Bigger fairing for atomic engines

Right now, if we want to put atomic engine between two larger tanks in our rocket, we need to reinforce it with struts.. otherwise rocket tears apart during manouvers.

We should somehow have ability to just choose bigger fairing for these engines.

Or it is somehow possible with mods?

Edited by kiwiak

Maybe instead just atomic engines getting new bigger fairings, all 1 meter engines should get a 2 meter fairing.

wait, what?

Ok, so let me get this straight.

Building a 1m stack with an engine, put a decoupler, and get a 2m fairing?

Next question, what happens with 2m engines? 3m fairings?

wait, what?

Ok, so let me get this straight.

Building a 1m stack with an engine, put a decoupler, and get a 2m fairing?

Next question, what happens with 2m engines? 3m fairings?

I think he means that the size of the fairing should be determined by the size of the decoupler below the engine, not the engine itself, so if you place the nuclear engine above a large decoupler, you get a larger fairing.

It might be a good idea, but then every engine would need to have several different fairings to cover all possible size combinations.

To OP:

The fairings are purely cosmetic and do not add structural stability in any way, so you would still need struts...

Edited by Awaras

I think he means that the size of the fairing should be determined by the size of the decoupler below the engine, not the engine itself, so if you place the nuclear engine above a large decoupler, you get a larger fairing.

It might be a good idea, but then every engine would need to have several different fairings to cover all possible size combinations.

To OP:

The fairings are purely cosmetic and do not add structural stability in any way, so you would still need struts...

Yep, that's what I meant. Sorry if I was unclear.

Thats exacly what i meant.

To OP:

oh, i didnt know that.

Aye, if the fairings had a structural strength with them (which they should, really, because last I checked they do add extra weight), then this would be very useful indeed. The nuclear engines would be interesting, though, especially because of how their fairings decouple differently to all the other engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.