[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

You are right that maybe it should work, I guess. But why exactly would you want to do that? if you can have the tank contain whatever fuel you want by pressing 'g' and the quantity you want by stretching it 'r'. I'm curious :P

Edited by AbeS

You are right that maybe it should work, I guess. But why exactly would you want to do that? if you can have the tank contain whatever fuel you want by pressing 'g' and the quantity you want by stretching it 'r'. I'm curious :P

While it may seem odd to want to be able to set the fuel level on already customizable tanks I can think of a few uses for it. For example, lets say you need to send up a large fuel tank for an interplanetary ship you're building in orbit. It's obviously going to be a lot easier to send up empty than full, and then you can fuel it once in orbit. Also very useful for Kethane mining.

Also, Nathan, I know this is something you were working on awhile ago, but are you still planning on having customizable thrust curves for stretchy SRB's? It would help a lot for NASA style shuttles.

Right. I'll also need the SRB thrust curve for a number of things, including SSRBs and all those ATK solids CluelessModeler is making. I'm not sure if HoneyFox's plugin still works, but it may not.

Because I need the tanks to be a certain length but I don't want them to be completely full

If you had MFS you wouldn't have that issue, I bet that's why Nathan didn't find that bug. I bet it should be an easy fix, wait for him to read your post :) (or download MFS it is awesome!)

OK, I'll check why it's not respecting tweakables.

AbeS is right that since I only ever use RF, I don't notice how stretchies work without it <blush>

Hey, at least in v8 stretchies still *work* without MFT or RF...oy.

I don't really understand what the difference is between a lot of these tanks. Particularly the super-stretchable, some of them have higher fuel density, but that's the only really obvious difference. I get the impression that most of these alternates were designed only for RealFuels / MFS?

Edited by Frostiken

Regular stretchies have fixed radii; I believe the main intent there is to be able to ensure that the tank is a given width exactly / limit use in career mode.

The difference between regular super-stretchies and cryo-super-stretchies isn't relevant without RealFuels; the cryo tank is just better mass-wise for LH2 + LOX since the entire thing is insulated to prevent boiloff. So you can ignore those.

The difference between balloon super stretchies and the regular super stretchies is that the balloon stretchies aremuch weaker; they'll break easier and can't handle stuff being radially attached to them, but you'll get a better structure ratio out of the booster.

The service module stretchy is more intended to provide the pressurized tanks needed to restart engines that would be needed for a space tug or OMS on a spacecraft, and so it's less efficient mass-wise, but it does allow you to use some of the space for internal batteries, so that's nice.

They have uses outside of RealFuels, but they're somewhat limited in that regard.

I think it would be useful to add that to the OP (information about what the mod has to offer), like the RF thread explains almost everything so people don't have to ask the same things over and over again.

Regular stretchies have fixed radii; I believe the main intent there is to be able to ensure that the tank is a given width exactly / limit use in career mode.

The difference between regular super-stretchies and cryo-super-stretchies isn't relevant without RealFuels; the cryo tank is just better mass-wise for LH2 + LOX since the entire thing is insulated to prevent boiloff. So you can ignore those.

The difference between balloon super stretchies and the regular super stretchies is that the balloon stretchies aremuch weaker; they'll break easier and can't handle stuff being radially attached to them, but you'll get a better structure ratio out of the booster.

The service module stretchy is more intended to provide the pressurized tanks needed to restart engines that would be needed for a space tug or OMS on a spacecraft, and so it's less efficient mass-wise, but it does allow you to use some of the space for internal batteries, so that's nice.

They have uses outside of RealFuels, but they're somewhat limited in that regard.

Thanks. Agreed that that should be part of the original post, maybe even a 'stock only' mod that simply removes most of these tanks. All of these tanks together is a rather large amount of parts clutter.

Personally I think it would also be prudent to make all tanks slightly super-stretchy. Take for example the -500 and the -625 (I think). Obviously one is .5m and one is .625. The difference between those is minor enough that I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible to combine them into one tank that has diameter limits of .5 minimum and .625 maximum... especially since the career integration gives you both tanks at the same time anyway. The only real purpose of having both sizes is compatibility with esoteric part packs. Is there any real reason to have them separate?

Edited by Frostiken

I got the black screen of death when trying to launch an srb :/

Same.

With SRBs: Kraken attack. NaN velocity and scrolling altimeter.

Without: Just a black screen with an unresponsive UI, staging doesn't work etc.

Mods:

RF 4

SSRB 8.1

MM 1.5.6

RSS 5.5

PF 2.4.3

DREC 4.1

MJ2 2.1.1.0-150

EE 0.6

PW 0.6

Right. I'll also need the SRB thrust curve for a number of things, including SSRBs and all those ATK solids CluelessModeler is making. I'm not sure if HoneyFox's plugin still works, but it may not.

Should be still working i guess. I remember that i've seen a video of "Real Shuttle" made by SFJackBauer and clearly the SSRB's thrust curve still works. If that video is recorded with KSP 0.23, it should be ok.

Edited by HoneyFox

There's a collider issue with the non-vac SRB nozzle. I need to talk to Tiberion about it, but for now, use clamps to make sure none of the sea-level nozzles start in contact with the ground. Or put a decoupler under them, that works too.

If that were done Nathan it'd be really nice to be able to specify via text/numeric editor widths; trying to get correct 1.25 meter widths or heights is rather mind-bleedingly difficult right now as the stretchies always want to be a tenth or a hundredth of a meter off :(

Agreed, with the superstretchies the fixed widths become somewhat redundant. We need a way to get the common widths quickly though, maybe another hotkey (to increase / decrease by 0.5m increments maybe) ?

Agreed, with the superstretchies the fixed widths become somewhat redundant. We need a way to get the common widths quickly though, maybe another hotkey (to increase / decrease by 0.5m increments maybe) ?

Or something like the PWing mod which automagically scales to the proper size.

Ferram: thanks!

Frostiken: the only reason the designated-size stretchies exist is *precisely* so that they're fixed width. I have considered removing them all, though, and just using superstretchies.

That's what I routinely do when I download a new version.

Same.

With SRBs: Kraken attack. NaN velocity and scrolling altimeter.

Without: Just a black screen with an unresponsive UI, staging doesn't work etc.

Mods:

RF 4

SSRB 8.1

MM 1.5.6

RSS 5.5

PF 2.4.3

DREC 4.1

MJ2 2.1.1.0-150

EE 0.6

PW 0.6

Exactly the same, when i leave to the space centre it isn't there either, it's like the srbs destroyed the universe :o

Boamere: see my post on the last page or the giant Known Issue at the top of the OP.

I'm working on this with Tiberion.

The SRBs on my craft were never touching the ground. Mounted horizontally on a stretchy fuel tank cart to launch my test glider from the runway.