(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

I just finished my Level 1 Sub-Challenge mission at 5.822 tonnes. It has taken an insane amount of planning and flying over the past two weeks. A full album is in the works, but for now, I'll just post a pic of the little beast on the launch pad.

XUqEsUd.jpg

I just finished my Level 1 Sub-Challenge mission at 5.822 tonnes. It has taken an insane amount of planning and flying over the past two weeks. A full album is in the works, but for now, I'll just post a pic of the little beast on the launch pad.

http://i.imgur.com/XUqEsUd.jpg

dammit, you beat me to it. I have been building a similar ship based on your other ventures on Reddit...Grats :)

You what!?!?! 5.822 !?! Geez Louise! Amazing!

Hah, that's probably less than one of my empty fuel tanks!

Edited by SSSPutnik

i am thinking of redoing this challenge for JEBEDIAH'S LEVEL + GRAND TOUR is there a limit for the crew? i see at Himynameisjake log that he uses 3 Kerbals (obviously one for landing and two for the science lab)

http://i.imgur.com/XUqEsUd.jpg

FUUUCK, I almost launched my less than 8 tons version... and you have already beaten me! It was always like this for me in the sub-level challenge... :huh::D

Congratulations, show us the pictures and i'll update the Hall of Fame!!

Edited by Ziv

i am thinking of redoing this challenge for JEBEDIAH'S LEVEL + GRAND TOUR is there a limit for the crew? i see at Himynameisjake log that he uses 3 Kerbals (obviously one for landing and two for the science lab)

It's a Jebediah's Level with landing a Kerbal on all the other bodies too. So you have to bring at least five Kerbals, one for each Jool moon.

Himynameisjake brought five Kerbals, but the two in the Science Lab doesn't show on the right bottom while they are in the Lab. His landings:

Tylo - Bob

Laythe - Jebediah

Vall - Bill

Bop - Sheply (basicly Science Lab crew)

Pol - Ermin (basicly Science Lab crew)

FUUUCK, I almost launched my less than 8 tons version... and you have already beaten me! It was always like this for me in the sub-level challenge... :huh::D

Congratulations, show us the pictures and i'll update the Hall of Fame!!

Eight tonnes is very, very good. Just getting in that ballpark is amazing.

Really awesome planning and execution but I cannot track the dV's and fuel consumption correctly if there are no information on the screen... can you please add informative screens to for all the main phases? And also with mission duration time?

(I'm going to add this to the rules because this is very important to track a mission to see if it was really done without cheating and without adding HyperEdit testing screens after each other...)

That's reasonable, although if someone really wants to cheat they will find a way. I took over 200 screenshots and also kept an Excel file with all of my development process and actual burns documented. I will upload everything later this evening. I didn't cheat, unless F5/F9 second chances count. :)

That's reasonable, although if someone really wants to cheat they will find a way. I took over 200 screenshots and also kept an Excel file with all of my development process and actual burns documented. I will upload everything later this evening. I didn't cheat, unless F5/F9 second chances count. :)

Yeah, I know you are a pro player so I know you are capable of doing this mission. Even landing on Tylo and getting back to orbit with a ship which has 4400 m/s DeltaV (with the Kerbal in the seat). :D My current lowmass Tylo lander has 4500 m/s because that's my best so far (and it is 0.2 tons heavier than yours :) ). With about 2130 m/s orbital speed at 10km the theoretical minimum is somewhere 4300 because at the last seconds you will "waste" some when turning vertical...

So, where I lost the tracking in your mission is with the Xenon fuel/dV, especially when tugging something. In my design I went on with some spare xenon fuel just for sure, because the current best was 31 tons so I was thinking that some 0.12 tons doesn't count much, and it will be less than 8 tons already which is far better than 31... :cool:

But you have shown that every 0.05 tons counts too! :D

So, where I lost the tracking in your mission is with the Xenon fuel/dV, especially when tugging something. In my design I went on with some spare xenon fuel just for sure, because the current best was 31 tons so I was thinking that some 0.12 tons doesn't count much, and it will be less than 8 tons already which is far better than 31... :cool:

Yup, there was some pretty intense planning going on here. I have no aerospace background, so this is probably quite primitive, but I will share my Excel planning file for review. Beware that this is the work of a crazy person, and I cannot support or even explain everything in there.

But you have shown that every 0.05 tons counts too! :D

Especially if it's on the top stage. :)

Here's an album that I will call "The B List." It is all the screenshots I took that contain information to help elucidate how this mission was accomplished. It's long, and the pretty screenshots have all been culled to make room for the informative ones. :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I will be offline for awhile starting tomorrow morning, so you guys take care and I'll follow up when possible.

Looks like a really pro mission. Especially how you planned the slingshots to minimise dV on Kerbin>Jool and Jool>Kerbin transfers. And landing on Tylo with 4500 dV for which I need 6000 :) Also, did you perform all dockings using Yellow Jacket's ion only, without RCS?

Edited by 8MMW

Hope you don't ask for too many deltaV shots for my current mission. Even I am not sure how much I have due to staging on the main craft, (my staging is a mess) and tank arrangements. In any case, I *arrived* at Jool with over 10,000dV remaining in main ship, with all landers fully fuelled still. It's Kethane mission too so I should be topping up. I was carrying around 800t+ of fuel.

But to do this, my TWR was so low, it took 10 hours real time burn to do the Kerbin->Jool main burn (about 2000ms burn), after leaving Kerbin SoI.

I'll definitely show lander dVs / rendezvous.

Edited by SSSPutnik

Yup, there was some pretty intense planning going on here. I have no aerospace background, so this is probably quite primitive, but I will share my Excel planning file for review. Beware that this is the work of a crazy person, and I cannot support or even explain everything in there.

Especially if it's on the top stage. :)

Here's an album that I will call "The B List." It is all the screenshots I took that contain information to help elucidate how this mission was accomplished. It's long, and the pretty screenshots have all been culled to make room for the informative ones. :)

http://imgur.com/a/8SRPr

I will be offline for awhile starting tomorrow morning, so you guys take care and I'll follow up when possible.

chicknblender: Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 Level 1 sub-Challenge with an incredible 5.822 TONS and that made you faaar the best in the minimal-weight category!!!

Thank you for the details, that helped me to understand your mission. You really did a lot of math and everything is very well planned and on the edge. Awesome! And I love this picture!

I'm finishing up the last touches on my ship and I have found a solution what you could have used too and that could save you an other 0.1 tons but don't want to share it right now because that will be a funny thing so I prefer to show it in my mission log rather than just saying it. :cool: But otherwise I can't challenge you, especially because I don't want to spend time with gravity assists... (I don't have much time to play KSP nowadays :( ). But I'm planning to bring a very strong second place!! :)

Thank you for your participating, this mission is really a mind-blowing one! Respect!

Edited by Ziv

Aaw, I was getting comfy in that first place - Congratulations!!! :D

I want to mention though that in 23.5, the enigines were nerfed considerably - an ion lander for Vall was not possible with the old engines ...

Yeah, I had it in mind to indicate version number but I forgot at the end. Fixed! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.