Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I found a small display bug with the time delays of the flight computer in the experimental build:

Entered Displayed
20 20s
60 0s
65 5s
122 2m2s
3605 5s
7205 2h5s

If minutes or hours are "1", they seem to be dropped from the display. The actual timing works.

oh ok.. working now, not sure what I did!

Next question, could someone please tell me how I add command capability to a mk1 pod? I have a small mk1 pod orbiter that need to communicate with surface probes... also is it possible to transmit science data from a probe to a pod... and then save it in the pod?

oh ok.. working now, not sure what I did!

Next question, could someone please tell me how I add command capability to a mk1 pod? I have a small mk1 pod orbiter that need to communicate with surface probes... also is it possible to transmit science data from a probe to a pod... and then save it in the pod?

As far as I know the only way to transfer science data is with a Kerbal.

You can add command capability to a mk1 pod, i think through adding a specific line to the config file though I'm not sure that that line is. Although I think you can get it from the configs in RT2 for the remote control units/probe cores, then add it to which ever command pod you wish. Somewhere there is more details about this (or someone will post it here). :) Me personally, I would just go with adding a probe core part to my vessel that I wanted to control (with no kerbal in it).

As far as I know the only way to transfer science data is with a Kerbal.

You can add command capability to a mk1 pod, i think through adding a specific line to the config file though I'm not sure that that line is. Although I think you can get it from the configs in RT2 for the remote control units/probe cores, then add it to which ever command pod you wish. Somewhere there is more details about this (or someone will post it here). :) Me personally, I would just go with adding a probe core part to my vessel that I wanted to control (with no kerbal in it).

There dont seem to be any command parts included with remotetech 2 for me to copy the code from, only config files to give passive connectivity to probes.

There dont seem to be any command parts included with remotetech 2 for me to copy the code from, only config files to give passive connectivity to probes.
@PART[probeStackLarge]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

IsRTCommandStation = true

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

TechRequired = unmannedTech

OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

}

}

But I don't think you will be able to make one-man pod a command station. I think there's a limit hardcoded somewhere, like, there should be a minimum of 5 or 6 kerbals onboard.

Edited by J.Random

But I don't think you will be able to make one-man pod a command station. I think there's a limit hardcoded somewhere, like, there should be a minimum of 5 or 6 kerbals onboard.

That's a shame... limits the authenticity of the mod a lot. Even back in the 1960s a gemini capsule could send commands to an agena probe. Hope it gets fixed, it makes no sense at present... one man can control a probe.

That's a shame... limits the authenticity of the mod a lot. Even back in the 1960s a gemini capsule could send commands to an agena probe. Hope it gets fixed, it makes no sense at present... one man can control a probe.

I remember that there was a config file where you could set things like speed of light (for people who don't like delay) and maybe amount of kerbals needed to operate mobile control center, but I can't find it in the current build. Don't know if it should be there or was intentionally removed. You'll have to wait until Cilph come and give an answer, I guess.

I'm not entirely certain that Gemini 8 had any ability to command Agena remotely. Do you have a reference to that? My understanding is that the craft was oriented with its own internal gyro's and that the Capsule only had control over it while Docked. Anyhow, even if there was some relay between them it was at very short range (not more than a few miles). Gemini capules didn't exactly have massive battery array's or extensive solar power to drive any long term kind of communication relay, which is a lot different from what the Command capability in RT2 is intended to do.

I think leaving it as is would probably be more realistic. I have already done an Agena type craft in one of my saves and use it to keep my docking skills sharp - Mine is 'Athena' and its in a very nearly perfect 0 inclined 200km LKO, its very handy when I'm feeling a little rusty. And I don't relay anything to it, it is stable on its own.

Has anybody else been having issues where trying to target Mission Control with a dish has the dish report that it's target is Unknown, while failing to target anything?

I'm having this problem, too. The probes worked fine until I switched to a different one, and coming back I see this message. I'm also noticing that my select target window has a blank button under every probe (and Mission Control) it can target, and I get the same Unknown target if I select either button.

I'm having this problem, too. The probes worked fine until I switched to a different one, and coming back I see this message. I'm also noticing that my select target window has a blank button under every probe (and Mission Control) it can target, and I get the same Unknown target if I select either button.

Can't say I've seen the blank selections under probes, but I am definitely noticing that Mission Control comes back as 'Unknown'.

On an unrelated note, does anybody ever have a problem with opening the Flight Computer? Sometimes, when I click the button, it just refuses to open.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that the Flight Computer probably has a career restriction just the same that Smart ASS does. Does anybody know if it's the same restrictions, or did Cilph change them up a bit?

Edited by KWilt
Afterthought

Assuming this latest version (the .23 preview version) hasn't changed anything, you need a ship with three Kerbals in to be able to control probes. Other wise, you will need a full chain of links all the way back to KSC. Either way, I am sure you can not transmit data part way back to Kerbin, you either report to KSC or carry it home.

Personally, I prefer it this way. KSP is a game first and for most. Fun will should always come first over 100% realism. I think it is good that you do not start the tech tree with a the ability to control probes directly, well you do, but you would have to have three of the one man pods.

I'm having it show "Unknown Target" when I target mission control, but so far it's still been working.

Thanks, I wanted to make sure this wasn't just some sort of odd conflict with the mods I have installed before I went saying there was a bug (though I suppose I haven't ruled out mod conflicts yet, so I'll go ahead and test with a clean install sometime in the next couple days when I have time).

had troublem with remote tech2 of annetne whatever is problem keep freeze sometime crash game there no 0.23 of remote tech2

There is a .23 version posted a few pages back, but it is still just a dev build mostly for testing.

AFAIK it's still 6 and the large Probe module.

Confirmed (also mentions this in the Reddit Wiki): 6 Kerbals and (important! This one drove me crazy many times because I keep forgetting it) the LARGE probe module.

In my case, I had stations become command centers on and off because sometimes I had a ship with the large probe module docked (it worked) and later undocked (it stopped working). Anyway that means if you've forgotten to add the module to your ship/station, all you need is to dock one large probe module to a spare docking port and it should become an active command center.

Also would confirm that Mission Control shows up as "unknown target" but otherwise works.

I found a small display bug with the time delays of the flight computer in the experimental build:

Entered Displayed
20 20s
60 0s
65 5s
122 2m2s
3605 5s
7205 2h5s

If minutes or hours are "1", they seem to be dropped from the display. The actual timing works.

I have also ran into this.

Also would confirm that Mission Control shows up as "unknown target" but otherwise works.

I've found that happens quite often, but mainly when I've set my dishes and the vessel has changed configuration ie decouplers and docking. Something to do with the name of the vessel changing to "xxx Lander" or "xxx Probe". The receiving end is looking for a vessel that - searching by name - technically doesn't exist anymore. I think that's what happens anyway...

No idea why Mission Control would do that though...

Confirmed (also mentions this in the Reddit Wiki): 6 Kerbals and (important! This one drove me crazy many times because I keep forgetting it) the LARGE probe module.

In my case, I had stations become command centers on and off because sometimes I had a ship with the large probe module docked (it worked) and later undocked (it stopped working). Anyway that means if you've forgotten to add the module to your ship/station, all you need is to dock one large probe module to a spare docking port and it should become an active command center.

I edited the small one to have this feature too, On some of my space stations and installations the large core just doesn't look right, and I still wanted to use it to control probes.

Not .23 related but I wanted to share a spreadsheet I use. it's based on one to know the dark time of an orbit but I added a few other tabs (I forgot who was the original author and can't find the thread, so thanks to him if he reads that)

Make a copy to edit (File => Make a copy ) then set the numbers in the white box.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An8NcugzRlWpdFBsNHd6N21qdUZVUGpyYmlDRjRyb3c&usp=sharing