[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Getting a LOT of this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RealChute.RealChuteModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And, probably uncoincidentally, my ships explode into the speed of light after a short period of time. Hmm.

If I wanted to have the SDHI Dock-o-chute use the new editing window, would I go about that by adding "Module {name = ProceduralChute}" ?

Yep exactly.

Getting a LOT of this:

at RealChute.RealChuteModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And, probably uncoincidentally, my ships explode into the speed of light after a short period of time. Hmm.

With only that I can't do anything for you.

With only that I can't do anything for you.

Alright, located the first error from it:

at RealChute.Extensions.PartExtensions.GetPartRenderers (.Part part, RealChute.RealChuteModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.ProceduralChute.UpdateCaseTexture (.Part part, RealChute.RealChuteModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.ProceduralChute.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

After that it's all the error above every few seconds until the log file is 50mb+

Chris, can you explain to me - what exactly is the Main Chute, and what exactly is the Secondary Chute on combo parts?

Main Chute should be the one that is...well...main?

And Secondary is supposed to be Drogue, right?

I can't get them to work properly.

The way I set them up I always get the shorter chute to deploy first(which seems to me is the main), and the very long one to deploy second - which seems to be the Drogue?

Chris, can you explain to me - what exactly is the Main Chute, and what exactly is the Secondary Chute on combo parts?

The way I set them up I always get the shorter chute to deploy first(which seems to me is the main), and the very long one to deploy second - which seems to be the Drogue?

Pretty sure the short one has always been the drouge, but to have it deploy first set the Main chute altitude higher than the Secondary Chute altitude.

Basically swap the values for the two chutes.

Edited by Taki117
edited for clarity

Alright, located the first error from it:

at RealChute.Extensions.PartExtensions.GetPartRenderers (.Part part, RealChute.RealChuteModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.ProceduralChute.UpdateCaseTexture (.Part part, RealChute.RealChuteModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.ProceduralChute.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

After that it's all the error above every few seconds until the log file is 50mb+

I still can't do anything with just a snippet. I already pointed out what I needed before, the whole output_log.txt, the KSP.log file, and as much info as to what happened, screenies etc.

If it's 50mb, ship it in a zip file, if it's too much for you to upload, reboot your game, reproduce it, quit the game, and sent the files right away.

Secondary and main chute are whatever you want. The secondary is just the second one on a part. But yes, you can make one behave as a drogue and the other as a main landing chute.

You're probably just setting them up incorrectly, I'd need screenshots to help you more here.

I still can't do anything with just a snippet. I already pointed out what I needed before, the whole output_log.txt, the KSP.log file, and as much info as to what happened, screenies etc.

If it's 50mb, ship it in a zip file, if it's too much for you to upload, reboot your game, reproduce it, quit the game, and sent the files right away.

Ok, fresh started game. Very simple rocket built in 4 or 5 parts.

Motoring along at a nice speed

1GjOJz8.jpg

12 seconds later, well, it's not supposed to be quite that fast. The ship goes poof.

vBG1pfx.jpg

There's quite a few mods there but this only happens with a RealChute parachute attached - suicide probes work fine.

Here's output_log.txt (~5mb) and KSP.log (2.5mb)

Well the very first hint that something is wrong is that there's no part icon. I'll have to check what's going on. P.S.: I can't access the KSP.log

EDIT:

So uhm. You have 78 plugins acting on this save file, including plugins that are either not updated for .23, like CleverBobcat.dll, or broken with RealChute, like DRE.

With /That many/ plugins, I really can't pull any conclusion. Something is very clearly acting up against RealChute, but it could be literally anything. If you can reproduce this on an install with only RealChute, that'S a whole other deal but for now, I feel like I'd be wasting my time trying to find out what exactly isn't working.

Edited by stupid_chris

Sugestion for the automatic calculations. Instead of having it calculate from the total vehicle mass, use the mass of the stage the chute is set to.

That's a way to do it, but it rapidly becomes unintuitive and buggy. My way to see it is build your payload -> calculate -> build the rest. Alternatively, detaching the bottom of the rocket is viable.

Well the very first hint that something is wrong is that there's no part icon. I'll have to check what's going on. P.S.: I can't access the KSP.log

EDIT:

So uhm. You have 78 plugins acting on this save file, including plugins that are either not updated for .23, like CleverBobcat.dll, or broken with RealChute, like DRE.

With /That many/ plugins, I really can't pull any conclusion. Something is very clearly acting up against RealChute, but it could be literally anything. If you can reproduce this on an install with only RealChute, that'S a whole other deal but for now, I feel like I'd be wasting my time trying to find out what exactly isn't working.

I had noticed a very similar thing to this condition, and even realized the pattern of no matter what ship I sent up, it would Kraken-ify at ~6000 meters. I have no clue what mod combo could have been causing this (I also never tried a ship w/o a parachute), but your latest update "fixed" the issue.

There a reason why only four of the parachutes are showing up under the utility tab? Even in sandbox.

Read the big, red, flashy "Important" post linked next to the download button, to make sure it's as visible as possible. It's there for a reason, because it's... important :P

EDIT:

Isn't CleverBobcat.dll fixed? And I've used the DRE fix for compatibility with RealChute, which isn't official yet but NathanKell has said he will implement.

Understandable. I'll check first if it's DistantObjects (which, if it is, will mean that it's the third and probably final time I'll be removing it for destroying crafts!) and if I can't confirm that I'll make a fresh install and start adding back the more popular/safe mods to see which it is, if any.

To everyone having problems with spontaneous combustion at 6km ~:

UPDATE DISTANT OBJECTS.

Well, it wasn't that. Somehow removing it has only made the atmosKraken angrier.

hpT6GIi.jpg

Will test further later, I should probably do some work first. The staging icon not showing up is strange, and the right click menu didn't have anything for 'arm' or 'deploy'.

posted the radial overheating issue over on the DREC thread and the suggestion was that there may be an improper transform used for the part. Don't know if there's anything that can be done about that though.

I might just edit the part to withstand 5000C heat. It *should* have worked just fine the way I used it right?

posted the radial overheating issue over on the DREC thread and the suggestion was that there may be an improper transform used for the part. Don't know if there's anything that can be done about that though.

I might just edit the part to withstand 5000C heat. It *should* have worked just fine the way I used it right?

Psssst. Check back in the DREC thread. I revised my explanation as to why it's happening and a fix that can be done in the radial's part.cfg

Will test further later, I should probably do some work first. The staging icon not showing up is strange, and the right click menu didn't have anything for 'arm' or 'deploy'.

I figured out what it was. I had this config

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[RealChuteModule]]
{
@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
{
@stowedDrag = 0
}
}

Hidden away in my GameData folder somewhere, presumably existing to fix some now-fixed bug. Removing it makes it harder to reach orbital speeds, with the much greater benefit of no longer causing instant death.

I figured out what it was. I had this config

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[RealChuteModule]]
{
@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
{
@stowedDrag = 0
}
}

Hidden away in my GameData folder somewhere, presumably existing to fix some now-fixed bug. Removing it makes it harder to reach orbital speeds, with the much greater benefit of no longer causing instant death.

Do you have FAR installed? Because you need this if you do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.