[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

What's the main improvements between version 6.7 and version 5.3, which I'm been using happily with the 8k Blue Marble pack? Does your default 8k cloud l

Looks like your sentence got cuttoff.

The main difference is the move to procedural UV mapping so that the poles don't have the swirl or pinch that they used to. There are also a few GUI fixes as well.

So, when I install this, the clouds are pure white and cover the whole planet, and there is no city lights to be found. I know I'm installing it wrong, but what am I doing wrong/what is the right way to install this?

So, when I install this, the clouds are pure white and cover the whole planet, and there is no city lights to be found. I know I'm installing it wrong, but what am I doing wrong/what is the right way to install this?

probably wrong folder. Should be KSP_win/GameData/BoulderCo

probably wrong folder. Should be KSP_win/GameData/BoulderCo

Yep, fixed it now, tried that directory the first two time and it didn't show up at all, but now it has. Weird, but cheers.

Ok, I am working on an update that completely changes how the Clouds are rendered (PQS instead of multiple cameras) that should help for volumetric clouds and framerate, and I need some feedback for what people want next.

Volumetric Clouds (to fly through)

Procedural Cloud Cover

Planetary Aurora or Other Meteorological effects (lightning, rain, meteor streaks [visual effect only])

Planetary Rings/Asteroid belts (collidable)

Misc Particle effects (collision dust, landing tire smoke, etc)

Ok, I am working on an update that completely changes how the Clouds are rendered (PQS instead of multiple cameras) that should help for volumetric clouds and framerate, and I need some feedback for what people want next.

Procedural Cloud Cover

Planetary Aurora or Other Meteorological effects (lightning, rain, meteor streaks [visual effect only])

For what it's worth, I think the order you have them listed in would be my preferences. Planetary rings and asteroid belts would be cool, but not at the expense of improvements you can make (easily? relatively easily?) for the stuff we will see with every launch.

rbray -- will the move to volumetric clouds reduce memory requirements?

I'm not sure how it will effect memory usage at this point. I've been researching the best way to do this, and it looks like if anything, it will increase memory usage.

Procedural Cloud Cover

I'd say in that order exactly rbray. Although I personally wouldn't bother with meteors. ( unless is this commonly scene by the ISS or something? ). I'd have to be such a rare event that'd I imagine it wouldn't be worth the time making. Unless its easy.. all we'd need is a lounge chair mod afterwards so Kerbals can chill on the launchpad and watch meteor showers. ( that might be cool )

But I'd much rather see lightning before meteors. And I want to say I love the work your doing. You made this game truly beautiful. Have you tried both your 8k clouds and UR's 8k planets? I will post some pics later. My jaw hit the floor. Gives space engine a run for its money I kid you not.

Edited by Motokid600

Darn. Those are the most difficult... :rolleyes:

Ugh, no kidding. I've been reading research papers to that effect, and volumetric clouds are freakishly difficult. Especially if you don't want to murder framerates. The visual effect would be awesome, but good luck if you decide to go this route.

Ugh, no kidding. I've been reading research papers to that effect, and volumetric clouds are freakishly difficult. Especially if you don't want to murder framerates. The visual effect would be awesome, but good luck if you decide to go this route.

Yeah, I've been doing lots of research into this. It is stupidly difficult. I think I am going to try to work out 3D texturing to get the desired effect. Then again, I have yet to figure out how to accomplish it in the shader.

Procedural Cloud Cover

I'd actually like to see these in the reverse order given here. The current cloud are still really nice, and getting landing effects and other cool things would really add massively to the game experience.