(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

These low mass entries are making me feel over done, but if it's worth doing... It's worth overdoing.

ANYways, i will be attempting the kethane version soon, but not to soon because...

I have been inspired by this challenge, knowing how much fun it was. I downloaded the real solar system with planet factory planets, but 1/10 ish downscaled to be stockalike.

Now i'm planning a Jupiter-4 mission. To Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.

(p.s. : i'm going with a life support mod :P )

I know that this has nothing to do with the challenge, but i just wanted to say : Thanks for the awesome mission and inspiration.

Minimalist challenge completed! 50.969 tonnes.

I made 3 major mistakes:

1.) I misread the mass for the current leader, thus ended up .050 tonnes heavier than the leader (didn't realize it until half way through the mission). A little frustrating since I could have easily been less given:

2.) I brought waaaaayyyyy too much fuel. I had at least 4 tonnes too much.

3.) I forgot solar panels on my last stage. This forced me to keep my last lander attached, which could have been used for more landings (as it was it was just dead weight the entire trip).

Mods: MechJeb (only used for checking delta v stats)

Landing order: Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Bop, Pol, Duna (had to do something with all that extra fuel!)

Unique features: Separate lander for each moon, no RCS or docking ports

For landers, I used a command chair with a small probe to provide SAS. Since the lander weight consisted mostly of fuel, I decided against a reusable lander in favor of separate ones. This eliminated any need for RCS or docking ports. I don't know if it actually saved weight overall but it was certainly easier to not have to dock after each landing. It also allowed me to fine tune the delta V of each lander for the specific landing. My Tylo lander in particular was nice - good TWR on the landing stage made the landing very easy. The ascent stage was minimal and had plenty of delta V. My Laythe lander was actually the worst. I didn't use a parachute and my lander wanted to tip over. Fortunately I happened to land on a high spot at 3500m because I didn't quite make orbit during takeoff. Jebediah had to jetpack it to make it back to the main ship.

With so much extra fuel I decided to land on Duna on the way back. It took me a whole bunch of quick loads to get the landing right (I landed a very tall ship that rested directly on my nuclear engine). Eventually got it though. I returned to Kerbin with over 900 delta V still in the tanks. I could easily have landed on Minmus with the right aerocapture maneuver, but I was growing tired of it at that point so I just landed.

Given how this mission went, I think a 45 tonne ship is possible.......not sure I have the patience to give it another go though. It was a good challenge though and I learned quite a bit about making efficient transfers.

http://imgur.com/a/I1LU2

dualmaster: Congratulation for finishing the JOOL-5 mission with a 50.969 tons ship! Pretty nice job, especially that you went to Duna too. :D

I really like your idea about the separate landers. I doubted your Laythe landing a little bit without parachutes and with such a small lander so I simulated it. I had some problem (ship turning upside down during aerobraking even at low altitudes, etc) and with a very optimal ascent path it was hard to ascent+EVA the Kerbal to orbit. But it is possible so great job!

Yeah, I had the same problems with the solar panels when going on a minimal mission. :) Haha, your Duna landing with a lander on the side looks hilarious! :D

Pretty cool, I'm sorry that I rounded the weights in the list, I thought fractions of a ton will not count...

BTW I'm working on my minimal mission too, I already interrupted about 2-3 versions. One was almost done with 38 tons... but I run out of fuel before Pol. But I had new ideas since so I'm planning my new version again. :)

These low mass entries are making me feel over done, but if it's worth doing... It's worth overdoing.

ANYways, i will be attempting the kethane version soon, but not to soon because...

I have been inspired by this challenge, knowing how much fun it was. I downloaded the real solar system with planet factory planets, but 1/10 ish downscaled to be stockalike.

Now i'm planning a Jupiter-4 mission. To Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.

(p.s. : i'm going with a life support mod :P )

I know that this has nothing to do with the challenge, but i just wanted to say : Thanks for the awesome mission and inspiration.

I thank you. :) Yeah, I totally understand, nowadays I'm playing with the Urania planets with Kethane... I'm doing a big expedition, those planets/moons are awesome! (maybe I sent some people there now from here but for experienced players Urania is a big challenge! :) )

After seeing Mesklin's and sdj64's entries I had to have another go in this myself.

37.242 Tonnes on the launchpad :cool:

This gave me a chance to try out a big gravity assist I've worked out for a grand tour I want to try, so this minimal challenge has been great practice! So Jeb visited the SOI's of: Kerbin, Eve, Kerbin, Kerbin, Jool, Tylo, Bop, Pol, Laythe, Val, Kerbin....

This is as far as you can go using a lander can as your main vehicle, though someone prove me wrong! Using command chairs I'm pretty sure this can be knocked down at least another six or seven tonnes just using a command chair as a lander. Then with one less jet and less fuel for the ascent and transfer another couple of tonnes less again? So under thirty tonnes...

Anyway awesome fun, am I a masochist for thinking about a minimal Jeb level entry after this? :)

Here are some pics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Anyway awesome fun, am I a masochist for thinking about a minimal Jeb level entry after this? :)

Nooo please! I am planning masochist jeb level entry. It will be posted tomorrow.(Edit)It is impossible to start in one piece. Weak computer. Will be multiple launches. I thought that it is simplest part - put ship to kerbin orbit. But after I planned and tested everything else(including launch similar mass ship with significantly reduced part count)i realized that i cannot start with SSTO-one-launch-craft even with TimeControl mod. So now major reconfiguring the mission. Again.

I have performed similar Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin-Kerbin gravity assist to get to jool(Eve burn in UT=27400000()). And will use Tylo magic to fly back.

P.S. Nice job

Edited by SV-ESK

I really like your idea about the separate landers. I doubted your Laythe landing a little bit without parachutes and with such a small lander so I simulated it. I had some problem (ship turning upside down during aerobraking even at low altitudes, etc) and with a very optimal ascent path it was hard to ascent+EVA the Kerbal to orbit. But it is possible so great job!

Pretty cool, I'm sorry that I rounded the weights in the list, I thought fractions of a ton will not count...

The Laythe landing was the toughest for the reason you mention. I had to keep it pointed perfectly retrograde during the landing to avoid it flipping over. My first attempt at an ascent left me well short of an orbit so I reloaded and improved on the ascent profile and got pretty close to orbit before ditching it.

And the rounding wasn't a problem - I simply misread it!

Ziv, I am about to leave for Jool when I noticed that you said that the science lab needs to land back on Kerbin. However I've designed the Lab into my reusable mothership not intended to land on Kerbin. Can I transfer the science from the Lab to a pod and bring it back that way instead?

Ziv, I am about to leave for Jool when I noticed that you said that the science lab needs to land back on Kerbin. However I've designed the Lab into my reusable mothership not intended to land on Kerbin. Can I transfer the science from the Lab to a pod and bring it back that way instead?

Hi, at first for Jeb's Level it was mandatory to bring back all the science instruments to the Kerbin's surface (it was not possible to bring back everything in a pod yet). That required a very well planning of the return ship and needed a lot of parts. It could make some people's machine lagging so when the Lab appeared I gave the chance to change those parts into one Mobile Lab for returning. It still needs some planning but easier already. So if I would let all the science stuff bringing back in a Pod only that wouldn't be fair for those who already did it in the hardest way. And Jeb's Level is about being one of the hardest mission for the (about)stock game which is a big achievement when done.

So sorry, at least a Mobile Lab is required bringing back!

That's... problematic for my mission. :( The ship is designed for the lab to remain in orbit (no way to land it!), and the Kerbals will bring SCIENCE back to the surface of Kerbin in pods.

Indeed, has anyone landed the actual lab yet?

EDIT: I just looked over the current Jebediah-level completions, and everyone has done the same. Return Kerbals to the surface, but not the actual science lab.

Edited by zeppelinmage

After seeing Mesklin's and sdj64's entries I had to have another go in this myself.

37.242 Tonnes on the launchpad :cool:

This gave me a chance to try out a big gravity assist I've worked out for a grand tour I want to try, so this minimal challenge has been great practice! So Jeb visited the SOI's of: Kerbin, Eve, Kerbin, Kerbin, Jool, Tylo, Bop, Pol, Laythe, Val, Kerbin....

This is as far as you can go using a lander can as your main vehicle, though someone prove me wrong! Using command chairs I'm pretty sure this can be knocked down at least another six or seven tonnes just using a command chair as a lander. Then with one less jet and less fuel for the ascent and transfer another couple of tonnes less again? So under thirty tonnes...

Here are some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/T2uaG

immelman: Congratulation, you lead the low-mass leaderboard now with 37.242 tons! Awesome! And by the way I almost started my 38.5 tons mission (with a Command Seat lander) so you made me rethink it now. :P:D I used 4 Jet Engines too, and I see you used normal fuel tanks too without Oxidizer. ;) Really nice job with the gravity assists, the different "fuel stations" and the special order of landings!

Hi, at first for Jeb's Level it was mandatory to bring back all the science instruments to the Kerbin's surface (it was not possible to bring back everything in a pod yet). That required a very well planning of the return ship and needed a lot of parts. It could make some people's machine lagging so when the Lab appeared I gave the chance to change those parts into one Mobile Lab for returning. It still needs some planning but easier already. So if I would let all the science stuff bringing back in a Pod only that wouldn't be fair for those who already did it in the hardest way. And Jeb's Level is about being one of the hardest mission for the (about)stock game which is a big achievement when done.

I am now planning a mission to dock dozens of parachutes to my mothership so I can bring it down. May I suggest that the Jeb level instead require more science to add difficulty. For example samples from: High orbit, near orbit, high atmos, low atmos, and surface for all moons and Jool as applicable.

That's... problematic for my mission. :( The ship is designed for the lab to remain in orbit (no way to land it!), and the Kerbals will bring SCIENCE back to the surface of Kerbin in pods.

Indeed, has anyone landed the actual lab yet?

EDIT: I just looked over the current Jebediah-level completions, and everyone has done the same. Return Kerbals to the surface, but not the actual science lab.

Hm, nobody used the Mobile Lab version yet who finished the mission... but everybody brought back all the Science Units which is harder to done (more logistics during the mission).

Hm, but this rule was not really clear until some days ago and I don't want you to feel bad and end your mission so I suggest you to use KAS and send a ship with a lot of Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute on it's side, EVA a Kerbonaut and put them on your ship. :)

Edited by Ziv

I am now planning a mission to dock dozens of parachutes to my mothership so I can bring it down. May I suggest that the Jeb level instead require more science to add difficulty. For example samples from: High orbit, near orbit, high atmos, low atmos, and surface for all moons and Jool as applicable.

Generally I made the rule only for the surface because this needs 5x5 science parts already. Forcing the use of 3 GOO, 3 SC-9001, etc (5 for Laythe) would mean more than 75 parts which could lead to lag for some people. And it was created before 0.23 when there was no Mobile Lab or science stuff transfer. So bringing more Scientific Unit is a way as one can be better than others within the Level, but this is not mandatory. :)

And bringing the Mobile Lab back is important because of the funding cut, too. You know. ;)

So, it will change my mission a bit... (I'll get to it this week, I hope...)

It's actually not a problem to bring it to Kerbin orbit (a proper aerobrake + some fuel in the lander to stabilize), but then... well, the lab is a separate module, so docking a descent stage to it shouldn't be too much of a problem, it shouldn't be too heavy for the large docking port. Anyway, the crew will be returning in their pods (that's why I took the second pod anyway) and recovering the lab shouldn't be too much of a problem

Hm, nobody used the Mobile Job version yet who finished the mission... but everybody brought back all the Science Units which is harder to done (more logistics during the mission).

Hm, but this rule was not really clear until some days ago and I don't want you to feel bad and end your mission so I suggest you to use KAS and send a ship with a lot of Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute on it's side, EVA a Kerbonaut and put them on your ship. :)

Ehhh, not really feasible. The lab is literally the core of my mothership. :huh: And I'd rather not install a mod just to complete the mission.

I wish I knew of this rule a month ago when I started this.... TBPH, I really don't like being limited by this rule when nobody has yet to return the lab, and it wasn't clear until my mission was very much under way.

I'm almost done, really. Should be able to knock out Bop and Pol over the next few days, then I'm coming back with Science. I'm submitting it as Jeb level (it was hard enough as it was), whether you score it as such... *shrug* it's your challenge.

Just thought: If budgeting is the issue, the mothership will end up parked in Kerbin orbit. The whole thing is completely reusable, just needs refueling and new landers. :wink:

Edited by zeppelinmage

Generally I made the rule only for the surface because this needs 5x5 science parts already. Forcing the use of 3 GOO, 3 SC-9001, etc (5 for Laythe) would mean more than 75 parts which could lead to lag for some people. And it was created before 0.23 when there was no Mobile Lab or science stuff transfer. So bringing more Scientific Unit is a way as one can be better than others within the Level, but this is not mandatory. :)

And bringing the Mobile Lab back is important because of the funding cut, too. You know. ;)

If one uses the Mobile Lab as intended, then fewer parts are needed to accomplish all science available. It would also be more cost efficient to leave the Lab in orbit for future missions.

Hi, thanks for the question, that's good that you asked that before going on the mission. I downloaded the FTmN engines and they look good, but they have a lot of advantage against the stock nukes, especially in fuel efficiency (fuel consumed for a given thrust), but their Isps are better too, have lower mass/thrust ratio, and they have 2.5x better vectoring ranges. And yeah, dealing with the number of parts is in the Challenge too, so this would give you too much advantage and wouldn't be fair with those who made it on stocks, so I can't allow it, sorry.

But they look pretty cool and if you want to use them anyway then go for it. If you finished the mission I will put your name in the Mixed Solutions! :)

If you will skip these engines the Habitat modules and the new orange tanks are accepted in the challenge. :)

Well, I knew approval wasn't a sure thing, which is why I checked before doing the build. I started with a clean career mode and I'm still researching the parts needed for the mission, the test article was built in a separate sandbox.

But fair enough; the Space Force will keep the stock LV-Ns for Jool, and we'll use the new bigger reactors for upgrades at the powerplants, and when the lights come back on we'll announce on TV that, um, it was a planned upgrade all along! Yeah. We totally built the nuclear-thermal rockets for the real purpose of making safe clean power for Kernada. (Psst. Hey, North Kerbia. We invested a lot in R&D and it didn't pay off. Let's talk.)

Back to the serious: I should probably pre-clear my whole mod list. I'm going pretty mod-heavy here, but I want to do a proper challenge more than I want to use most of these mods. The next most questionable part is also from the KSO pack, the current draft uses the shuttle's main and OMS engines. So the full list is:

• RemoteTech2_Release_1.3.3 (all unmanned craft will be properly remote controlled)
  • Kerbin_Shuttle_Orbiter_v112 (oh, there's an update...)
    • While KSO as provided is achingly beautiful, I will probably need the Low Resolution Texture Pack before I'm done.

[*]Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild

[*]SCANsat_b5

[*]6sSerCom_v1.1_byNothke (equpiment bays; if anything, it imposes a weight penalty for aesthetics)

[*]KAS_v0.4.5

[*]KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.0.0

[*]MechJeb2-2.1.1.01

[*]CrewManifest_v0_5_5_0

[*]TacFuelBalancer_2.3.0.2

[*]Home Grown Rocket Parts "Radish" 2-man Gemini-esque command pod

[*]Habitat Pack v0.3 inflatable habitats and "orbital orb" command pod

[*]Crowd-sourced science logs

[*]I will probably look into the current generation of memory solutions: Active Texture Management, Squad Texture Reduction Pack, etc

[*]If I use Kethane at all, it'll be to top up the ship at Minimus before departure and an extra sensor on mapping satellites. There will be no mining in the Jool system -- at least, not this trip.

Communications and mapping satellites will be sent on an earlier ship. That ship will be available as an emergency backup tanker in the Jool system, but it shouldn't be necessary, and the main ship will otherwise carry all mission equipment.

If any of this stretches the challenge, let me know so I can fix it before I start assembly. And with that... back to scienceing the Mün!

My thoughts, returning science lab to Kerbin orbit should be sufficient.

Good ruling on the nuke I think.

LLL has a massive nuke, (its 37.5 freaking tons). But its overpowered so I won't use it.

Crew Manifest, Remote Tech, KAS, Alarm Clock, TAC, ScanSAT, and Chatterer I don't see a problem with.

Ziv ruling is usually far and his challenege.

Having an issue with LLL nuke on my lander, they are more realistic in some ways and don't shut down instantly you turn them off, causing my lander to flip...

TBPH, I really don't like being limited by this rule when nobody has yet to return the lab, and it wasn't clear until my mission was very much under way.

Just thought: If budgeting is the issue, the mothership will end up parked in Kerbin orbit. The whole thing is completely reusable, just needs refueling and new landers.

If you brought five package of science instruments to all the Jool's moons individually, and if you land them back on Kerbin, then that will do too. If you did not, and you don't land the Lab neither then your mission was much more easier than the general Jeb's Level for all the others who already done it. So what would you do if you were me?

The main goal of this challenge is to have fun and I let refueling missions too to help those who run out of fuel. But there's a million way to do this, I couldn't think of everything in advance, and I have to draw a line somewhere which is needed to reach to be in the Hall of Fame, especially for the hardest version. Managing all the Science Modules for the different landings, and changing them on the lander, and bringing them back to Kerbin were the hardest part in Jeb's level, allowing the Lab with 0.23 made it already much more easier. Skipping this step too would be too much far away from the original difficulty, I think.

I know you already put a lot of effort into your mission and I don't want to ruin that so let's have a deal: if you land your Mobile Lab in one piece, even with lithobraking and breaking the main ship :D, your mission will be accepted for Jeb's Level (if all the other rules were met too). What do you think? :)

Well, I knew approval wasn't a sure thing, which is why I checked before doing the build. I started with a clean career mode and I'm still researching the parts needed for the mission, the test article was built in a separate sandbox.

But fair enough; the Space Force will keep the stock LV-Ns for Jool, and we'll use the new bigger reactors for upgrades at the powerplants, and when the lights come back on we'll announce on TV that, um, it was a planned upgrade all along! Yeah. We totally built the nuclear-thermal rockets for the real purpose of making safe clean power for Kernada. (Psst. Hey, North Kerbia. We invested a lot in R&D and it didn't pay off. Let's talk.)

Back to the serious: I should probably pre-clear my whole mod list. I'm going pretty mod-heavy here, but I want to do a proper challenge more than I want to use most of these mods. The next most questionable part is also from the KSO pack, the current draft uses the shuttle's main and OMS engines. So the full list is:

• RemoteTech2_Release_1.3.3 (all unmanned craft will be properly remote controlled)
  • Kerbin_Shuttle_Orbiter_v112 (oh, there's an update...)
    • While KSO as provided is achingly beautiful, I will probably need the Low Resolution Texture Pack before I'm done.

[*]Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild

[*]SCANsat_b5

[*]6sSerCom_v1.1_byNothke (equpiment bays; if anything, it imposes a weight penalty for aesthetics)

[*]KAS_v0.4.5

[*]KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.0.0

[*]MechJeb2-2.1.1.01

[*]CrewManifest_v0_5_5_0

[*]TacFuelBalancer_2.3.0.2

[*]Home Grown Rocket Parts "Radish" 2-man Gemini-esque command pod

[*]Habitat Pack v0.3 inflatable habitats and "orbital orb" command pod

[*]Crowd-sourced science logs

[*]I will probably look into the current generation of memory solutions: Active Texture Management, Squad Texture Reduction Pack, etc

[*]If I use Kethane at all, it'll be to top up the ship at Minimus before departure and an extra sensor on mapping satellites. There will be no mining in the Jool system -- at least, not this trip.

Communications and mapping satellites will be sent on an earlier ship. That ship will be available as an emergency backup tanker in the Jool system, but it shouldn't be necessary, and the main ship will otherwise carry all mission equipment.

If any of this stretches the challenge, let me know so I can fix it before I start assembly. And with that... back to scienceing the Mün!

OMG you give me a lot of work. :D Generally speaking for Level 1-2-3-Jeb only those mods are accepted which are balanced with the original stock parts in weight/thrust, thrust/fuel consumption, Isp, size, weight. Kethane is not allowed at all in the original missions. Also, for original and for Kethane versions too, everything has to go from Kerbin to Jool as one big ship.

Otherwise it could be an unlimited mission to Jool after each othe, which could be fun, but wouldn't be a challenge anymore. If somebody wants to do this it's possible and I will link it as 'Mixed Solutions' or 'Kethane Freestyle'. It is best to start a new thread for it, or sum the whole expedition in one post here.

Hm, nobody used the Mobile Lab version yet who finished the mission... but everybody brought back all the Science Units which is harder to done (more logistics during the mission).

Not sure why all the fuss about mobile labs. Did the rules change recently? I used the Mobile Lab more than a month ago (not for my low mass entry, but my original one), and it was accepted as Jeb level. If you look at my pictures, I sent the lab on the shuttle to crash on Tylo, so I could finish with zero debris left in orbit. If I kept the lab with my ship I probably would have had enough fuel to make it back home, but I still wouldn't be able to land the lab. I had a similar plan as Zeppelin, leaving my mothership in orbit at the end and landing the Kerbals and the science by storing it in the pods.

I did ask about it then, and you said it was okay.

If you brought five package of science instruments to all the Jool's moons individually, and if you land them back on Kerbin, then that will do too. If you did not, and you don't land the Lab neither then your mission was much more easier than the general Jeb's Level for all the others who already done it. So what would you do if you were me?

The main goal of this challenge is to have fun and I let refueling missions too to help those who run out of fuel. But there's a million way to do this, I couldn't think of everything in advance, and I have to draw a line somewhere which is needed to reach to be in the Hall of Fame, especially for the hardest version. Managing all the Science Modules for the different landings, and changing them on the lander, and bringing them back to Kerbin were the hardest part in Jeb's level, allowing the Lab with 0.23 made it already much more easier. Skipping this step too would be too much far away from the original difficulty, I think.

I know you already put a lot of effort into your mission and I don't want to ruin that so let's have a deal: if you land your Mobile Lab in one piece, even with lithobraking and breaking the main ship :D, your mission will be accepted for Jeb's Level (if all the other rules were met too). What do you think? :)

Completely destroying the ship just to return the lab to the surface is not very economical, especially compared with leaving it in orbit for future missions, no? :)

Honestly, the only difference between mine and what you propose is landing the actual lab. I'm bringing it back to Kerbin orbit, which costs quite a bit of fuel on it's own. How about this:

Due to budget concerns, Kerbin Command has asked for as much hardware as possible to be returned to Kerbin. It costs a lot to land and re-orbit hardware, so leaving it in Kerbin orbit for future use is sufficient, even preferred in many instances.

(note: I originally was just looking for labs in the Jeb submissions. I noticed now that everyone returned 5x instruments, which is where the difference lies.)

Ok, you know what, I just looked at my ship again, and I think I can separate the lab out and get it landed. It'll take another launch (despite the need to save $$), but I'm pretty sure I can do it. :)

What I'll do is this: I'll get the whole thing into Kerbin orbit, and land the Kerbals with their science. Then I'll look into separating out the lab and launching a recovery vehicle for it. If it works, I'll add that to the submission. If it doesn't, then it'll be your call, Ziv. :)

In the spirit of the challenge, I'll do my damnedest to fit the rules as stated. :)

zeppelinmage: okay, sounds good! :)

I'm sorry about this fuss, the introduction of the Mobile Lab confused the original challenge... I would just like to keep the difficulty level for Jeb's level. So it's all about the effort needed to achieve it. Putting the main ship into Kerbin orbit and land the crew/lab separately will definitely do it. :)

Edited by Ziv

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.