Windows 8.1

Mmmmyum

Soo it's been around a month since the update. Has anyone noticed any incompatible drivers, bugs, etc?

Personally I found that the Dolby HD audio thing doesn't work any more, and there's a bug with my Intel HD4000 drivers (updating now) that causes a BSOD when using DX9 with resolutions that are at a aspect ratio of 3:4 (namely Worms Armageddon (upscaled) and Supreme Commander for me)

Well here is how to fix that:

1. Remove the HDD

2. Wipe neodymium magnets over it 5 times

3. set HDD on fire

4. buy new HDD and Windows 7

5. Install Windows 7

6. ???

7. Profit.

Instead using the magnets and burning it, just fire it into interstellar space right into an alien planet. The HDD will be retrieved by aliens. The aliens will all die horribly because they saw windows 8.1

Hey I actually love Windows 8, it uses almost no resources (but that's not an issue nowadays), and I like it's interface. That's coming from someone who thought it was a stupid thing for tablets when it came out btw

It's awesome both ways.

You guys just love to join the bandwagon, Windows 8 had issues and so people exaggerated because some people got butthurt over the start menu (btw there is one now and if you REALLY want to old on just right click on it).

Windows new UI design honestly looks good in my opinion. And like every new platform crap breaks. Lots of it. Windows Vista (terrible example here) had a very rocky launch but after plenty of patches it's a very stable platform. I remember when 7 launched it had a good share of issues to. Why are we now just suddenly ignoring crap like that and bashing 8?

Windows 8 does have some stuff I don't like but also did 7. Both have their cons and pros but there is just some stuff people ignore to keep bashing it (like it's insane boot times: THEY ARE FASSTTT, and the increased performance all around).

Running 8.1 and it feels just fine to me. And I've been using windows since XP. (some people here probably have been using it since 95)

Oh and if anyone remembers me say hi. I don't post often enough anymore.

(some people here probably have been using it since 95)

Actually since 3.1

I remember the transition to 95 quite well. In my opinion the transition to 8 is a similar leap in terms of how they have changed the UI. The difference is that with 95 you could still use the old program manager if you really couldn't let 3.1 go. (See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg213851.aspx under the 'change comes slowly' header.) Pity they left it to third parties to offer start menu replacements. (I'm aware of the right-click menu, but that only contains a subset of the original functionality.)

if its on a tablet it is alright, but PCs were not meant to be used like tablets.

Convergence is where operating systems are heading. Windows is doing it, Ubuntu is doing it, Apple have stated they'd like to eventually merge as much of the code base of IOS and OS X as possible. Android is being used on laptop-like machines. In 10 years time we'll probably look back and view the idea of having seperate OSes on tablets, phones and PCs as a bit quaint.

Edited by Seret

What? In 7 it took me more, like what are you trying to do?

Windows 7: Start -> Shutdown

Windows 8: Swipe -> Gear Icon -> Settings -> Power -> Shutdown

I also never *ever* had to google how to shut down my pc until 8.

And wait till you have to try getting one into safe mode, I cannot get the boot key combo to work no matter how hard I try (yes I know it's changed.) Luckily you never have to use safe mode at any other time than when you already have access to the operating system normally, right?

Edited by pxi

Ubuntu is doing it

..and causing a bunch of people to take up KDE or XFCE as their new desktop to get away from Unity or Gnome 3, yes.

I don't see that option for Windows 8, or 8.1 "now we have a useless start button that messes with the 3rd party start menus" edition. That is, asides hoping that things like Start8 or Classic Shell will continue to work through 8.2, 8.3 or whatever comes next.

..and causing a bunch of people to take up KDE or XFCE as their new desktop to get away from Unity or Gnome 3, yes.

You can't please all the people all the time, and Linux users are (pretty much by definition) more likely than average to switch their OS to something else occasionally. One thing's for certain though, the desktop paradigm is changing. I'm not 100% convinced Ubuntu have got it right either (online searches through the dash by default? Why?) but at least they get that to sit still in computing is to die.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.