[1.12.3+] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.9.4 | 02/06/24

stupid_chris

And canvas and plastic bag?

From the April 1st build, mate. ;)

Re-download, they'll go away.

As noted by Chris below, my post is incorrect. Please ignore.

Edited by Amaroq

I'm having problems with this mod. I've been trying to build a ship numerous times, and seem to have narrowed down the lockup to realchutes. If I take all the chutes off the ship first, everything is fine. But with the chutes on the ship, I can't open it. The game just locks up.

I've thrown the craft file on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/xNXWQHrF

Wow, this is a great mod! Still playing around tweaking the values so that I can stop a heavy space plan from nose-planting on my runway.

What I'd like to know, is what is the difference between a drogue and a drag chute? I thought they were the same things.

I'm having problems with this mod. I've been trying to build a ship numerous times, and seem to have narrowed down the lockup to realchutes. If I take all the chutes off the ship first, everything is fine. But with the chutes on the ship, I can't open it. The game just locks up.

I've thrown the craft file on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/xNXWQHrF

I'll take a look here, but my guess would be that something else is interracting or you have a bad install.

EDIT: craft file doesn't serve me much, I need your output_log.txt

What I'd like to know, is what is the difference between a drogue and a drag chute? I thought they were the same things.

Basically, drogue chutes are made to slow down a craft falling at high speed towards the ground before the main chutes deployment, while drag chutes are meant to slow down a plane following touchdown :)

The part descriptions are Excellent, chris

Credit goes to Duxwing for that :P

So.... Any ETA on when the stack chutes not deploying issue will be solved? Kinda a game killer right there...

Exam was yesterday, I had a good 15h of sleep last night to fill up for all last week's no sleep race, as well as a large coffee and I'm working on the fine details of the update! Should be today :)

Exam was yesterday, I had a good 15h of sleep last night to fill up for all last week's no sleep race, as well as a large coffee and I'm working on the fine details of the update! Should be today :)

Good job. Remember, a programmer converts caffeine directly into computer code so have lots of coffee!!!

I think 1 fl ounce of coffee is equivalent to 10-75 lines of computer code. (declaring new classes however depletes a full cup right off the bat and I'm not talking those little wussy 8 fl oz cups)

Good job. Remember, a programmer converts caffeine directly into computer code so have lots of coffee!!!

I think 1 fl ounce of coffee is equivalent to 10-75 lines of computer code. (declaring new classes however depletes a full cup right off the bat and I'm not talking those little wussy 8 fl oz cups)

I'm only fluent in liters of coffee :P

Apart from that, nearly done. Seems pretty bugless here, will probably upload soon.

So I'm trying to make my SRB's float to the ground via real chute awesomeness and this happened...

Whenrealchutegoeswrong_zpsd0a3a95a.png

Entire rocket executed a perfect landing next to the pad :D Problem is I auto arm the chutes and they go off on the way up... They are set to only work on the way down in the config. Am I missing something? I'm using cone chutes and standard settings.

Edited by Green Skull

So I'm trying to make my SRB's float to the ground via real chute awesomeness and this happened...

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/greenskullinc/Whenrealchutegoeswrong_zpsd0a3a95a.png

Entire rocket executed a perfect landing next to the pad :D Problem is I auto arm the chutes and they go off on the way up... They are set to only work on the way down in the config. Am I missing something? I'm using cone chutes and standard settings.

If you are while on the launchpad, this is bound to happen because at that moment vertical velocity is zero.

Anyway, v1.0.5 is up.

Changelog:

April 18th 2014
v1.0.5
-Fixed the bug with secondary chutes not deploying
-Maximum deployment height/pressure now depend on target planet
-Added automatic deployment on ground contact with intend of usage for drag chutes
-Added possibility to compute parachute diameter from empty ship mass
-Applying stats to symmetry parts will now copy over all the fields.
-Added descriptions to materials
-Size cycling swapped to be more intuitive
-April fools prank can be reenabled through the RealChute_Settings.cfg

A few bugs fixed there and a few features, this should be good for a while while I lay down presets :)

Cheers!

YES! Parachutes that go off on impact!

Aye, had a bit of mind-boggling to do to prevent them from setting off on launch, but it works fine now :P Also glad I got to work out the stock incapacitance of symmetry parts initiating with blank fields, and it kind of involces copying /all/ of the fields manually, but hey it works great.

How would I go about transplanting one of the parachutes into another part? Is that even possible with merely configuration editing? I'd very much like to integrate a drag chute into a plane without having to add a part.

How would I go about transplanting one of the parachutes into another part? Is that even possible with merely configuration editing? I'd very much like to integrate a drag chute into a plane without having to add a part.

Unfortunately not. Transplanting the canopy can be done with some model calls, but unfortunately you'll also need a cap, and they kind of need to be built in the part.

I can't get this to work with 23.5. I put the RealChute file and ModuleManager into my GameData folder and it still doesn't work. Doesn't appear in tech tree or anything and I can't use vessels that I've used realchute parts on. Help! :(

update: I've got limited functionality. I have a small number (around 5) of the chutes appearing in the tech tree but the rest still don't appear.

update: I've got limited functionality. I have a small number (around 5) of the chutes appearing in the tech tree but the rest still don't appear.

Since 1.0, only the four fully editable chutes have appeared in the tech tree. You can use those to duplicate the functionality of the other parts. The other parts are still present in GameData/RealChute/Legacy Parts/ so you can fly ships that were launched with pre-1.0 RealChutes, but they are set not to appear in the VAB.

It shouldn't refuse to load .craft files that use the legacy parts just because they don't appear in the menu. If it is, you may have inadvertently installed RealChute at the wrong path. The RealChute/ folder that contains Legacy Parts/, Materials/, Plugins/, RealChute_Settings.cfg and Sounds/ should be directly under your top-level GameData/.

I can't get this to work with 23.5. I put the RealChute file and ModuleManager into my GameData folder and it still doesn't work. Doesn't appear in tech tree or anything and I can't use vessels that I've used realchute parts on. Help! :(

As said below, only four parts should appear now. Use those, and read the posts linked in the OP in large, capital, red letters.