[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

V3 FINAL will be based on 7-3. V4 will be based on whatever the next version is. :]

rbray89, people on reddit are asking for color sliders. Will this be a feature?

It is on my list of items :)

Decided to rework the auroras as one of the things for the upcoming patch for my pack. You can't see it from here, but they are animated a lot better now. Still WIP, probably should turn it down for Duna.

Also I've reworked Eve. I figured if the land has to be somewhat visible from orbit for convenience, doesn't mean I can't add more volumetric layers as you come in for landing.

Looks so great, I hope it will work for me time time around.

Did you ever have any luck replacing the ocean layer with a shader?

Still in-progress. Currently a viable option is to just stick to the original shader for now while the kinks are worked out.

Hey Rbray, any progress on the shadow system and atmospheric shader? I can't wait for it to replace these fiddly 2D atmosphere layers, The photo I saw a while back looked incredible.

The shadow system is proving to be quite fiddly with the shader. I'm basically trying to map an equirectangular image to an orthographic spherical projection (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_projection_in_cartography) but I'm having difficulty getting it to be properly sized and without distortion. The atmospheric shader should be much more straight forward, but I want the shadow system working properly first. The good news is that once that is operational, It will all be super stable and look fantastic.

Sweet, well good luck! I've also noticed that the terrain manager only works for Earth/Kerbin on RSS? it literally does nothing to ground colour on the other planets? Cloud stuff work properly on all though.

Sweet, well good luck! I've also noticed that the terrain manager only works for Earth/Kerbin on RSS? it literally does nothing to ground colour on the other planets? Cloud stuff work properly on all though.

Not entirely sure... Haven't really tested it out on any other body. It shouldn't alter the color, but it will change the terrain shader/textures.

Yeah that's what I mean none of the colour values, min light, albedo anything work on other planets weirdly. It's mainly so I can change the Eve surface from purple to what Venus' would be.

Is it just map view or terrain?

I think eve has no city lights because there should be no citys on eve... or do you mean kerbin?

Here you can see you question being asked on the first page of the thread, the devs answer is in the post below...

Edited by Schmonzo

I think eve has no city lights because there should be no citys on eve... or do you mean kerbin?

Here you can see you question being asked on the first page of the thread, the devs answer is in the post below...

He means EVE as in Environmental Visual Enhancements.

@tomllama - check you have both the city lights dll and textures installed. If not, redownload and try again.

It appears to be just mars and Earth it works for, and at terrain level/PQS only Earth (but maybe mars also). I think it may be to do with how much the planets properties were altered by RSS.

Also would it be realistic to say we might see the return of normals maps in the new system?

ALSOalso could you maybe give a super duper ultra rough ETA on atmosphere shader release? It will be the single biggest break for RSS/EVE modding since the overhauls release. It is IMHO by far the most needed feature for RSS PQS visuals. Would it extend natively through to ScaledSpace or would it be in the two separate layer system for SS/PQS as is currently?

Might it be able to look something like this at PQS level? ..In that it picks up with reducing distance to horizon, and that the 'haze' becomes more visible with lowering altitude i.e. looking through more atmo more horizontally.

XVUMkq5.png

(Minus the flat edge on the horizon!)

P.s. I do understand if you'd rather not put an exact ETA on it for not wanting to feel pushed to bring it out there and then if things aren't going to plan etc etc < I know that feel!

EDIT: And one other thing while I'm at it, may as well put it all here, have you ever concidered some way of creating layers perpendicular to the surface, I'm thinking for stuff like cumulus clouds from orbit and vertical auroras? I don't know how placement would be mapped though if perpendicular.. maybe Scaled space layer-determined billboards that are perpendicular to the layer

Edited by pingopete

Hello everyone :)

When i try to use diz amazing texture pack my game crash before the menu appears and it closes,

It happens every time.

Can someone help me with this?

lol2c9.jpg

You're probably running out of memory. Fire up Tank Manager and watch it as KSP loads. If KSP goes over 3.5GB or thereabouts, bad things will happen. I've also had issues with 8k textures even though I was coming in under the memory limit. This restriction will vary from video card to video card, I'd wager. (I had to resize all my 8k textures to 4k, but that's what I get for running KSP on a laptop.)

It appears to be just mars and Earth it works for, and at terrain level/PQS only Earth (but maybe mars also). I think it may be to do with how much the planets properties were altered by RSS.

Also would it be realistic to say we might see the return of normals maps in the new system?

ALSOalso could you maybe give a super duper ultra rough ETA on atmosphere shader release? It will be the single biggest break for RSS/EVE modding since the overhauls release. It is IMHO by far the most needed feature for RSS PQS visuals. Would it extend natively through to ScaledSpace or would it be in the two separate layer system for SS/PQS as is currently?

Might it be able to look something like this at PQS level? ..In that it picks up with reducing distance to horizon, and that the 'haze' becomes more visible with lowering altitude i.e. looking through more atmo more horizontally.

http://i.imgur.com/XVUMkq5.png

(Minus the flat edge on the horizon!)

P.s. I do understand if you'd rather not put an exact ETA on it for not wanting to feel pushed to bring it out there and then if things aren't going to plan etc etc < I know that feel!

EDIT: And one other thing while I'm at it, may as well put it all here, have you ever concidered some way of creating layers perpendicular to the surface, I'm thinking for stuff like cumulus clouds from orbit and vertical auroras? I don't know how placement would be mapped though if perpendicular.. maybe Scaled space layer-determined billboards that are perpendicular to the layer

Shadows, Atmospheric volume , are the next two items (yes, it will look similar to that), then re-vamping the terrain and ocean shaders. After that I want to add more dynamic shading to the particle billboards so they have more of a "sunset" look.

Shadows, Atmospheric volume , are the next two items (yes, it will look similar to that), then re-vamping the terrain and ocean shaders. After that I want to add more dynamic shading to the particle billboards so they have more of a "sunset" look.

Ah awesome yeah some work on the billboards could make them look even more epic. No ETA then lol, fair enough

[Exception]: UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting this? I just upgraded ATM to 3-2, which involved copying the ActiveTexturesManagementConfig folder into the BoulderCo directory. Did I muck something up when I did this? I'm also getting it for Duna.

The ATM configs are outdated for EVE Overhaul. rbray is aware and fixing.

For now, open GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs\BoulderCo.cfg

and replace it with:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = BoulderCo
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Atmosphere/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
BoulderCo/Clouds/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
BoulderCo/CityLights/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = true
}
}
}

Awesome! Thanks for the help; I'll try it a little later. Now that you mention it, I think I saw it somewhere in the 300-some-odd pages.

UPDATE: Works like a charm! Thanks again.

Edited by Kalloran

The ATM configs are outdated for EVE Overhaul. rbray is aware and fixing.

For now, open GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs\BoulderCo.cfg

and replace it with:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = BoulderCo
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Atmosphere/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
BoulderCo/Clouds/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
BoulderCo/CityLights/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = true
}
}
}

ATM has been updated. I think I forgot to edit the title though.

rbray: Yeah, I grabbed the 3-2 update, but the BouderCo.cfg definitely didn't have the code that Nathan posted.

It should have alternative code. Using the regex to handle it instead of the duplicate entries.