[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Getting the following error when I reload the database:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/cone_chute/RC_cone'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RealChute.SizeNode]].Add (System.String key, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.ProceduralChute.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)
at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

All parts that would have compiled after that point don't and all patches fail.

Was signaled on the last page a few pages ago, just realizing some wonderful three pages inserted themselves, already fixed.

Edited by stupid_chris

Was signaled on the last page a few pages ago, just realizing some wonderful three pages inserted themselves, already fixed.

Yeah, there was a... signal to noise ratio issue in that time frame. Must have been a technical... glitch :(

I have a question about RealChute and RSS. I notice that the first size is almost right for the RSS sized mk-1 pod. But when I select the 'previous' size, and it gets slightly smaller the mass goes up. I'm just wondering what's happening with that. If it's something mis-configured, or just a weird interaction between real chutes and RSS.

Thanks!

I have a question about RealChute and RSS. I notice that the first size is almost right for the RSS sized mk-1 pod. But when I select the 'previous' size, and it gets slightly smaller the mass goes up. I'm just wondering what's happening with that. If it's something mis-configured, or just a weird interaction between real chutes and RSS.

Thanks!

It might just be a mistake in the config.

I'll give the config files a once over. My suspicion was that the RSS configs were only overriding the RealChute defaults after the first resize, but I'll give it a look-see and see what I find.

I'll give the config files a once over. My suspicion was that the RSS configs were only overriding the RealChute defaults after the first resize, but I'll give it a look-see and see what I find.

RSS has configs that replaces completely the normal defaults. I probably simply misstyped a case mass.

Just installed your mod and got into a problem. Everything works fine in VAB including the config dialog. But as soon as I launch everything except the overlays (menu, staging, other mod butttons) vanishes into blackness.

When I return to space centers it's gone too.

Deleting your mod and restarting worked, everything works as before.

Version 0.23.5 from Steam, lots of mods installed. Any idea? Has this happened to someone before?

I really would like to use the mod.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a science package dropped from an aircraft:

At first I thought this was the kraken April Fool's joke but I double-checked the cfg and it was disabled. Then I went back to a previous RC version and it worked ok. Then I reloaded the current version and tried replacing the chutes (since they were placed on the craft during an older version) - still happened. Then I set the chute deploy timer to 0s and had no more issues - the chute deployed and lowered the package at the proper rate.

Just installed your mod and got into a problem. Everything works fine in VAB including the config dialog. But as soon as I launch everything except the overlays (menu, staging, other mod butttons) vanishes into blackness.

When I return to space centers it's gone too.

Deleting your mod and restarting worked, everything works as before.

Version 0.23.5 from Steam, lots of mods installed. Any idea? Has this happened to someone before?

I really would like to use the mod.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow, I had a very similar experience trying to track down the bug above. When I switched back to v1.0.5 of RC, the first two times I loaded the game and tried to drop my science pod containing the chute the screen went entirely black except for the GUI and my altimeter read 777777777 and then rolled up to 666666666 and 55555555, etc. Very weird! It only happened as soon as I dropped the package and the chute timer ran down to deploy. Then I had to restart the entire game to get the graphics back.

Of course, the third time I loaded the game and tried to video capture this, I couldn't make it happen. I tried like 5 times and it never happened again 0_o

Just downloaded this today, after hearing tons about it on IRC, mainly because drag chutes (plane landing speeds and stopping distances is a problem I'm working on at the mo').

It's very good, there's just some niggling...things. Most of which are of the 'just bugs me' variety.

For starters, I keep setting the drag chute off on takeoff. If I pull up too soon and my 'lazy Tiron' protective tailwheel (also useful for rough terrain landings) touches after the main gear get off the ground, it activates the chute. Turning on 'must go down to deploy' mostly stops it. Except it leaves the chute in an 'armed' state that can't be cancelled, with that obnoxious 'waiting for negative vertical speed' display in the middle of the screen until it's deployed.

Then there's the forced 'pre-deployment' options. There's no way to disable them, or even to fake disabling them by setting them to unreachable/redundant parameters. Mostly just an annoyance, except that when it gets stuck in 'armed' state from the tailwheel, it actually uses them to deploy the chute(at an altitude no lower than 10m, because it won't let you set it any lower than that.)

The hybrid of staging/action group/right-click/automatic deployment is a bit...odd, sometimes. Especially for a drag chute on a plane. Having 'stages' on a plane just feels wrong somehow, and it's something I've worked to avoid (and have even used the 'stage' AG to activate certain features on some of my birds as a result of my success in doing so.) Some sort of way to get the chutes out of staging entirely and rely on action groups/automatics would be useful for drag chutes in particular, and I can imagine some niche roles for aborts/emergency use as well. Spin chutes, say. Or maybe using chutes to try to pull burning SRBs away from the capsule (if attached radially, they tend to curve inward because of the radial decoupler hanging off the side. I've yet to have one where they'd go right at the capsule, but I've had some where they'd come close enough to be a problem...and did have one clip a capsule once, destroying one of the radial chutes and the top mounted docking port.)

In a related vein, an emergency 'I don't care what your parameters are, activate anyway' button could be useful in some situations, too (drag chute as impromptu spin chute comes to mind.)

Edited by Tiron

How's this for an idea: Override that removes all automated control from the chute, leaving only action groups and right-clicking for activation. Call it "Manual Predeployment" or something. Then just have the part wait for action group commands, which are easy enough to use, even without AGX. With it and it should be super-easy.

And barring that, there's always the "Disarm Parachute" action.

1. Get AGX.

2. Spam action groups for all the things.

3. ???

4. Profit.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Here's a science package dropped from an aircraft:

-snip-

At first I thought this was the kraken April Fool's joke but I double-checked the cfg and it was disabled. Then I went back to a previous RC version and it worked ok. Then I reloaded the current version and tried replacing the chutes (since they were placed on the craft during an older version) - still happened. Then I set the chute deploy timer to 0s and had no more issues - the chute deployed and lowered the package at the proper rate.

This is also fixed over here. Next version, after finals.

Just downloaded this today, after hearing tons about it on IRC, mainly because drag chutes (plane landing speeds and stopping distances is a problem I'm working on at the mo').

It's very good, there's just some niggling...things. Most of which are of the 'just bugs me' variety.

For starters, I keep setting the drag chute off on takeoff. If I pull up too soon and my 'lazy Tiron' protective tailwheel (also useful for rough terrain landings) touches after the main gear get off the ground, it activates the chute. Turning on 'must go down to deploy' mostly stops it. Except it leaves the chute in an 'armed' state that can't be cancelled, with that obnoxious 'waiting for negative vertical speed' display in the middle of the screen until it's deployed.

No, it can be stopped. There's a right click action for that, and also an action group if I'm not mistaken. "Disarm chute" is what it is. And no, if you want to prevent this from happening, turn "deploy on ground touch" to off.

Then there's the forced 'pre-deployment' options. There's no way to disable them, or even to fake disabling them by setting them to unreachable/redundant parameters. Mostly just an annoyance, except that when it gets stuck in 'armed' state from the tailwheel, it actually uses them to deploy the chute(at an altitude no lower than 10m, because it won't let you set it any lower than that.)

Yes there is a way. Set them to the exact same parameters as the full deployment.

The hybrid of staging/action group/right-click/automatic deployment is a bit...odd, sometimes. Especially for a drag chute on a plane. Having 'stages' on a plane just feels wrong somehow, and it's something I've worked to avoid (and have even used the 'stage' AG to activate certain features on some of my birds as a result of my success in doing so.) Some sort of way to get the chutes out of staging entirely and rely on action groups/automatics would be useful for drag chutes in particular, and I can imagine some niche roles for aborts/emergency use as well. Spin chutes, say. Or maybe using chutes to try to pull burning SRBs away from the capsule (if attached radially, they tend to curve inward because of the radial decoupler hanging off the side. I've yet to have one where they'd go right at the capsule, but I've had some where they'd come close enough to be a problem...and did have one clip a capsule once, destroying one of the radial chutes and the top mounted docking port.)

Unfortunately I don't control how staging works. I thought of allowing to remove the icon, I just haven't gotten to it yet because I have literally no time for nothing right now

In a related vein, an emergency 'I don't care what your parameters are, activate anyway' button could be useful in some situations, too (drag chute as impromptu spin chute comes to mind.)

I'll consider that. That just probably wouldn't as well as you think it would though.

No, it can be stopped. There's a right click action for that, and also an action group if I'm not mistaken. "Disarm chute" is what it is.

Yeah, I've seen the option, but when it gets like that it doesn't show up, all you get on right click is 'toggle info'. No idea if the AG works because it wasn't set up, may try it here in a sec.

Yes there is a way. Set them to the exact same parameters as the full deployment.

Yeah, well, the idea was 'no auto parameters at all', pre or full either one. The radio buttons list it as altitude or pressure 'predeployment' which is why I called it that. I was more referring to the fact that there's no way to NOT set either an altitude or pressure trigger.

Unfortunately I don't control how staging works. I thought of allowing to remove the icon, I just haven't gotten to it yet because I have literally no time for nothing right now

Well the staging turned to not be part of the problem, just a minor irritant that's mostly obviated by a recent fix to aviationlights. Although an option to take stuff out of staging entirely would be vunderful, some of the time anyway.

I'll consider that. That just probably wouldn't as well as you think it would though.

Probably not, but isn't things going horribly wrong half the fun? ;)

Well the staging turned to not be part of the problem, just a minor irritant that's mostly obviated by a recent fix to aviationlights. Although an option to take stuff out of staging entirely would be vunderful, some of the time anyway.

TweakableEverything has a module that does that in TweakableStaging.dll :

MODULE
{
name = ModuleStagingToggle
defaultDisabled = false
activeInFlight = true
activeInEditor = true
}

It might work, or not, but worth trying:

@PART[*]:HAS[RealChuteModule]:NEEDS[TweakableStaging]:FOR[RealChute]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleStagingToggle
defaultDisabled = false
activeInFlight = true
activeInEditor = true
}
}

These past couple of days, I've felt like a MM config fairy. Best swiss-army-knife mod for KSP ever, MM is.

Edited by phoenix_ca

I've this issue a while now, occasionally my chutes can not be repacked. I just did trip and landed on ike, then landed on duna (using the parachutes). Once I got back in space I tried to eva to repack, but I only get options to arm, deploy or disarm and info. Same as if I was inside the ship. Arm will update the chute to look as if it is armed, but on descent it does not deploy and the deploy option doesn't do anything. I've since landed the ship back on kerbin (KSPI is OP :P), but I'm getting ready to send the same ship on another mission and I'll need those parachutes to work correctly.

I've this issue a while now, occasionally my chutes can not be repacked. I just did trip and landed on ike, then landed on duna (using the parachutes). Once I got back in space I tried to eva to repack, but I only get options to arm, deploy or disarm and info. Same as if I was inside the ship. Arm will update the chute to look as if it is armed, but on descent it does not deploy and the deploy option doesn't do anything. I've since landed the ship back on kerbin (KSPI is OP :P), but I'm getting ready to send the same ship on another mission and I'll need those parachutes to work correctly.

Unfortunately you'll have to deal with it for another two weeks.

Cool, thx. FWIW I did check the Known Issues on the OP

Yeah, I don't really have the time to update it right now :P

This is a request, and I'm not sure how feasible it would be (Or if you even want to do it, which is fine) but after having a look at Procedural Parts and Procedural Fairings, would it be possible to integrate their adjustment layout into this? (i.e being able to right click a part and use arrows/slider to do everything that the current GUI does)

This is a request, and I'm not sure how feasible it would be (Or if you even want to do it, which is fine) but after having a look at Procedural Parts and Procedural Fairings, would it be possible to integrate their adjustment layout into this? (i.e being able to right click a part and use arrows/slider to do everything that the current GUI does)

Could be done: yes. However, it's more of a matter of "do I want this into RealChute". IMO, this works better for RealChute. NathanKell is probably going to cringe at me, but I'd rather keep it that way :)

Could be done: yes. However, it's more of a matter of "do I want this into RealChute". IMO, this works better for RealChute. NathanKell is probably going to cringe at me, but I'd rather keep it that way :)

So you're saying the current iteration works better? I guess so. Like I said, just a request and I am happy with the current system. Though, when using the combo chute, If I want the main chute to be the short one, would I put it's parameters in the main or secondary options?

So you're saying the current iteration works better? I guess so. Like I said, just a request and I am happy with the current system. Though, when using the combo chute, If I want the main chute to be the short one, would I put it's parameters in the main or secondary options?

I feel it does. It's easier to tweak, can be adjusted more precisely, and also doesn't take a huge deal of place when right clicking the part. Unlike fairingsand such, parachutes usually need some finer tuning. Also this wouldn't allow for the calculation of the correct diameter, unlike the current system.

And for the second question: doesn't matter :) The size of the parachute will automatically adjust to what it should be. If the first one is a drogue, and consequently is only 5m wide, it will appear as such. Just do your stuff, RealChute takes care of the rest :)

Hey guys, in an attempt to phase out the usage of old spaceport and to not use Curse, I'm helping FEichinger test his Replaceport prototype, the only currently hosted mod is RealChute. A link is in the OP, so feel free to download from there :)

A fair warning: The system is heavily work-in-progress, the design is only a slapped-together rendition of the existing Spaceport design and there may be some unexpected side-effects by larger traffic volume. Please do not hesitate to use the system, though - those unexpected effects are exactly what we need to figure out. Shoot me a message if you come across anything that looks like it shouldn't be happening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.