Can you see duna from kerbin?

montyben101

Planet are rendered all the time, so if you have good enough eyes, yes you can see Duna and all other celestial bodies from anywhere at anytime (providing you look at the good direction).

Telescope mods or camera with big zoom will help you a lot to see them.

I myself have never seen Duna from Kerbin, but there is a stock technique you can try: Get the MK1 Cockpit or (preferably) the Cupola, set Duna as your target, and point straight at Duna using the nav-ball. Following this, go into IVA and zoom in the camera, looking straight ahead (you can zoom even more by clicking in the middle mouse button).

Like I said, I haven't tried to find Duna, but I have spotted Jool from Kerbin orbit using this method. It was a very intermittent pixel, but it was there. Hopefully, if you decide to try, you'll have some luck :)

In stock game you can see most of the planets, Ive seen Eve and Jool from Kerbin ground, so Duna should be visible too. It's not visible at all times thou so you should to be as close as possible to it. (A little counter intuitive for an astronomer as in KSP we don't need the sunlight to reflect off the planet we are observing.)

edit: yes, Duna is visible, it requires maximum zoom thou (max mousewheel zoom+middle mosue button) double clicking on window in IVA helps also a little. The only nice planet to observe is Eve thou as it's more than 2-3 pixels wide :)

Edited by Nao

You can see every planet if you know where to look. They are extremely tiny...

The other day I was going to Duna and looked out the window at a few million km in altitude and saw Duna and Ike. I went to cockpit view and zoomed all the way in to take a peek and saw a twinkling little spec between the two. And that little spec of a pixel is actually Kerbin. Amazing how they lined up like that lol. Verified in map view that kerbin was what I was seeing.

Click to get full res and zoom in, you can see the pixel has a bluish tint to it.

p3ln.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.