Own up, Who forgot the parachutes?

ttnarg

Answers)

A) Me, poor Jeb

B) Me, but I pulled the landing off anyway. Dam those command pods are almost a tough as Jebs skull.

c) I have not been playing KSP much.

D) Lies.

Edited by ttnarg
spelling

Forget them sometimes. The most boneheaded move for me was sending a Lander to Duna and realizing I put the landing legs on upside down. Still worked tho...

I did that a couple of times, when I used the Mk2 legs for the first time. They were pointing the wrong way up. And later I used the Mk1 for the first time, and I had learned that legs point up and fold down, so I turned those around to :blush:

I just did one better. I forgot my rockets.

After redesigning my lander (toying with an all RCS lander), and flying it out to Mun, to rescue my last all RCS lander (should have brought more monopropellant) using liquid fuel with radial engines...I realized I forgot to add the radial engines...while in Munar orbit. Be right back guys!

In my defense, I'm new at this game.

A few times in the demo, but by the time I forked out for the retail version I'd learned better. Though there have been a few occasions where I convinced myself I didn't need parachutes because the lander had more than enough fuel. only to find that it kind of did. Still brought the capsule and science bay back in one piece though, even if the rest of it ended up being driven several feet into the ground.

The only times I outright forgot to add parachutes, I was testing landers, and I always go for >1 TWR, so I was able to do a safe-ish landing.

I have had all of the other mishaps, however. Making staging mistakes, putting them on the wrong action group, opening them too early and having them ripped off. I once tried for a multi-module ship with parachutes connected to the command module via a docking port. Well, turns out these ports aren't strong enough to support a command module. Splat!

Forgetting the chutes isn't so much a problem as coming into Duna hot at interplanetary speed and the chute just rips right off when it opens.

More aerobraking next time? maybe just more chutes.

Ow well, the crew lived, and I managed to rescue them.

Its more embarassing that the 'chutes open and the sudden g-force makes your lander fall to bits leaving it scattered across duna's surface with a sad little command pod coming to rest amonst the remains.

Oh and getting the staging wrong so that the chutes open on the way uphill from KSC......

Boris

"Never in the field of kerbal spaceflight has so much gone wrong by so many for so long"

I haven't forgotten them in awhile, but I have forgotten struts connecting the part they're mounted on to other heavy parts of the craft.

Setting a science-return probe down on Duna for my first time became suddenly depressing when after all that work and waiting all that time to get down low enough for chutes to open fully, then having half the landing chutes rip off the docking port.

The probe made it down fine, and was in perfectly fine shape to get back into orbit to rejoin the transit tug, but not only did the no docking port make it a useless task, but the kerbin landing parachutes were pulled off with the docking port and secondary duna chutes.

I forget everything there is to forget. And misplace things too!

Last week on orbit I discovered that I had placed a control ring where I'd wanted a decoupler!

Just another day in KSP.

... oh yeah, I also forget to modify the order of events after I change something. That's why even Jeb is scared of me.

Edited by Scrogdog

I forget everything there is to forget. And misplace things too!

Last week on orbit I discovered that I had placed a control ring where I'd wanted a decoupler!

Just another day in KSP.

I did the opposite yesterday... decoupler instead of reaction wheels... right under the pod...

I was wondering what that random vertical decoupler was floating around in the staging window

halfway to the mun... *pop*

hey... hey... hey now... silly command pod, get back to the rest of the ship!

I've mistakenly used canisters of RCS when I meant to grab canisters of Xenon, so it's not impossible... If you're tired enough, it's possible. Needless to say, those wing-mounted space probes had plenty of effective Delta-V when one considers the rate of acceleration for RCS versus the rate of acceleration for an Ion engine... 3 cans of RCS will do that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.