[WIP] Orbital Manufacturing

attosecond

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried to do exactly this, and failed... the technique is simple and slick, but it doesn't work without the player performing a save/load after construction is complete. Since this is unacceptable, I'm moving on to piecemeal construction, which incidentally dovetails nicely with a delayed construction feature.

I thought you got EL close to working? (at least got rid of the NREs). I was hoping for a patch... :P

OK, I had another go (finally) at sketching the Smelter. Also did a brief concept sketch of a 'constructor'. IE a place to build ship components against. The frame is supposed to suggest the maximum width, but I'm not sure if they'd be separate components to bolt onto the center section. IE different frame brackets would spread further and allow bigger ships to be built. The center of the frame is supposed to be an airlock, and around that are four locking units to hold the ship to the frame.

Smelter2.jpg

A low limit for throughput on smelter sounds good. As a reference it's supposed to be about the size of an X200-32 fuel tank, ie half an orange fuel tank. Being able to mass produce the metal with minimal mass doesn't sound realistic anyway to me.

I know quite a few mods are dealing with the 'not active vessel' thing. Two life support mods, a scan mod and KSPI. I think something could be managed, even if the actual store of ore and metal only update when you select the ship and it then works out how much it made in the interim

I know quite a few mods are dealing with the 'not active vessel' thing. Two life support mods, a scan mod and KSPI. I think something could be managed, even if the actual store of ore and metal only update when you select the ship and it then works out how much it made in the interim

Yep KSPI uses it to calculate Fuel usage in the reactors and how much science the science lab has made. It just calculates the amount based on time between loadings. Althou I think its possible to run out of fuel before you come back to the ship, I dont remember if the ship runs out of power or what, its been a while since I ran out of fuel for anything lol.

• 1 month later...

Hearing the plans for expandable build zones keeps making me think of my own orbital shipyard (not plugin enhanced to do this tho :sticktongue:).

9qu9.png

Perhaps this gives some inspiration for how to expand the build area restriction.

Having a mod to make something like the above functional would be too cool.

But it would have to expand in width and height as well as length for bigger ships. You can't just add end pieces on. That means expanding the side panels vertically as well as extending the top panels wideways when larger ships are needed. Maybe an 'Upgrade' button on the station which costs resources? Perhaps with X, Y & Z sliders for size?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.