KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

@KvickFlygarn87: I'm mainly in bug-crushing mode, features this close to a release are generally a bad idea :P. For 0.1.7 I'm going to look at some type of permissions/groups system for vessels - It's got to be really simple, easy to use, and powerful enough to do what you want - So "war servers" would be better supported (although I'm much more into creatively working together).

If it's of any relevance, During testing we built a mun station together, and we didn't hit the docking bug once. We did however have a shielded docking port that was closed while docked - which was interesting.

@JohannesMP: Because my branch is not in master, many of the bugs that I have fixed are still marked as open (and will be until it's merged). From memory the hit list was 10-15 bugs.

Also I should probably update that git-version file in my orbit branch, b6f... is the latest upstream/master, I've just didn't include the git-version.txt file in my builds :-/

I'm fairly sure I've fixed bug you see within the first few seconds... But only testing will tell :)

Hey guys, I'm back with a question (yes I got all my problems fixed btw): If I had someone host a server for me then, is it possible for me to import a premade .persistance file? One that I have made in SP ksp? Is there a way for me to just throw it in there and have the server run normally? (no mods Ofc)

Hey guys, I'm back with a question (yes I got all my problems fixed btw): If I had someone host a server for me then, is it possible for me to import a premade .persistance file? One that I have made in SP ksp? Is there a way for me to just throw it in there and have the server run normally? (no mods Ofc)

Nope, sorry :-(

Nope, sorry :-(

Hm. Damn... Can you make it so in a future version?

Anyway, new problem (dammit): When I join a game in kmp and it starts to sync the universe, the game just lags and forces my computer to 100% CPU. I have no idea why, I have tried different servers all empty and modless... Sooooo... Why the **** is kmp hogging my CPU?

Anyway, new problem (dammit): When I join a game in kmp and it starts to sync the universe, the game just lags and forces my computer to 100% CPU. I have no idea why, I have tried different servers all empty and modless... Sooooo... Why the **** is kmp hogging my CPU?

Are you running the server or just playing on one? If so, can you check taskmanager to see if it's the server or if it's KSP?

Sounds a bit like #555 to me.

Are you running the server or just playing on one? If so, can you check taskmanager to see if it's the server or if it's KSP?

I'm playing a server, NOT hosting. I have to go to task manager as the game goes to no response and will be I that state indefinitely, or at least before I force close it. Everything works right, until I start syncing, then it just locks up at 100% CPU.

What's #555?

I'm playing a server, NOT hosting. I have to go to task manager as the game goes to no response and will be I that state indefinitely, or at least before I force close it. Everything works right, until I start syncing, then it just locks up at 100% CPU.

What's #555?

Very well. How long do you wait for the game to sync? Are you running dev or release version? Can you try syncing on a self-hosted server with no ships? And to answer your question, #555 is a github issue.

Any chance that you could smooth out movement and add Kerbal animations in correctly? Watching someone control a Kerbal is like watching Slender with all the teleporting and the dead, blank stare of its eyes.

That'll probably not make it into 0.1.6, but I'll open a Github issue for it!

@ZooNamedGames: Importing a persistence.sfs file has been mentioned before but nobody has created one yet. If one does get created, I suggest that it creates a local KMP_universe.db file (or connects to a mysql server) to avoid server greifing.

The client shouldn't tax your game that much, and #555 and #666 were server related speed issues.

The development version (or my orbit branch) is worth checking out to see if things have improved, otherwise we need to look more closely at what's happening - IRC is a good way for us to figure things out :)

@TimMartland: For the orbital stuff in the release/development version, the original post has a section that says "Why does it look like I'm stuck in an Alfred Hitchcock movie sometimes when I initially approach another player in orbit?". For EVA stuff, kerbals don't "walk", they just get their positions set (as the walking AI apparently leaves a bit to be desired). As KMP has a tick rate of 3 per second, and this isn't likely to change soon as it would need some things culled from the server, Things appear to jump around.

My orbit branch uses motion prediction to kind of figure things out, but there's only so much you can do with a tick rate of 3 ;).

Also, kerbals walking has been suggested as #334

@ZooNamedGames: Importing a persistence.sfs file has been mentioned before but nobody has created one yet. If one does get created, I suggest that it creates a local KMP_universe.db file (or connects to a mysql server) to avoid server greifing.

The client shouldn't tax your game that much, and #555 and #666 were server related speed issues.

The development version (or my orbit branch) is worth checking out to see if things have improved, otherwise we need to look more closely at what's happening - IRC is a good way for us to figure things out :)

@TimMartland: For the orbital stuff in the release/development version, the original post has a section that says "Why does it look like I'm stuck in an Alfred Hitchcock movie sometimes when I initially approach another player in orbit?". For EVA stuff, kerbals don't "walk", they just get their positions set (as the walking AI apparently leaves a bit to be desired). As KMP has a tick rate of 3 per second, and this isn't likely to change soon as it would need some things culled from the server, Things appear to jump around.

My orbit branch uses motion prediction to kind of figure things out, but there's only so much you can do with a tick rate of 3 ;).

Also, kerbals walking has been suggested as #334

Got it. I'll get that and respond back.

I have an idea to pitch here, -and it may sound crazy- but perhaps we could have server types?

For example:

Atmospheric servers, no timewarp (it's the atmosphere, after all.), and the limit of where you can see other players to is removed, so when somebody spawns a craft, you see it. You can still go to space, but there's no timewarp, to prevent atmospheric screw-ups, so it's better to use normal servers. This could be for dog-fighting or just messing around without having to meet at KSC. Perhaps instead of showing the "clear track" message when something is on the runway, it would wait until there's nothing on it and then put you down.

and, of course, normal servers, just like it currently is.

@xxjetterxx: The problem with not being able to see others correctly in atmosphere fight isn't really a KMP limitation - It comes from planes getting "de-orbited" when they are both flying and put on rails (2.5km away) under some arbitrary limit (I think 22km).

A very old version of KMP used to load atmospheric vessels only for KSP to kill them, and doing this at 30 times a second made the game pretty much lock up.

That's why these days, KMP both refuses to load vessels when they are in atmosphere and flying where they would get instantly destroyed, and after you see a ship crashing, it will refuse to reload it for another 10 seconds to avoid lagging KSP as well.

EDIT: A power outage has currently claimed the server list and the build server (which is KMPUpdater's backend). It'll be back soon.

EDIT 2: It's up

Edited by godarklight

Errr... All I can pretty much say is "wat?".

If that's something that KMP is definitely causing (which it really shouldn't be as we don't place anything on the map screen or override any textures), then I'll probably get you to jump on IRC & upload the KSP_Data/output_log.txt file while running -kmpdebug.

First step, make sure KMP is doing that - that's kinda freaky.

EDIT: I've fixed the server list "add server" link. XHTML stabbed me in the back when I started serving it properly and I somehow missed that page. I've got to start using an IDE and not my favourite editor, vim.

Edited by godarklight

Clearing the universe is simple as deleting KMP_universe.db (or if you are using mysql, dropping and recreating the database).

If it's just a debris problem though, make sure you have "/set autoDekessler true" - This deletes debris older than half an hour.

Admin commands are generally typed on the server console window, however most of the server commands aren't generally useful for normal play :P

@TJPrime: Because of certain bugs in 0.1.5.1, the server can lag (unrelated to network lag) within the 1-3 minute range which will definitely stop you from connecting (and playing really). Apart from trying to host your own server so you can play with friends, the only other thing you can really do is try to catch us on IRC so we can play on a development (or preferably my orbit branch) server so we can catch bugs, or wait for 0.1.6.

Orbit is pretty much well ready, but gimp is most likely busy with real life work so it hasn't been merged ;)

EDIT: My server list is fixed for reals this time

Edited by godarklight

Hi, i am trying to set up a server for my friends and i to play together.I am able to connect just fine with internal ip and localhost but i am unable to connect via the external ip nor can my friends.

I am pretty sure i have it set up. maybe there is something i missed in the config? i have the port on 25565 which is open as i use to host a minecraft server just fine. and firewall is not blocking. any help would be great, Thanks

Hi, i am trying to set up a server for my friends and i to play together.I am able to connect just fine with internal ip and localhost but i am unable to connect via the external ip nor can my friends.

I am pretty sure i have it set up. maybe there is something i missed in the config? i have the port on 25565 which is open as i use to host a minecraft server just fine. and firewall is not blocking. any help would be great, Thanks

Hm. Have you defined the correct port in the server connect window? Is your port forward correct?

ye i have opened up the server config file after the server generated one and changed the port to be on 25565, and as for the port forward unless my dad has blocked it it should still be open as i stopped my minecraft server and brought a vps to host it instead and my friends never had a problem connecting to my through that port. i will have to ask my dad to see if he has changed it.

@ban: As long as you're not trying to run the minecraft server at the same time, then it should all work.

I was going to suggest using canyouseeme.org, but KvickFlygarn87 beat me to the punch ;).

To connect to the server running on your local computer, you will want to connect to localhost, 127.0.0.1, or your internal network ip (most likely 192.168.0.x). Just use localhost - it's all good.

Your friends will have to connect to your external IP, which is another thing canyouseeme tells you. If you type in 25565 as the port to check, and it says successful, then your friends can connect.

There's also public servers listed in my signature as a sanity check to make sure KMP works - Only online servers will be on the list.

EDIT: My 4 servers are now back online - Internet quotas / shaping are a horrible thing and I had to take them down for the last week :(.

Edited by godarklight

EDIT: My 4 servers are now back online - Internet quotas / shaping are a horrible thing and I had to take them down for the last week :(.

and im taking forever to switch to my server.

i ran into a problem... my modem is hosed, as in its not reliable since it seems to "forget" its port forwards from time to time (which is why the SSI KMP server seems to have a 90% uptime). argh. so now im looking for a new modem, or a cheap server solution. sorry about the wait-like-molasses godarklight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.