quantity necessarily, but quality). I am a musician and I use another hackintosh in another room for writing and recording music. Apart from one of my main programs which is mac specific, all of the rest are also PC available (like ableton live, reaper etc). I did go through a phase last year of trying several linux distro's geared towards music production (Av linux, ubuntu studio, CCRMA) but they all lacked in some way (Jack really pissed me off :mad:) and caused a blockage to my creativity. Apart from that, of all the 3 main platforms I stick to the Mac most of the time because a) it's unix and therefore secure and powerful (I can BASH, perl, python etc script) B) the interface (and keyboard shortcuts) is consistent across all software, i.e. it behaves in the same way, whatever you are doing, which I find is important for workflow.
Here's a nice joke for coda, the most dangerous command I have ever run, and this is seriously what I did to leave archlinux to go back to debian because I lacked a cd drive and didn't have netbooting set up yet. rsync -avx --delete /media/raid/debianroot/ /; update-grub
That's one of the most audacious things I've seen man :D Edited by Coda
changed 1 word :)

Slightly on topic: My build server is now on a shaped connection so the downloads are going to be slower than normal. I've taken down my KMP servers (Not that they were getting used anyway ;)) and I've moved my home network to use my mobile (which has unlimited internet) to avoid any congestion using the build server.
I noticed that I cannot reach http://godarklight.kerbalcentral.com:82/kmp/index.php today. Will it come back?

@Coda:

It's been fixed, I was testing chrisand.no-ip.info and didn't realise my other dynamic ip service which I don't generally use (which contains IPv6 records) didn't update. godarklight.kerbalcentral.com is a CNAME to the one that was broken.

Still slow though :-/

@ThesaurusRex:

You would be correct, I had a copy-paste fail.

The KMP saves folder lives in KSP_folder/saves/KMP sorry.

However, you have the weirdest problem I've ever seen (line 124, then spammed all over the log):

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EditorLogic.Lock'.

That suggests KSP itself isn't installed (huh?). But Assembly-CSharp.dll exists (It's listed up the top), which contains the EditorLogic.Lock function...

I have a feeling your computer is literally haunted. By the looks of it your running Windows XP, (it says directx 9.0c) which should be fine.

The only 2 things I can think of is trying the dev version to see if it crashes there too (which it most likely will), or reinstalling KSP (which shouldn't work either). Ghosts?.

@Everyone using dark-mar-16 (my custom dev version), I've found a bug with my vessel-spawning branch which sometimes causes players loading in near you to jump to your location and cause you to explode (good times).

I'll keep a custom branch up to date with my changes while gimp is away :), Most of my changes should be relatively tame but there's always a chance something like the above can happen.

Edited by godarklight

Hey everyone, first off I just want to say that I really like this mod and it was pretty easy to setup a small server so thanks for that!

But I'm having a problem, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it or not but here we go.

I seem to be experiencing a docking issue. It's pretty similar to Different-undocking-bug-0-23 and in fact I've already posted at the end of that thread. What I didn't realize is that I can create the exact same space station (that is experiencing the problem) using the exact same parts and order of construction in the non-KMP saves without the problem. Which is why I'm posting here. I only seem to be getting the docking issue when I'm playing on my KMP server.

It seems to be listed here, but from what I can see nothing useful has been suggested as of yet.

For further insight, this is how I assemble the station. It involves changing between vessels in order to fly the tug after bringing the piece of station close.

fqYf5dZ.jpg

Also here is the post I made in the other thread:

Hey guys, I've been experiencing this bug a lot while building my space stations. Specifically I'm referring to after docking a vessel all of the ports become stuck and I can't unlock anything. It's worth noting that I tried the old fix of editing the persistent save file, but it didn't help. I experimented with several different parts and constructions but after a while I always ran into this bug.

My construction method uses an unmanned "RCS tug," that brings the pieces of the station together. Often times the pieces were unmanned as well. I also do a bit of swapping between vessels before docking the tug with the piece of station.

I seem to have fixed the problem by always having a manned control part on each piece of the station and also the tug (specifically I have used both mk. 2 and mk. 1 lander can.) Since then I haven't run into the problem.

This leaves you with a lot of kerbals in the station spread out in parts that take up considerably more space than the remote guidance units, however it is better than the alternative of having a useless space station.

I'm using the following mods:

Mechjeb, aviation lights, quantum struts, crew manifest, engineer redux, Kerbal multi player, Nova punch,KW rocketry, chatter, tacfuel balancer.

EDIT: This didn't work. It worked until I finished building my station, but then when I went to "fly" it again through the space center after it was completed I couldn't undock anything and still had the same problem. So for some reason I didn't have the problem as early when using manned components, even though I did construction in the same order as before with the unmanned components.

If you look at the image below, I constructed the station in this order:

Center x2

RCS Tug

Solar Cell x2

RCS Tank x2

Cole's Notes: When I did it the original way with the unmanned components I ran into the issue immediately after docking the second solar cell. When I used manned components I managed to finish the station, but then nothing will undock.

http://i.imgur.com/QRxnnfh.jpg

Thanks in advance

Edited by fridgeofcanada

@fridgeofcanada: That currently gets written off a KSP bug but I think there may be some way to prevent it from happening. If anyone knows how to reproduce it exactly, 100% of the time or explain the fix the persistent.sfs file it might be worth jumping on IRC. You can't edit the persistent.sfs file with KMP, but we might be able to detect and fix it before sending it to the server.

I remember something about how decouplers could come into play, but I don't think that was a 100% reliable fix. I've also seen that the broken docking port can actually switch vessels depending on how you docked, and it's only when both are unable to undock that the real problem occurs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.