Antennas in Career Mode

The Communotron 16. A straightforward, albeit boring design. The lowest weight of the three antennas, the lowest energy consumption per Mit, and only fractionally more expensive than the Comms DTS-M1.

So, my question is... What is the point of even HAVING the other two antennae, when the C-16 is superior in virtually every way? Am I missing something obvious with this one?

I was wondering the same thing. Transmit speed doesn't matter when you can queue as many transmissions as necessary. There is always plenty of time to send.

Pretty sure this will have to be re-balanced in the future. There is some wording regarding range, maybe this will play a factor later.

Faster transmission is useful if you're doing a single fast flyby with all six science instruments, but that's about it. I used the faster antennas for a jool probe that (tried) to visit soi's of all the moons, otherwise I just get the basic antenna.

Or if you intend to transmit all available science from a biome, it goes a lot quicker with the fancier antennas. Can't think of any other advantages...

Matter of perspective there...I used to like the way the 88-88 looked on my Hellhound rovers. Now, it's a tad on the large and somewhat gaudy side. :(

Copy the part over from .21 with a new name in the part.cfg, add the new MODULE from .22 - maybe tweak the numbers a bit or just make it an equal alternative for the second antenna - and use it happily ever after. :)

snip

No, the transmitting efficiency is coded into the experiment itself, not the antennas.

If you test this, make sure you do the exact same experiment and did not transmit it before. (Also make sure that you have enough energy to transmit every bit of data or else the antenna will stop and only grant a fraction of the possible science points for the data that was actually sent.)

No, the transmitting efficiency is coded into the experiment itself, not the antennas.

If you test this, make sure you do the exact same experiment and did not transmit it before. (Also make sure that you have enough energy to transmit every bit of data or else the antenna will stop and only grant a fraction of the possible science points for the data that was actually sent.)

Does anyone know for a fact, can science points be lost to be never regained if power runs out during transmission, or transmission is manually cancelled?

Does anyone know for a fact, can science points be lost to be never regained if power runs out during transmission, or transmission is manually cancelled?

I know that you get the science points for the stuff you already transmitted (you get science each time the transmission stops).

I think no science points are lost by that because the not transmitted stuff isn't taken from the science pool, but not sure about that.

Setup an experiment yourself! :D

Put a pod on the launch pad and do an experiment there you did never do before (on the launch pad at least).

Transmit - with enough power - into oblivion. Note values gained and revert to launch.

Limit power by locking batteries/closing solar panels, transmit until a transmission is aborted due to power running out.

Reactivate batteries/panels (bring a Kerbal) and see what happens after once more transmitting the data.

Milk experiment again until nothing is to be gained anymore.

Compare both totals.

Matter of perspective there...I used to like the way the 88-88 looked on my Hellhound rovers. Now, it's a tad on the large and somewhat gaudy side. :(

Definitely a personal opinion! I love the new look :) As someone else said you could always replace or add the old part if you miss it.

Well this is round-about, but since you have to right click an antenna to transmit EVA reports the two larger ones are far easier to click on than the tiny Communotron.

you can also click on the pod to view all stored experiments, and transmit form there

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.