[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

Is it just my installation, or are LF only tanks broken? I switch fuel types to LF only, and in the VAB the tooltip tells me that the tank contains way less liquid fuel than if it's an LF/OX tank. When I launch, the tank turns LF/OX and contains less than it should, too.

Hey, great mod!

But both of the solid boosters are broken for me in .23, but only in career-mode?! They can only stretch very little in width, height works fine though. They work fine in sandbox-mode.

Tested with only this mod installed and a brand new career.

Hey, great mod!

But both of the solid boosters are broken for me in .23, but only in career-mode?! They can only stretch very little in width, height works fine though. They work fine in sandbox-mode.

Tested with only this mod installed and a brand new career.

I don't play Career, but I think you have to unlock greater width/height limits in later tech nodes.

planeguy868: note that most of the textures aren't in MBM. Just create a new square texture (png?) to use as the tank sides, optionally create a new one for the ends, and read the documentation in STTextures.cfg for how to add your new textureset to the game. Then post it on here so we can all use it! :)

ola: the first is by design: AncientGammoner decided that LF-only tanks should use the same fuel-per-volume as the spaceplane fuselage LiquidFuel tanks. That's why they contain less. The second is a bug that I have fixed; I'm trying to fix the SRB nozzle issue too before releasing v8.1 but for now you can read a page or two back and download my replacement DLL.

planeguy868: note that most of the textures aren't in MBM. Just create a new square texture (png?) to use as the tank sides, optionally create a new one for the ends, and read the documentation in STTextures.cfg for how to add your new textureset to the game. Then post it on here so we can all use it! :)

ola: the first is by design: AncientGammoner decided that LF-only tanks should use the same fuel-per-volume as the spaceplane fuselage LiquidFuel tanks. That's why they contain less. The second is a bug that I have fixed; I'm trying to fix the SRB nozzle issue too before releasing v8.1 but for now you can read a page or two back and download my replacement DLL.

Realized that, thanks!

Hmmmm, what to make...

ola: the first is by design: AncientGammoner decided that LF-only tanks should use the same fuel-per-volume as the spaceplane fuselage LiquidFuel tanks. That's why they contain less.

Might be a good idea to change that now... People use LF only tanks for KSP Interstellar thermal rockets all the time, and mass ratios are important.

Alright, here's a texture I threw together.

Sort of like the orange/yellowish striped Titan SRBs.

Zsq4zeY.png

TitanSide
{
// by Planeguy868
sides
{
texture = StretchyTanks/Parts/titanside
uScale = 2
vScale = 1
autoScale = true
autoWidthDivide = true
autoHeightSteps = 0.5
}
ends
{
texture = StretchyTanks/Parts/ends
}
}

Edit: And a second, based off the Ares V's 2nd stage tank.

6uSoyXC.png

AresSides
{
// by Planeguy868
sides
{
texture = StretchyTanks/Parts/aressides
bump = StretchyTanks/Parts/stocksidenormal
uScale = 2
vScale = 1
}
ends
{
}

Name the first one "titanside.png", and the second "aressides.png".

Edited by planeguy868

Alright, here's a texture I threw together.

Sort of like the orange/yellowish striped Titan SRBs.

Cool! Can you do me a favor?

Change the code to

@STRETCHYTANKTEXTURES[Default]
{
TitanSide
{
// by Planeguy868
sides
{
texture = Planeguy868/titanside
uScale = 2
vScale = 1
autoScale = true
autoWidthDivide = true
autoHeightSteps = 0.5
}
ends
{
}
}
}

Put that in a file named (well, whatever you want, but how about) TitanSide.cfg and then put it and the texture in a folder called Planeguy868 (well, whatever you want. Just also change the reference in the code above). Also add a readme with your license and something like "Requires StretchySRB. Place this folder in ksp/GameData"

Then compress that folder to a zip (i.e. the root of the zip contains the folder Planeguy868 and inside that are the files) and post the link, and I'll put it on the OP (with preview) for people to download.

Cool! Can you do me a favor?

Change the code to

@STRETCHYTANKTEXTURES[Default]
{
TitanSide
{
// by Planeguy868
sides
{
texture = Planeguy868/titanside
uScale = 2
vScale = 1
autoScale = true
autoWidthDivide = true
autoHeightSteps = 0.5
}
ends
{
}
}
}

Put that in a file named (well, whatever you want, but how about) TitanSide.cfg and then put it and the texture in a folder called Planeguy868 (well, whatever you want. Just also change the reference in the code above). Also add a readme with your license and something like "Requires StretchySRB. Place this folder in ksp/GameData"

Then compress that folder to a zip (i.e. the root of the zip contains the folder Planeguy868 and inside that are the files) and post the link, and I'll put it on the OP (with preview) for people to download.

Done and done!

http://www./download/gz8f35398bs7a14/planeguy868.zip

Oh god, I did a ton of custom textures for Rigs of Rods, back before BeamNG came out... I can sense that same feeling coming again.

Edited by planeguy868

Heh, yup, that's how it starts :)

Two last little issues: (1) can you put the readme in the folder, and add install instructions to the readme (i.e. "extract this folder to ksp/GameData/")

(2) can you select a license, and say what it is in the readme? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44738-License-Selection-Guide (*all* KSP mods need licenses).

Sorry, should have checked the thread more, I tried to check previous posts but my three kids got in the way... :blush:

Heh, yup, that's how it starts :)

Two last little issues: (1) can you put the readme in the folder, and add install instructions to the readme (i.e. "extract this folder to ksp/GameData/")

(2) can you select a license, and say what it is in the readme? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44738-License-Selection-Guide (*all* KSP mods need licenses).

What exactly would be the install instructions?

In all seriousness, if you want to just download the zip, edit the readme to say what it should, then reupload the file and post that link, I'm fine with it.

Sorry, I'm a moron, never did any official readmes for my RoR textures.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants them, I can put the links up. I also did some minor modeling for small dohickeys and things to place on cars.

EDIT: Updated link: Here

Slightly changed the Titan texture, hopefully did the ReadMe right this time.

Edited by planeguy868

I don't play Career, but I think you have to unlock greater width/height limits in later tech nodes.

It looks really strange, and it worked in 0.22. There's only 2 set of SRB's. And none at later tech nodes :/

The SRB's are extremely small in width. It's the same with the superstretchy tank. I can't make them big in career mode.

:(

katalex-3: what other mods are you using?

Hello,

I reinstall KSP, added Stretchytanks V8, only KSP+ST8. I observation problem with stretch fuel tank. . My friend asked me about it also. Problem only with solid fuel.

Just i inserted solid fuel without changes, add pods. And I see black lanch.

Edited by katalex-3

hippomormor: the maximum stretch width is technode-dependent. After you research more rocketry nodes, try placing them in the VAB again and stretching them wider.

katalex-3: There is a Known Issue (as posted at the top of the OP) about the sea-level stretchy SRB nozzle. Until Tiberion and I work out a fix, use the workaround mentioned.

planeguy868: Cool! Will add to OP.

It offers pressurized tankage (if you're using an O-class engine, use this; combined, you can ignore ullage issues), it allows ElectricCharge to be placed in it, and it masses more (and holds less) than the equivalent regular tank. It is, however, as insulated as a cryo tank.

NOTE: Other than holding less, you need Real Fuels to experience these differences.

It offers pressurized tankage (if you're using an O-class engine, use this; combined, you can ignore ullage issues), it allows ElectricCharge to be placed in it, and it masses more (and holds less) than the equivalent regular tank. It is, however, as insulated as a cryo tank.

NOTE: Other than holding less, you need Real Fuels to experience these differences.

Woah, I had no idea that RF simulated ullage problems. Does that mean that engines may not ignite sometimes when using a regular tank in micro-G? Oddly, I have never experienced this issue before.

Perhaps an example would help: when would you suggest using a balloon tank vs. a service module tank?

Baloon tank - upper stages, small lower stages that mount no boosters. Use this when you do not need to have anything radially attached to the tank.

Service module - orbital stages where you need to be able to re-start the engine as many times as possible.