(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

Question for Ziv: Have you considered what you think is a fair budget just in case someone asks to hack the funds in?

I know the storyline says there's fund for one mission only but back then there was no real money in the game, so you can hack the money to any amount. :)

Yes, every landing has to include a walking on the surface.

Okay, thanks. I figured it out meanwhile :)

Edit: docked the revised lander to the mothership. Cor Serpentis is now complete and awaiting crew arrival...dis gun b gud.

Edited by Ravenchant

I know the storyline says there's fund for one mission only but back then there was no real money in the game, so you can hack the money to any amount. :)

It's like the heavens have parted and the word of God has been handed down xD

Thank You! I can now get this mission off the ground :D

I think there might be opportunity for a new sub-challenge here; something along the lines of 'distinction for using only the funds you've eant so far to fund the mission' or something... and least spent wins the sub-challene... would be interesting to see you recreate some of your minimalist ships to see how much they cost in Funds :wink:

EDIT: I have given myself a Million Funds, to bring my total up to 1.5 million to account for the contracts I've taken since the glitch occured... gonna have to see if I can repeat the glitch, but not until I've sorted this mission :)

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

I take it I could qualify for "Jeb" difficulty level in the new "science-sandbox"?

edit:

My rocket is ready. Lander tested on all targets, transfer drive (more than) successfully completed the trip, and now I made a lifter. All that is left is do everything again :]

SYMeZM3.jpg

It will take a few weeks until my entry is ready though xD

edit #2: nevermind my question! I have read the rules again and you already covered it.

Edited by Overfloater

Has anyone tried to use an ion glider on Laythe? They are very inefficient on Kerbin but on laythe they could be one lightest options for landing.

Only-ion lander or with a little first-stage normal rocket? Is it possible to make it all-ion? I didn't try. But I made a minimalistic almost Grand Tour mission, mostly with an ion lander...

Edit: I see you meant glider. Yeah, why not, go for it if you can do that! :) But don't ride the infiniglide-glitch please! ;)

Edit again: I have made a simulation and it is possible. It looks like it needs a lot of dV, my glider needs about 4500-6000 m/s worth of xenon gas to leave Laythe surface into a 80 km orbit.

Edited by Ziv

Hey Ziv, I don't know if you mentioned it before but since its not on your permitted/prohibited part mods list, what is your stance on TAC life support? Allow or disallow? What about for the Kethane challenge?

What is your stance on SCANSat? Allow or disallow? What about for the Kethane challenge?

Also, what about the new B9 aerospace pack and its absolutely massive HX parts and engines? Allow or disallow? What about for the Kethane challenge?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Stratzenblitz75

Hey Ziv, I don't know if you mentioned it before but since its not on your permitted/prohibited part mods list, what is your stance on TAC life support? Allow or disallow? What about for the Kethane challenge?

What is your stance on SCANSat? Allow or disallow? What about for the Kethane challenge?

Also, what about the new B9 aerospace pack and its absolutely massive HX parts and engines? Allow or disallow? What about for the Kethane challenge?

Thanks in advance

Ziv tends to stand on this challenge being difficult under any condition and success is a win in-and-of-itself.

If the mod makes the mission too easy he will politely reject it. However, anything that makes it more challenging is liable to simply earn you an additional honorable mention on top of the Kudos for completion ;)

Thanks in advance

parzr ix right, if the given mod makes the mission harder then it's allowed, so TAC life support is allowed. SCANSat doesn't really change anything so you can bring that if you like.

I'm not sure about the new massive parts at B9, I didn't try them yet so that's a good question. I guess it makes the launches easier, and makes the building of huge ships easier, so maybe I will not allow it. This challenge was started when the orange tanks and mainsails were the biggest parts and when there was no science lab, so the Lab and the big ARM already made it easier.

But otherwise I like the idea of huge moving interplanetary bases so if you would like to use those HX parts then you have to balance the hardness of the mission with additional goals or mods. But this should be a personal case every time, discussed with me before the mission! :)

parzr ix right, if the given mod makes the mission harder then it's allowed, so TAC life support is allowed. SCANSat doesn't really change anything so you can bring that if you like.

I'm not sure about the new massive parts at B9, I didn't try them yet so that's a good question. I guess it makes the launches easier, and makes the building of huge ships easier, so maybe I will not allow it. This challenge was started when the orange tanks and mainsails were the biggest parts and when there was no science lab, so the Lab and the big ARM already made it easier.

But otherwise I like the idea of huge moving interplanetary bases so if you would like to use those HX parts then you have to balance the hardness of the mission with additional goals or mods. But this should be a personal case every time, discussed with me before the mission! :)

If you need more than ARM to get it done, you're doing it wrong. See my GT for reference.

Thanks for clarification! I intend to use A LOT of mods for this mission. Some of which include: KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace, FAR, Deadly reentry, KAS, Kethane, LLL, SCANSat, TAC-LS, and possibly USI Kolonization System. Probably more to come in the future. I don't know if you're going to be okay with all these mods, but if not, that's fine. I originally wanted to do the Jool-5 Kethane Challenge but I think I'm just going to do the mission for personal enjoyment.

If you need more than ARM to get it done, you're doing it wrong. See my GT for reference.

I'm gonna need more than ARM parts for what I'm planning :D

I intend to use A LOT of mods for this mission. Some of which include: KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace, FAR, Deadly reentry, KAS, Kethane, LLL, SCANSat, TAC-LS, and possibly USI Kolonization System. Probably more to come in the future. I don't know if you're going to be okay with all these mods, but if not, that's fine. I originally wanted to do the Jool-5 Kethane Challenge but I think I'm just going to do the mission for personal enjoyment.

I'm gonna need more than ARM parts for what I'm planning :D

Yeah, that list contains some prohibited mods but as you are an absolutely pro player I'm sure there will be room for your mission report in the Hall of Fame. You and Himynameisjake has earned such respect with those Grand Tours which allows you to use prohibited mods too. :cool:

Yeah, that list contains some prohibited mods but as you are an absolutely pro player I'm sure there will be room for your mission report in the Hall of Fame. You and Himynameisjake has earned such respect with those Grand Tours which allows you to use prohibited mods too. :cool:

grumble grumble grumble... back to Anemoi

Hi i'd like to submit my entry:

309 parts at launch, and 1055 tons.

Different pilot for each of Jool's moons, and science was collected from the Jool system only.

(At Duna I didn't do "EVA report", as it may seem! I just cancelled it ("reset experiment"))

As a bonus I landed on Duna, Ike, Mun & Minmus, and also left no space junk :]

A mod has been used for adjusting the brightness of objects(ships & planets)

Plans:

Hyper edit has been used for testing the ships.

I came up with this lander, this was my key for entering this challenge.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I was trying to make it more stable, but nothing good came out so eventually I made it 2 times bigger, and added science equipment while i'm at it.

Then tested it with a transfer drive:

MPLQjIU.jpg

And it worked fine.

---

Craft file is available in my repository V V V

Nice lander:D

Okay, thanks everyone for your comments to my earlier plans. I'll try to make more efficient transfers but i'm not sure if i'm always willing to wait for the optimal window so i still give the main ship over 8k dv. (Do'h just noticed, should have aimed for over 9k, that would have been more epic)

This is the current state. Ready for departure. It needed 4 Launches. Has a crew container and a lab.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Doing the mission will take some time. I'll report back when it's done.

What is meant by "There's funding for one main ship only so all the crew, lander(s) and other stuff has to go to Jool as one big ship"?

I'm doing a Kerbol grand tour (single Launch), and I'm hoping that my kerbal and my Jool Equipment can arrive at Jool separately.

Otherwise, I can bring my kerbal back to Kerbin and dock the two together there and then go to Jool.

I made the same question a few months ago, the crew + Jool landers have to go to Jool in one ship, for the rest of the planets you can send separate ships if you wish, but it is my belief that they all need to be connected at Kerbin orbit at the start of the challenge

As much as I appreciate this, I don't think its fair to allow me to use prohibited mods if other people can't. I mean, I don't want to set a precedent for rule bending, I like how you keep your rules strict. Although, In the end, I'll just let you decide if my mission is acceptable or not when I'm finished.

Would this mod be allowed?

I don't see anything particularly overpowered or advanced in there... He might allow it but I wouldn't count on it.

What is meant by "There's funding for one main ship only so all the crew, lander(s) and other stuff has to go to Jool as one big ship"?

I'm doing a Kerbol grand tour (single Launch), and I'm hoping that my kerbal and my Jool Equipment can arrive at Jool separately.

Otherwise, I can bring my kerbal back to Kerbin and dock the two together there and then go to Jool.

Basically, everything you intend to use for the challenge (landers, crew, ect.) must leave Kerbin's SOI in one ship. So, you aren't allowed to send your Jool equipment and your Kerbal off in separate ways, you must send them together. (At least, that's what I interpreted)

Would this mod be allowed?

There's already a lot of mods allowed and some of them made this challenge even more easier (after the huge ARM rockets and the stronger ion). So sorry, but I don't want to allow more mods.

This rule is for avoiding missions where one or more lander or ship part is sent to Jool later, separately. That way it would be easy to correct mission planning errors but a good planning is part of the challenge too (so it should be treated like a real life mission, in real life you cannot send additional stuff to an already launched mission).

If you want to do a Grand Tour then it's only the JOOL-5 ship which has to go to Jool on it's own. The important thing is that your Jool-ship has to be able to go from Kerbin to Jool, land on all moons and go back on it's own.

Edited by Ziv

Has my entry from previous page been disqualified? > . >

Or is my noobish attempt just so darn laughable compared to all your fancy pants' 5 ton grand-tours? 8-]

Not at all, I just have to find half an hour free time to check your mission (and the other one too :) ).

As much as I appreciate this, I don't think its fair to allow me to use prohibited mods if other people can't. I mean, I don't want to set a precedent for rule bending, I like how you keep your rules strict. Although, In the end, I'll just let you decide if my mission is acceptable or not when I'm finished.

Having just noticed this, I second it. I like the challenge the way it is.

Hell, I know that the Anemoi Project I'm putting together is going to get the dubious "mixed solutions" title. I considered revamping my ship around that notion, but I rather enjoyed sending a big gargantuan shuttle all over the system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.