Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Bugreport:

In the VAB:

[LOG 11:51:17.593] RTGigaDish1(Clone) added to ship - part count: 24

[LOG 11:51:17.609] stage count is: 0

[LOG 11:51:17.609] RTGigaDish1(Clone)(Clone) added to ship - part count: 25

[LOG 11:51:17.609] stage count is: 0

[LOG 11:51:17.609] Removing undo list (27, 3)

[EXC 11:51:17.640] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 11:51:17.640] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hogging and slowing the whole game until i remove the dish (or every parts that belongs remotetech) from the ship.

PM me KSP_Data/output_log.txt, not the other.

allows a vehicle consisting of 6 or more kerbals to

Some time ago there was a discussion about pods being able to do crew reports without a crew as long as a probe body is present - and somewhere we talked about a science module that should only operate with Kerbals on board - but in neither case this seemed possible.

So - how do you do link functionality to the presence of a crew? :)

Some time ago there was a discussion about pods being able to do crew reports without a crew as long as a probe body is present - and somewhere we talked about a science module that should only operate with Kerbals on board - but in neither case this seemed possible.

So - how do you do link functionality to the presence of a crew? :)

I measure the crew? Easy.

Since release i have been using RT in my heavy modded install so i can help you narrow down that list a bit.

From my expirience the following mods you have installed are NOT causing any problems with stock probe cores under RT:

b9

engineer redux

KAS

nova punch

proc fairings

TAL Spherical fuel tanks

okay so that only leaves kspx, EXLP, pwb that could be breaking it. Ill report back. Thanks

Issues I will deal with next patch (tomorrow?)

• Recent NRE spam in editor causing lag for low-end PCs (harmless other than lag);
  • ModuleRTAntennaPassive not working when unloaded due to parsing error;
  • ModuleRTAntennaPassive not working on launch clamps;
  • Basic Flight Computer;
  • Settings file with all requested functionality;
  • Signal Delay off by default, on by setting. Default may change in the future;
  • Allow Dishes to target the Active Vessel at all times;
  • Tracking Station not saving target changes.

Now KSP gets interesting once more besides the tech tree. :D But just a curious question guys. . . . can any of you show/give tips on making an effective interplanetary satellite network? I've been toying with this since RT-1 was halted. . . if any o' you guys could shed some light onto this. . . that'd be great. Thanks in advance. :)

Issues I will deal with next patch (tomorrow?)

• Recent NRE spam in editor causing lag for low-end PCs (harmless other than lag);
  • ModuleRTAntennaPassive not working when unloaded due to parsing error;
  • ModuleRTAntennaPassive not working on launch clamps;
  • Basic Flight Computer;
  • Settings file with all requested functionality;
  • Signal Delay off by default, on by setting. Default may change in the future;
  • Allow Dishes to target the Active Vessel at all times;
  • Tracking Station not saving target changes.

Signal Delay and Flight Computer, the moment I've been waiting for. :P

Now KSP gets interesting once more besides the tech tree. :D But just a curious question guys. . . . can any of you show/give tips on making an effective interplanetary satellite network? I've been toying with this since RT-1 was halted. . . if any o' you guys could shed some light onto this. . . that'd be great. Thanks in advance. :)

Part of the fun of it is that there are plenty of ways to accomplish a specific goal. I quickly became obsessed with this mod as I've done quite a bit of work with man-pack FM radios in very hilly country where manned relay stations are a must (and automated ones with vintage gear put the "magic" in the term "FM"), so I geek out on this stuff. My standard comms plan:

1) Put up a nice big constellation of satellites w/ omnidirectional antennas. I like a 1/2 period orbit a.k.a. 3 hour orbital period (I think 1/2 period is the correct term?) These handle your relay traffic in/out of KSC. I go for 8, although that's really more than necessary. I do not want a momentary LOS blackout interrupting a critical maneuver or causing me to miss a window! Once I got burned by comms going down before I could extend solar panels...dead satellite.

2) Get the workhorse satellites on station. I rig these up with small dishes and omnidirectionals. The dishes handle specific comms targets and the omnis relay to my lower constellation.

3) This is where things get mission specific. Once I put a couple satellites with long range dishes on a highly eliptical polar orbit inspired by the Molniya Orbit. My idea was to maximize on-station time waaaay up over Kerbin and have one satellite ascending while the other descended. I figured "If I put it way up there I'm not gonna have LOS issues." Worked decently well. Sky's the limit on your mission-specific comms.

Getting the bones of your network 100% solid is the best way to prevent future problems. Conducting a routine relay satellite launch to fix your shoddy network under the pressure of an upcoming maneuver window is not fun...although it's probably the most Kerbal way of doing things :confused:

Edited by abica

This is a continuation of Intidragon's query, and I am not trying to derail this thread too much, but is the only way really to establish a network around Duna for example to send a manned mission to deploy the satellites?

Thanks for your reply Cilph

Edited by 15nelsoc
Thanks

This is a continuation of Intidragon's query, and I am not trying to derail this thread too much, but is the only way really to establish a network around Duna for example to send a manned mission to deploy the satellites?

No, you can have a dish in Kerbin orbit maintain a connection with a seed vessel on the way to Duna. The seed vessel can have an omni to control your satellites once you deploy them to reconfigure them and move them to their positions.

Where is the documentation on the 4 icons that show up in the map screen? I'm wondering what all the various settings are.
* Color active connection lime green

* Enable cone display for dishes targeting planets

* Toggle display omni, dish, omni + dish

* Same status indicator as in the top left. Clicking allows you to set the dish targets.

Here you go. :)

I'm about to start a brand new "super-game" from scratch. Should I not put the mod in until the next version arrives? Or put this current one in and replace it when the new one arrives? Exciting!

I'm about to start a brand new "super-game" from scratch. Should I not put the mod in until the next version arrives? Or put this current one in and replace it when the new one arrives? Exciting!

Eh, do whatever. It's compatible.

Eh, do whatever. It's compatible.

Thanks to you, orbital space around my planet will be a worsening nightmare since I'm terrible and still won't use mechjab :) and I'm sure it will take me 30 satellites to get proper coverage LOL!

Probes are all wonky since installing this mod. The only thing I added to my workhorse satellite was a Remotetech antenna and now the ship wobbles all over like I'm back in 0.13.

Current versions of MJ and KE are the only other mods I have installed.

Here is my pain:

1: I build 4 sats with omni antennas and dishes (power suppply and all) all dishes have the Mün as target

2: 4 Mün stas that targets Kerbin = no connection

3: But I can get connection if the Mün sats targets Mission control but only when theres line of sight. This makes the Kerbins Sats unnecessary.

What am I missing? I suspect its the command moduels but I tried all unmaned ones

Huh ... something is not quite clear to me ... :blush:

Sending and receiving device have to be in range of each other, omni-antennas and dishes can connect with each other, omni-antennas being mainly limited by range and dishes by the cone (direction) they can cover.

That much is clear, but:

Omnidirectional antennas will relay signals as far and as long as they have another antenna in range and sight?

So, if I have satellites with antennas covering LKO, my unmanned probes could roam there freely as long as they have an antenna of their own, the signal being relayed from KSC to the next satellite around Kerbin onto the next to wherever in LKO the probe is, no manual linking or targeting necessary?

Dishes have to have a partner dish at the target location?

So, to control an unmanned probe rover on Duna, I could use these satellites in LKO orbit to relay signals from KSC to at least two relay stations orbiting in a higher orbit to always have one in sight of Duna - or also equip every satellite in LKO with dishes. At Duna I would need a similar setup to relay the signal to the rover on the surface.

Though would I have to link one dish of every satellite in Kerbin and Duna to every satellite around the other planet to always have a connection ... or do I only have to target one dish on every satellite to the other planet and the system links them as needed/when in view?

Then linking two antennas is only for ships in transit?

Can I reach a point where there is no "free" dish to link to by aiming at planets?

tl/dr

2: 4 Mün stas that targets Kerbin = no connection

I have seen in my game, that Mun satellites targetting Kerbin can appear to be "too close" to Kerbin itself to succesfuly pickup a Kerbin orbiting dish, unless you specify the target as a satellite directly, as you describe.

The cone-view shows it on the map sometimes, as the Kerbin satellite can be outside of the mun satellites cone (to the left or right), or too far back from the centre of Kerbin (if the orbit on kerbin is high enough). It only seems to work when it is nearer to the centre of the orbit in relation to the Mun.

Huh ... something is not quite clear to me ... :blush:

Sending and receiving device have to be in range of each other, omni-antennas and dishes can connect with each other, omni-antennas being mainly limited by range and dishes by the cone (direction) they can cover.

That much is clear, but:

Omnidirectional antennas will relay signals as far and as long as they have another antenna in range and sight?

So, if I have satellites with antennas covering LKO, my unmanned probes could roam there freely as long as they have an antenna of their own, the signal being relayed from KSC to the next satellite around Kerbin onto the next to wherever in LKO the probe is, no manual linking or targeting necessary?

Dishes have to have a partner dish at the target location?

So, to control an unmanned probe rover on Duna, I could use these satellites in LKO orbit to relay signals from KSC to at least two relay stations orbiting in a higher orbit to always have one in sight of Duna - or also equip every satellite in LKO with dishes. At Duna I would need a similar setup to relay the signal to the rover on the surface.

Though would I have to link one dish of every satellite in Kerbin and Duna to every satellite around the other planet to always have a connection ... or do I only have to target one dish on every satellite to the other planet and the system links them as needed/when in view?

Then linking two antennas is only for ships in transit?

Can I reach a point where there is no "free" dish to link to by aiming at planets?

tl/dr

It's all done automatically. Both omnidirectional antenna and dishes will automatically link up to every target they can. For omnidirectional antenna this is limited by their range and for dishes this is limited by their cone and their range. So you only need to point the cone in the right direction to have a connection.

For example:

F466Hgo.jpg

Here you can see my current constellations in the kerbin system. The spiderweb of grey lines are the links provided by omni and the orange ones are by dishes. All I had to do was to point dishes in orbit around the mun to Kerbin and vica versa. Interplanetary constellations could be linked up in much the same way, just with bigger dishes (Didn't unlock those yet, career mode).

So yes, you can run out of dishes to target in kerbin orbit if you're going interplanetary.

Edited by Ralathon

Aahh! So the targeting is only for setting the dish's (fictious) orientation, the direction in which the cone is looking for other antennas!

And the answer was sitting right there with me not seeing - I must be a dish ... :P

A secondary functionality in these dishes is the ability to target planets. When targeting a planet, the dish will look for a target anywhere in a cone towards that planet. How wide this cone can be is a property of the dish.

I misread:

Dishes form a long distance connection between two nodes, and both dishes are required to point at each other. Physically pointing them is not required, you just have to set the target vehicle on the dish. It is possible to form a dish connection with an omnidirectional antenna.

Thank you! :)