Eve Rescue

So I landed on Eve and put up a flag, but I couldn't get off the darn planet. I can do a lot in KSP, but Eve is really difficult for me to master. Landing isn't the hard part, it's getting off the planet. Jeb was stuck on Eve for over 14 years and eventually I landed my best attempt of a rescue craft and launched it and it just couldn't make it into orbit. I had to default to the debug menu and use infinite fuel to establish an orbit and rescue Jeb.

My main problem was that my craft that I used had enough power to get to Jool on a straight shot from Kerban so I thought that that had enough power, but on Eve I only got up to about 40,000 meters at 450 m/s.

What kinds of craft have you guys used to escape Eve without the use of any mods?

What tips do you have for attacking Eve for a lander and transfer vehicle that can make the journey there and back to Kerban?

What do you guys think of my current lander design below?

The pod isn't part of the craft, only for testing purposes. The tank in the middle feeds fuel to all of the other engines and adds support. I also have a ladder attached to it.

DB070716FE397E79A24E0C543137355CF6541460

Edited by 700NitroXpress

I believe you need 12000m/s deltaV to get into orbit on Eve.

That's more than you need to get anywhere from Kerbin surface if I'm correct

Ok. So if the craft has enough fuel to get through the majority of Eve's atmosphere, then the orbital engine should handle the rest after I get the craft above 90,000 meters. The problem I'm having is finding the right amount of fuel and thrust required to get into orbit. Everything can work fine on Kerban, but Eve is something entirely different.

So what would be the perfect gravity turn for Eve?

How much fuel would I need to land in order to achieve orbit again?

Are you using mechjeb or kerbal engineer? They can tell you exactly how much deltaV a craft has. You'd need to start the gravity turn once you are out of the thickest part of the atmosphere, like everywhere I guess.

The surface gravity is 1,7G, so (I think) You'd need a minimum TWR of 1,7 on Kerbin, to be good on Eve (note that that is a guess. I'm not sure about this).

Kerbal Engineer could tell you the TWR on all bodys, not just Kerbin I believe.

Note that none of this is experience. I'm just thinking along with you

Chutes on a girder on a radial decoupler. Good one, I'll have to remember that

Also note how I have SAS modules on the outer stage. Provides enough torque to orient the craft during take off, then gets released early. The earlier one rids excess weight, the less it effects DV.

Also note how I have SAS modules on the outer stage. Provides enough torque to orient the craft during take off, then gets released early. The earlier one rids excess weight, the less it effects DV.

I trying my first Eve return, could you share that ascent craft for a closer look?

Good design, thanks for sharing these. I was going with bigger engines and the pod on the top was attached to solid booster.

NEVER put a solid booster on anything but the first stage. They are horribly inefficient, only usefull to help get off the ground

Judging from the 2.5 TWR .. yes. :D

See Dealt-V Stats in MJ window on the lower right.

it worked, had over 1000 m/s spare from 6500 meter attitude. The thing is overkill it was designed in 0.21 where the 48-7S had 20 KN trust instead of 30 in 0.22

yes I messed up I wanted to store the eva report from high in Eve atmosphere before circulating, to do this I had to leave the seat and store it in the container on top from an mod. Was thrown out of seat and used time getting back so I just sit down and told mechjeb to circulate, however sitting down in an rover seat changes con troll from here so i burned downward and had to use the rest of the fuel correcting.

I would recomend making this with 6+1 aspargus with 90 liter tanks, as this design has to much trust.

The problem I'm having is finding the right amount of fuel and thrust required to get into orbit.

So what would be the perfect gravity turn for Eve?

How much fuel would I need to land in order to achieve orbit again?

Download the "Engineer Redux" plugin. That will allow you to check how much delta v you can squeeze out of the craft you're building. Then use this graph to see if it's going to be enough ;)agkhAKG.png

You can use this website to calculate the optimal moment for interception ;)http://ksp.olex.biz/

How would that stop you from checking the deltaV stats in the screenshot?

I don't use those stats for anything. I understand m/s, altitude, and the fuel gauge. I've used those small engines on landers, but never in that way before so I just wanted to know if it worked on Eve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.