Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

The wiki suggests putting two satellites in the same orbit as the Mun with one trailing mun by 3500km and another in front of mun 3500 km. Can anyone describe the procedure for accomplishing this either manually or with mechjeb2 or the built in remotetech2 nav computer. I am kind of eyeball the orbital height and then play with the orbital period but it's not very accurate. However, I am totally failing to see how I get the 3500km spacing with any kind of accuracy. I can't figure the proper math for speeding up or slowing down the orbit and then timing the recircularization burn. I have failed now more times then I care to admit and do not want to waste time trying again until I have a solid idea of what I am doing.

In a fit of laziness I just put N/S polar ground installations on the Mun (and Kerbin/Minmus) instead, since if you get the orbit wrong by even a tiny bit, your satellite sharing the bodies orbit will eventually intersect.

Since the Mun has eccentricity, inclination and argument of 0° and the relay towers are tall enough, they're always in the sun and I get decent coverage except right next to the bodies at the equator, which are covered by equal spaced equatorially orbiting Omni relays

Backed up with a set of outer major relay triplets just inside the SoI of Kerbin but outside the SoI-reach/orbit of Minmus.

Jebnix is not a fork.. If you're interested in forks, look at Github. There's quite a few, and development seems quite active, actually.

I remembered reading about it, although I admit I hadn't used kOS so I skimmed the announcement pretty quickly. I hope Mr. Laity returns to make a new v10 Master/Release of kOS for 0.23

Edited by NoMrBond

Wasn't there a fork of kOS called Jebnix in active development?

Not sure where it is in terms of usability though

As others have said there is a completely new mod someone is working on called Jebnix. Not sure if there is a prototype yet as I haven't been following it (or much of any of the mods) lately. It is a new mod all together although the author is thinking of making it compatible with kerboscript (so those of us that have libraries of scripts can still use them with out having to write new ones). Although that maybe a rather large thing to tackle I'd imagine.

Was there any particular reason why kOS compatibility was cut off in the first place? Is there some way I can force it to be? ;)

Speaking of which, are there still plans to improve the Flight Computer capabilities? Node execution is, as some people have already reported, quite problematic. The timer for the flight computer seems to go off-sync with realgame time (e.g. if the node is an hour away and I set my burn to start in an hour, it'll often be late). Maybe incorporate triggers instead, such as burn at next node? I suppose it would be also nice to include a delta-v parameter instead of a burn time?

Was there any particular reason why kOS compatibility was cut off in the first place? Is there some way I can force it to be? ;)

Speaking of which, are there still plans to improve the Flight Computer capabilities? Node execution is, as some people have already reported, quite problematic. The timer for the flight computer seems to go off-sync with realgame time (e.g. if the node is an hour away and I set my burn to start in an hour, it'll often be late). Maybe incorporate triggers instead, such as burn at next node? I suppose it would be also nice to include a delta-v parameter instead of a burn time?

You can add a delta-v burn

Edit and think he wants us to use his fight computer not mj or kos :huh: which yes bite's

Edit when you setup your maneuver node then hit kill and node on fight computer from your node you have your time and delta v first set the throttle right below that put in you delta v where you see 0s there put in your delta v change it to let's 150m/s then put your delay time in lets say 1h,15m,0s then hit enter you should see your delay timer then hit burn and it starts

the clock.

Edit timer bottom right you see just 0 there put in time not where you see 0s.

Edited by Mecripp2

The timer for the flight computer seems to go off-sync with realgame time (e.g. if the node is an hour away and I set my burn to start in an hour, it'll often be late).

I have this problem too. It seems to only happen when I time warp, however.

You can add a delta-v burn

Edit and think he wants us to use his fight computer not mj or kos :huh: which yes bite's

Edit when you setup your maneuver node then hit kill and node on fight computer from your node you have your time and delta v first set the throttle right below that put in you delta v where you see 0s there put in your delta v change it to let's 150m/s then put your delay time in lets say 1h,15m,0s then hit enter you should see your delay timer then hit burn and it starts

the clock.

Edit timer bottom right you see just 0 there put in time not where you see 0s.

I don't quite understand the part with how to execute a delta-v burn instead of a burn time burn?

@PirateCat, yeah the problem is most of the time I'll prefer to set up my burn times way before I lose contact.

@theSheare right below throttle on the fight computer you see 0s thats where you enter your delta v then when you hit >> far right you see delay (+ signal) 0.00s just to the right is where you put time in.

Edit Don't know if you have a maneuver node in if you can hit exec or not will have to try it.

Edited by Mecripp2

I just noticed that the the MET clock starts from the time the rocket is loaded on the pad, and not at liftoff. Is there a way to change that?

My clock don't start till launch, 1 of us has a broke clock :rolleyes:

Edited by Mecripp2

I don't mean to go on a rant, but I can't seem to have any luck with this. I've spent a couple hours now trying to get this most recent version of RT2 to work with .21 or .22, both with clean starts and trying to integrate it with some of my other mods. It seems to always break Mechjeb (no control panel in either flight mode or the VAB). And most of the time all I manage to get from installing RT2 is a set of pretty dishes and antennae in the VAB menu. I can attach them to (powered) crafts, but upon moving them to the launchpad, I only have the option to deploy the pieces that can be deployed. Only once did I manage to get a RT2 menu to come up in flight mode, but it told me I was out of range, despite having four different antennae and dishes powered. And it wouldn't bring up the Mechjeb controls when I selected that option.

It's likely something I've done wrong or that I'm just missing, but I suppose I feel additionally frustrated at the lack of installation instructions with the RT2 download, as well as the lack of information in the VAB mouse-over menus regarding RT2 part power requirements and/or comms range.

I guess if anyone can make a reasonable guess at something I'm blatantly missing, that would be appreciated, otherwise this just isn't for me. But I would suggest adding the power requirement/effective range info for the (nicely designed) mod parts.

Haven't had any luck with the newer downloads of Mechjeb, they seem to be incomplete when I unzip them. So I've been using an older version that I know works. And no idea what the toolbar is. I'll take a look in the morning, thanks though.

Anyone know how to keep the antenna's dishes in as not only part but as valid antenna's.

Current bugs & troubles have made me seriously consider remotech2 from my lp,but I find the stock antenna's a bit lacking for especially long range missions

Are you sure the one with dishes isn't only connected because it's connected to another satellite targetting Active Vessel?

Because in that case that satellite with the dishes around Moho will only be connected if it IS the active vessel...

P.S. What's the distance between and altitude of the two sats around Moho?

Thanks! That was indeed the case. I now better understand how RT2 works.

The MechJeb issue with throttle was fixed a while ago I think it was during KSP 0.22 even. It's a MJ update not RemoteTech. Toolbar probably doesn't work with .21 either, most .23 mods don't work actually. I see absolutely no reason for you not to upgrade, 23 is just better.

This formula is easier but gives the same answer, still 4076 for GEO orbit. Thanks for verifying.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Satellite_Coverage

This does cover some of the calculations useful for that plugin. Although I might will add a "how many satellites at what altitude do I need when the antennae have a specific range".

Fabian

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Satellite_Coverage

This does cover some of the calculations useful for that plugin. Although I might will add a "how many satellites at what altitude do I need when the antennae have a specific range".

Fabian

Nice page.

Write something about each antenna part; what it's most common use?

For example:

Communotron 88-88

This dish is most commonly used for interplanetary communications in the inner kerbol system. It has enough range to keep Moho, Eve, Kerbin and Duna in range.

Dres is also a possibility, then communications can be become interrupted as Dres is sometimes just beyond the range of this antenna. As this dish is light-weight

and retractable it's a great dish to include multiple of on your interplanetary communications satellites. Just remember that's it not the best dish for keeping

contact with probes that are entering an atmosphere.

Or maybe describe a possible career mode satellite network buildup?