[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Idk if maybe im doing something wrong with the MM files, but why is it I cant change the settings of mod-chutes? FASA for instance.. all I can do is "Toggle Info" on its chutes. Only the RC Chutes themselves can be tweaked.

Which is intended behaviour as they are "historical" parts.

I don't know the reason, but the 3 0.65cm parachutes are not showing in VAB/SPH.

On carrer mode they show up at the tech tree unlocked (the first, free tech thingy) but won't show up when building a spacecraft, as if they were not instaled.

Is there any known mod that interferes with the fix for the parachutes not retaining their size settings? I installed v1.03 and my chutes are still defaulting to 1.25m as soon as I go to launch the craft. I haven't started with a fresh install yet to test this without my other mods.

EDIT: Please disregard, I found the problem when I when in to update another mod today. Somehow I had an extra copy of the older realchute in a different mods folder that was the cause of my issue.

Edited by wiviking

Thanks for this neat mod! Note - I just had an issue installing it: Basically I found the "wrong" RealChute folder in the zip file and plopped that in my Gamedata folder and subsequently couldn't get the chutes to respond to right-clicking or anything else for that matter. So.. I don't know how to make it more clear, but right now, the zip is confusing for a guy who has installed dozens of mods over the years...

Thanks for this neat mod! Note - I just had an issue installing it: Basically I found the "wrong" RealChute folder in the zip file and plopped that in my Gamedata folder and subsequently couldn't get the chutes to respond to right-clicking or anything else for that matter. So.. I don't know how to make it more clear, but right now, the zip is confusing for a guy who has installed dozens of mods over the years...

How can you get the "wrong" folder in? It's pretty straigtforward and explicitly explained in the ReadMe :/

How can you get the "wrong" folder in? It's pretty straigtforward and explicitly explained in the ReadMe :/

Here's what I did.

1. Open zip.

2. See module manager folder.

3. Read read-me.

3. Decide I need module manager version (reading second line of readme) because I'm working from a fresh build.

4. Drag those contents into my Gamedata folder.

5. Fail.

So yeah, a mild derp, but not a super hard derp to make, I reckon.

I noticed people fail to have the `repack` option due to not setting an amount of spare chutes. Is it possible to have a chute that will never run out of repacks? (zero is infinite?) I want to have a duna shuttle that ascends using power and lands using chutes. It will need to do this a lot.

Also, the new way of setting chutes is a bit clunky. I have to enter every setting manually (unless I`ve missed a feature!) Is there a way to get the settings from one chute and paste them onto another? I have 6 pairs of chutes that need setting for my Duna rover and it`s a pain to change them all by hand. Also the copy settings to symmetry parts works but does not update their values.

I`d prefer not to have to delete 4 pairs and refit them.

I used the auto settings and found that on kerbin or duna I had a fall rate the same (5m/s) ignoring the target planet setting. Is this how it should work? (It`s how I`d like it to work)

It would be good to set a default and them be able to say `set this chute to default` or even have a few presets...

Other than that, still very good work.

Here's what I did.

1. Open zip.

2. See module manager folder.

3. Read read-me.

3. Decide I need module manager version (reading second line of readme) because I'm working from a fresh build.

4. Drag those contents into my Gamedata folder.

5. Fail.

So yeah, a mild derp, but not a super hard derp to make, I reckon.

ModuleManager simply adds the files, as noted in the said ReadMe :P

I noticed people fail to have the `repack` option due to not setting an amount of spare chutes. Is it possible to have a chute that will never run out of repacks? (zero is infinite?) I want to have a duna shuttle that ascends using power and lands using chutes. It will need to do this a lot.

Also, the new way of setting chutes is a bit clunky. I have to enter every setting manually (unless I`ve missed a feature!) Is there a way to get the settings from one chute and paste them onto another? I have 6 pairs of chutes that need setting for my Duna rover and it`s a pain to change them all by hand. Also the copy settings to symmetry parts works but does not update their values.

I`d prefer not to have to delete 4 pairs and refit them.

I used the auto settings and found that on kerbin or duna I had a fall rate the same (5m/s) ignoring the target planet setting. Is this how it should work? (It`s how I`d like it to work)

It would be good to set a default and them be able to say `set this chute to default` or even have a few presets...

Other than that, still very good work.

Leaving the "spare chutes" field blank will give an infinite amount of repacks. Writing "0" will however prevent from repacking.

Alright, since this is the second time I see this, time for a lage explanation on this.

You usually don't need to touch the settings at all.

You just asked for a default, well I'm telling you it's already there :) All the chutes are already set to the exact same default they had before. Usually all you will need to do is change the size, texture, hit apply, and you are done. That's really all. All the other fields are for -fine tuning-.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the chutes are exactly the same as before, and that this panel only serves as what the tweakables were before, you only ever need to touch them if you really need it. If you want to make a drogue chute, simply select the "drogue" tab in the calculations window and it will change the settings automatically. From there you simply need to hit apply and you'll have a drogue chute.

You really don't need to touch all the shiny new buttons people, keep it simple :)

Now for the copying the parts over. Just copy them as you would before. Set your chute once, then alt+click the part and put it where you want it else. It will not copy over the fields in text but it will copy over the stats anyway. This is not something I can really fix as this is something in Squad's court to call the methods that run my code when a part is cloned.

Now for the planet thing. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Different planets have different gravities and different atmospheres. There's is no way I can set an "omni feature" that will give you the same falling speed on every planet, that's just not how it works. You have to set the planet you want to use that chute on and it will set the fields in prevision for that. My testing is showing me it works. If you set Duna as a target but don't hit apply, the settings won't change, so you'll keep the same falling speed, it's expected.

As for settings defaults, I've talked about this above. I can include a button to reset the fields to what they were the last time apply was hit, but that's about it.

I'll link this post in the OP too as I think it's important people read this as I've explained this numerous times. I really need to get around making a github wiki :/

Also to any future person reading this: Yes it is normal you only have four parts in the editor, yes, even in career yes even if you unlocked them.

Cool, now I know the background is functional, I`ll copy the chutes and ignore the numbers in the boxes and i`ll leave the repack empty.

So if I just want a slightly lower deployment then I just change that value and the rest stays default? That`s good. It makes sense.

I wrongly assumed I had to put a value in each field if it was empty.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I`m sure it must be getting tiring answering the same questions.

Cool, now I know the background is functional, I`ll copy the chutes and ignore the numbers in the boxes and i`ll leave the repack empty.

So if I just want a slightly lower deployment then I just change that value and the rest stays default? That`s good. It makes sense.

I wrongly assumed I had to put a value in each field if it was empty.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I`m sure it must be getting tiring answering the same questions.

That's alright :) That motivated me to work on a wiki, it should fill up the question hole :P

This mod seems to have problems with physwarp. I was just landing and warped from 500m and the chute came off. Is this intentional/known?

all mods probably have issues with physics warp. never physics warp when deploying chutes. strut them on and get kerbal joint reinforcement.

This mod seems to have problems with physwarp. I was just landing and warped from 500m and the chute came off. Is this intentional/known?

Known: yes. Intentional: nope. Something I can do? Not really. Basically I dropped stock drag a long time ago for custom drag using a force vector. The advantages outweight by far this problem. Basically, what happens during physical timewarp is that the game compresses the amount of phsycis calculation of a long period of time into a small period of time. That causes the calculations for the chutes to be borked by moment.

There is no way to permanently fix it, but you can minimize it. IIRC, moving your "max physics delta time" slider to the max in the settings can help on that side. Other than that, incrementing physical time warp slowly, up to 3x generally prevents it from happening, but it's a risky game.

Known: yes. Intentional: nope. Something I can do? Not really. Basically I dropped stock drag a long time ago for custom drag using a force vector. The advantages outweight by far this problem. Basically, what happens during physical timewarp is that the game compresses the amount of phsycis calculation of a long period of time into a small period of time. That causes the calculations for the chutes to be borked by moment.

There is no way to permanently fix it, but you can minimize it. IIRC, moving your "max physics delta time" slider to the max in the settings can help on that side. Other than that, incrementing physical time warp slowly, up to 3x generally prevents it from happening, but it's a risky game.

Could you implement the "stop warp before depolyment" function of SafeChute, as an option maybe?

SafeChute does it and supports RealChute, so I see no reason to add it, just do get SafeChute :P

Well, I do! Just makes me slightly nervous that the two may not correctly sync up when messing around with different deployment criteria :)

So as starting a new career, I don't need the legacy parts folder at all? There are still a few that show up in the tech tree at the start.

Nope you don't need it on a new save. However, if you have other save files that use the old parts, keep it to prevent everything from breaking there.

Hey, forgot to say thanks for all of your work, yet again... Drag chutes on my shuttles are killer................

any word on parameters for drag chutes?? Like deployment ??? sec after touchdown detected?

again, thanks.

That would be a nice touch. I have a space plane I'm rather fond of, but it's got an awfully long neck and the cockpit has a nasty tendency to smack into the ground on touchdown. I should shorten it, that would be the smart thing to do, but I figure four drag chutes, with the two forward deploying immediately and the rear ones on a 2 second timer should keep the nose up.

That would be a nice touch. I have a space plane I'm rather fond of, but it's got an awfully long neck and the cockpit has a nasty tendency to smack into the ground on touchdown. I should shorten it, that would be the smart thing to do, but I figure four drag chutes, with the two forward deploying immediately and the rear ones on a 2 second timer should keep the nose up.

There are deployment timers :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.