[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

... having minor brain seizure trying to comprehend the beauty of this image.

EDIT: Rbray: does the latest test build have the high poly 2d meshes by any chance?

It does indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

so i downloaded it like they said to but it still is not working idk how to enable it or if i have a hot key can someone help please

You just have to copy the contents of the GameData folder into the GameData folder of your KSP install. That is it.

Looking really nice. However, getting odd boxes in oceans and no city lights in map view (on clean install with just EVE + overhaul 2).

Edit: I assume it's down to me doing something wrong though - these things usually are... :rolleyes:

http://imgur.com/a/lHlgD

This is probably because they use a surface shader, and I'm overwriting the tangent info for a better shader. This will be fixed when I update the shader.

Map view has not yet been updated for scaled space texturing and overlay.

Having an odd issue with 7-3. I haven't done much messing around with the GUI until now. I'm using the KSPRC configs, but wanted to add the icy mist effect on Minmus from Better Atmospheres, so decided to try to just add it manually while in game.

When I click add layer, it adds a white layer at 1,000m, but any changes I make to the new layer don't have any effect even after clicking apply or save. If I click the first layer that was already present and go back to the new layer, all the settings are reverted to default. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Having an odd issue with 7-3. I haven't done much messing around with the GUI until now. I'm using the KSPRC configs, but wanted to add the icy mist effect on Minmus from Better Atmospheres, so decided to try to just add it manually while in game.

When I click add layer, it adds a white layer at 1,000m, but any changes I make to the new layer don't have any effect even after clicking apply or save. If I click the first layer that was already present and go back to the new layer, all the settings are reverted to default. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

it could be that the fields are formatted improperly... make sure when filling them in, nothing turns red.

That, or something like a texture field might be empty.

So just out of curiosity, what new capabilities does this open up for you guys that the end user will see in the next release of EVE?

faster/easier updates, better terrain features, better RSS compatability, faster release times as the GUI is a lot easier to manage. Changing and tweaking the terrain is a feature I'm also working on. Need to get this working well before I continue on volumetric atmospheres.

it could be that the fields are formatted improperly... make sure when filling them in, nothing turns red.

That, or something like a texture field might be empty.

Turned out to be an invalid texture. Perhaps a future version could default to the plain or empty texture?

faster/easier updates, better terrain features, better RSS compatability, faster release times as the GUI is a lot easier to manage. Changing and tweaking the terrain is a feature I'm also working on. Need to get this working well before I continue on volumetric atmospheres.

Awesome! Congrats on the latest developments on EVE, it sounds like you've made a really big leap in progress here and can't wait to see how it pays off down the road! But I bet everyone working with EVE for their packs (Astronomer/TheSonicGalaxy/Proot etc) must be very excited by it. I see some have already started toying around and getting some really nice results with hardly a day to twiddle with it, so am very excited to see how everyone is doing with it come time for the next release!

Here's what I've been working on with the latest test build :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I can't get the layer to move in the current version so no video unfortunately. Rbray, I have some questions about possibly making it so a layer is locked in place relative to the direction of the sun. Basically, I need this texture to stay put at the shadow line of the planet as the planet rotates around the sun. I've been able to do this by setting the speed to exactly match the rotation of Kerbin around the sun and starting with the right offset so it's placed shadow line. However I worry that whatever beginning offset I chose may change depending on where Kerbin is in its orbit in any given time frame of someone's game when the settings are added.

Also do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this hard edge line on the horizon when you're above a layer or is that something that will be part of volumetric atmospheres?

MPn3qR9.png

Here's what I've been working on with the latest test build :)

http://imgur.com/a/o7bkT

I can't get the layer to move in the current version so no video unfortunately. Rbray, I have some questions about possibly making it so a layer is locked in place relative to the direction of the sun. Basically, I need this texture to stay put at the shadow line of the planet as the planet rotates around the sun. I've been able to do this by setting the speed to exactly match the rotation of Kerbin around the sun and starting with the right offset so it's placed shadow line. However I worry that whatever beginning offset I chose may change depending on where Kerbin is in its orbit in any given time frame of someone's game when the settings are added.

Also do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this hard edge line on the horizon when you're above a layer or is that something that will be part of volumetric atmospheres?

http://i.imgur.com/MPn3qR9.png

So positions are tied directly to UT-in game, so you won't have to worry about alignment between games. You'll have to toy around with the "rim" settings to make the edge less hard.

I have this edge even on all cfg's that I have tried(no idea about Astronomer's, still waiting for a release there, but Thesonicgalaxy's one has it too).

It's the single thing that I find sort of not right with the mod, but I guess it can't be removed completely due to the nature of the mod itself - it is a 2D texture after all. You are bound to see its edges from a certain view angle.

EDIT: Thesonicgalaxy - have you checked for compatibility of your pack with the test Overhaul-2 release of EVE?

Edited by smunisto

I have this edge even on all cfg's that I have tried(no idea about Astronomer's, still waiting for a release there, but Thesonicgalaxy's one has it too).

It's the single thing that I find sort of not right with the mod, but I guess it can't be removed completely due to the nature of the mod itself - it is a 2D texture after all. You are bound to see its edges from a certain view angle.

EDIT: Thesonicgalaxy - have you checked for compatibility of your pack with the test Overhaul-2 release of EVE?

Ha. As if BA V4 is going to work with the overhaul. There are way too many changes in both config and folders that it's a huge no. I'd rather wait for V8 of EVE first.

So positions are tied directly to UT-in game, so you won't have to worry about alignment between games. You'll have to toy around with the "rim" settings to make the edge less hard.

Excellent!! This is great news. Is there a way I could just make the whole layer fade away right before you cross the threshold? Then you'd never see the edge.

Ha. As if BA V4 is going to work with the overhaul. There are way too many changes in both config and folders that it's a huge no. I'd rather wait for V8 of EVE first.

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that, but the old config mechanism was an awful mess (more of an ongoing hack to begin with) and had to be replaced given that awesome folks were using it to do crazy things :). This new system will work perfectly out of the box, and will mean I won't have to fiddle with the GUI now that it is in place (ah the wonders of c# reflection!) when I add new modules (rings, ocean, volume atmosphere, dust/storms/etc). Given what it will entail, it will be a while until it is out, but I'll ensure the wait will be worth it.

Excellent!! This is great news. Is there a way I could just make the whole layer fade away right before you cross the threshold? Then you'd never see the edge.

This one I'm not sure about. I'd have to look at the shader to see if I expose enough variables to do this.

Looking through all the pages, I'm getting the idea that there is much to come! Great work, way to start a KSP revolution, rbray!

I'll release my pack tomorrow. I think it's had about enough "improvements" lol.

Looking forward to using those new configs.

Looking through all the pages, I'm getting the idea that there is much to come! Great work, way to start a KSP revolution, rbray!

I'll release my pack tomorrow. I think it's had about enough "improvements" lol.

Looking forward to using those new configs.

I'm looking forward to sharing the link to your pack, Astronomer! LOVE those aurorae!

screenshot994_zps8f47d805.png

Nifty! I haven't landed a crew on Eve in my current save. I'd like at least the HOPE of getting them back to Kerbin someday. :P

That... might be difficult. The new large parts seem like the most obvious solution.

Also I made two gifs:

Sped-up

output_9CFnlG.gif

Real Time

output_0G8IAo.gif

Edited by Astronomer

Got my custom city day and night textures done. Need to tweak the scaling though.

However, the PQS terrain with city lights is quite different than when lacking city lights; for example, the runway turned out to be undergound when I moved KSC to a city lights area (not seen in these shots). Do you change the levels of the PQS at all?

Day:

jn8iqLil.jpg

Night:

I77PiLgl.jpg