The hardest part of KSP for me

ohlookabirdie

My permanent refuel station in Kerbin orbit is called Ilmarinen, and the Mun-Kerbin fuel transport is called Seppo.

Isn't "Seppo" Ilmarinen's nickname anyway, though? :P

On topic: if it wasn't for a boring bus ride where I had to pass time somehow, my Kerbals probably wouldn't have a naming convention yet. But so, I'm doing it in the format of:

subprogram designation|mission type and number ; craft name.

I name my orbiters, landers and spaceplanes after birds, probes after insects, lifters after stars, stations after dragons; scientific vessels and bigger ships get names of either scientists or rivers/mountains. And bases, when I finally build any, will be sporting Slavic/Celtic/Baltic/Finnish mythological naming. Different iterations of each design get alpha, beta, gamma etc. assigned to them as a suffix.

So a Mk2 version of a Corvus orbiter which carries out, let's say, the fifth mission of project Longshot (for example transferring crew to a newly built station), would get the full name of LS|CT-05 Corvus Beta.

... am I overthinking this? :rolleyes:

I must be overly creative. I have never had too much difficulty naming my ships. Some are named after what they are (Space Station Core, SSTO Trainer, Lifter MK1), but then there's some that I named strangely (V-Tossel [a plane that takes off vertically, but lands like a plane], The Torpedo [My super-heavy space shuttle] and Trashcan BA-1 [a rocket capable of getting to the Mun and back... Powered by nothing but various solid rocket boosters]), so I understand some interesting names.

Uh that's why I give up thinking about stupid names, my lifter series are all named something like “LF7-46-8K“

That means it's pure liquid fuel powered, maximum 7t payload to LKO, 46 parts and have 7499~8500 m/s total dV in vacuum. Epic boring. I know I‘m bad at naming...

My interplanetary refueling station is named Sasha Grey, since she takes on multiple suitors

BUMP.

I am poo at naming so I usually go with names of the Greek/Roman gods, names of planets in the solar system (Isn't that the same thing?) or names of the Mars rovers.

When I get overly complex with names I loose track of all stuff. Just go for a fast, simple names that tell you what the vessel does and what is purpose is, e.g. ''Mars I Probe''

''Mars I Probe'' Is a good example as it tells you where its going (Duna is the in-game analogue of Mars) and what it does (It is a probe, so you can assume it is going to do whatever probes do)

so just use this and it will work out well :D.

Peace

-EliteShadowLeo

I've been naming rocket families after space pioneers. My first sub orbital rockets were Goddard 01 - 03, the first orbit capable craft were Von Braun 01 - 07, the various Munar missions were Armstrong 01 - 04, and my current launch vehicle is the Tsiolkovsky. Just unlocked orange tanks and mainsails last night, so I think I feel another series coming on. Gagarin? Lovell? Hadfield?

My newly constructed refueling station doesn't fit this pattern at all, but "Kerbal Valdez" just seemed so fitting...

I usually just put random names that mean exactly what I'm doing, like, for example, "Rover + Skycrane KAS TO DUNA". I basically adapted a KAS winch into the stock Rover + Skycrane (The first attempt at landing failed as I hit the wrong button to separate; the second time was a success and I landed the skycrane "for the lolz", which then decided to randomly explode. I then accidentally ran a piece of skycrane debris over with the rover, and it was obliterated. I hadn't laughed so hard in years :) )

Sometimes I put slightly creative names, such as MOOOOOOOO for a moon rocket, but most of the times, I use the above method.

After having used names from greek and roman mythology - not very creative - I got bored of that and now pick mostly song or album titles for my ships/stations/whatever. For example, my new space station was christened Strawberry Fields, its shuttle craft is called Crimson King, and a new probe will be launched as Ace of Spades... you get the idea.

Naming is the hardest thing for me. These days, my LVs go by the names Electron, Lightning, Thunder, Thor, Zeus (in increasing order of power) I tend to use similarly themed names for similar spacecraft/missions.

I tend to do like eliteshadow, mission is named after target, Duna mission 2 is funny as it never was an Duna mission 1 except in WAB, this was during the evolution of the modular science lander and it caused an redesign.

Then I rename dropped probes after purpose. Duna north pole rover, it became Duna north pole probe with an probe sign after the wheels broke :)

Tylo is the great killer for me, Eve is pretty gentle even an fail to reach orbit result in an suborbital jump and a kerbal who hibernate for a year while drawing full pay.

Any fail on Tylo result in an high speed impact.

Now lets talk about accurate landings on Tylo.

Even mechjeb tend to miss by 10 km or more, even if dropped from 1000 km orbit with an lander with TWR>2 all the way.

I named my early science mode rockets after dinosaurs (archaic nature), and generally my rockets are build in a series that gets better until I start from scratch again. I tend to name manned rockets after birds and probes after insects, with the rockets that I mess around with being named after what makes them quirky (Like Dual 1 was just two full sized rockets being used side by side to push a center 2.5m rocket into space and beyond).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.