Vall Exploration Challenge [SPOILERS: Duna/Vall]

5. We need total coverage: Orbit two SMART probes in synchronous orbits 180° apart (± 5°) around Vall +5.

A synchronous orbit around vall isn't possible as, to achieve it, one would need to orbit outside its SOI. Unless you just meant that the two satellites have to be in the same orbit... Aside from this, I like it! I shall submit an entry when I go to vall next :P

A synchronous orbit around vall isn't possible as, to achieve it, one would need to orbit outside its SOI. Unless you just meant that the two satellites have to be in the same orbit... Aside from this, I like it! I shall submit an entry when I go to vall next :P

It's funny you mention that.. I just discovered that this morning while attempting to achieve that orbit. Whoops! I shall adjust the rule accordingly.

Thanks for the comment and good luck! :cool:

Rule Updates

Thank you Highlad for pointing out that a synchonous orbit around Vall is not possible. :blush:

4. From top to bottom: Land a SMART probe at >7000m elevation and another <200m elevation +10. Landed probes are >7900m elevation and <50m elevation +10. Increased scoring for the second part of this rule and changed the requirements to make it more do-able.

5. We need total coverage: Orbit two SMART probes in circular orbits 180° apart and Pe minimum 2 200 000 m (± 10°) around Vall +5. Changed to a Pe within Vall's SOI and changed to 10°

Edited by Death Engineering

Ok only basic mission and as usual heavy use of mechjeb, but I guess I qualified for the following points:

- Rocket scientist: Complete the mission without using jet engines +5.

- SMART rovers: Score for each SMART rovers landed on Vall +5.

- This means something: Discover an anomaly on Vall, land <100m from it and place a flag there +10.

- Floating in a tin can: Every kerbal that orbits around Vall in a spacecraft (not command seat) +1. (5 --> +5)

- Let's do some prospecting: Every kerbal that walks on Vall +2. (2 --> +4)

- This will make a nice picture: Take a photo at an anomaly. For each kerbal also in the photo, score +1. (2--> +2)

- We could use a shower: Score for every kerbal who earns "Floating in a tin can" and lands safely at Kerbin +2. (5 --> +10)

--> 41 points

Not sure how to calculate the mass budget if not going to 75km orbit fist, but assembled vessel in 500km orbit was 124t, so it should definite pass the 320t limit.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I thought I'd re-purpose my next Moho mission for this challenge but then I saw this rule:

Hard mode:

• If a crewed landing mission is scored ("Let's do some prospecting"), Bill, Jebediah or Bob is the first kerbal to set foot on Vall.

I don't fly with those guys if I can avoid it. Oh well. Also, I don't exactly see how that is "hard" as opposed to landing any old Kerbal...

I thought I'd re-purpose my next Moho mission for this challenge but then I saw this rule:

I don't fly with those guys if I can avoid it. Oh well. Also, I don't exactly see how that is "hard" as opposed to landing any old Kerbal...

Rule removed. I can't remember why I had it there in the first place; I think I had plans for another co-dependent three-amigo rule but that didn't come together.

Rule removed. I can't remember why I had it there in the first place; I think I had plans for another co-dependent three-amigo rule but that didn't come together.

I appreciate it, I like my trio better! Here is my entry at the moment; I just have to add a satellite carousel for some extra points and she's good to go. Ignore the KER window, it doesn't realize I have eight engines activated...

0zLVEgx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my entry, I think this qualifies for "hard":

Initial transfer burn from 200km pe Kerbin.

Total payload to LKO was less than 200 tons.

No parts mods (on the mission craft).

Engineer, Enhanced Navball, PreciseNode, TAC Fuel Balancer were in use.

All Kerbals launched were safely returned to Kerbin.

As I count the points:

A real 'stick and rudder' kerbal: +5.

Rocket scientist: +5.

Map-master: Orbit at least two SMART satellites around Vall +5. Every other satellite +2 (max x4). +9

SMART landers: +10 (could have gone for +20, but that's just point-whoring)

Floating in a tin can: +3

Let's do some prospecting: +4

This will make a nice picture: +2

We could use a shower: +6

Question about this rule:

We need total coverage: Orbit two SMART probes in circular orbits 180° apart and Pe minimum 2 200 000 m (± 10°) around Vall +5.

2,200,000m is outside of Vall SOI... I have two satellites in circular orbits at the maximum extent, though.

Total: 44 points (possible 49, I guess?)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Total: 44 points (possible 49, I guess?)

Definitely 49. Serves me right for using the Wiki page to get the SOI value (my probe spindle is still orbiting Vall awaiting deployment of it's payload..).

Looks like a very versatile craft you have there. Great mission and congrats on completion! :cool: And 5 points still up for grabs, should you want them...

10.I have a theory: Using observations made at an anomaly, develop a theory around the anomaly and write a post about it +5.

Leaderboard updated and thanks for playing!

• 4 weeks later...

Updated leaderboard with 'best guess' on your completed mission objectives.

Calculated score: 134

Very nice! :cool:

edit: There are 5 points still up for grabs, should you want them...

10.I have a theory: Using observations made at an anomaly, develop a theory around the anomaly and write a post about it +5.
Edited by Death Engineering

p645i6Hl.png

Vall Station has returned to Kerbin!

Final Mission Reports 7 and 8 posted.

• Everyone makes it home (almost)
  • Ludlong gets a new job
  • Vall Henge "secrets" are unlocked

Challenge Scoring

• A real 'stick and rudder' kerbal +5
  • Rocket scientist +5
  • Map-master (4 SMART probes) +9
  • From top to bottom +10
  • We need total coverage +5
  • SMART rovers (4 SMART hoppers) +20
  • SMART landers (2 SMART landers/descent stages) +10
  • This means something +10
  • I have a theory +5
  • Floating in a tin can (21 kerbals) +21
  • Let's do some prospecting (12 kerbals) +24
  • This will make a nice picture +6
  • We could use a shower (1 Kerbal did not return) +40
  • Total: 170

Science Score: 2359 science points

There are still more science points to be had from Vall, and more challenge points as well. Since not all kerbals from the mission returned, this result will be scored as "Normal Mode".

Best of luck to anyone who tries, or is working on, this challenge. Thanks for reading! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.