The physics of homeopathy

Winter Man

Royal S.Copeland Senator from New York, and homeopathic doctor

Ahem. Please give him his proper title. :sticktongue:

I really don't know why quack medicine is legal. If you were to sell a box of cereal claiming it contained 20% of your RDA of calcium but in reality it was only 15%, you'd get heavily fined, forced to give back refunds and in America, probably would be sued. But you can legally sell sugar pills claiming they can treat anything, even cancer or depression.

I'm sorry, but I don't configure the error in her reasoning.

Everything this woman said was absolutely factual. Factual in her head, I mean. :cool: She reminds me of a chemistry professor I had who'd present techno-babble nonsense like "Newton was so intelligent he wrote one book called The Principia - to this day noone knows what it all means." and stuff like that. I always wondered what the mental process was that had people believe and re-tell extremely improbably facts.

Edited by WestAir

Homeopathy works by using the placebo effect, which is clinically proven and widely used all over the world. The problem is that once you know that it's just a placebo, then it no longer works. That's why it's called homeopathy and not placebo.

The real scandal is the "pharmaceutical" companies who make millions by selling homeopathic preparations that are just sugar.

Homeopathy works through the placebo effect: this one is scientifically proved. Basically you drink water with some sugar for taste, they tell you it's a potent medication, you already feel better. Works for many minor ailments, of course dont expect to relieve someone from terminal cancer with just this...

thing is as soon as you call them out for being placebos they loose their effectiveness. which is probibly why its protected by law.

thats aside from the fact that its a cash cow. i know an old lady in the woods who spends thousands a year on this stuff. it costs enough to be replaced by actual medicine. biggest scam ever. i mean it makes sense if the only thing you can afford is nothing (and your health care system sucks), placebo effect is effective enough for chronic symptoms. but once you start charging people money for the stuff, you start detracting from its merits, such as when it financially displaces a useful medication or an actual doctor visit. take 2 tictacs and call me in the morning (that is if you are still alive).

This topic doesn't belong in the Science Labs section, nor on the KSP forums as such really. Depending on how this thread is defined it would be breaking rules 2.2b and/or 2.2f, so for now it shall be closed.

The Moderator Team