[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

Please let me introduce you to my very own ECLSS mod.

Features:

- From now on each crewmember consumes oxygen and produce carbon dioxide, once they are outside breathable atmosphere (14km for Kerbin).

- Crew can not live without oxygen outside of breatheable atmosphere, and as such, they will die a horrible death if you won't supply them with sufficient supply of oxygen.

- Just in case worse comes to worst, crew can use O2 candles as emergency source of oxygen. But they won't last long, and they are HEAVY, so don't rely on them. Each capsule contains few of them.

- Contain oxygen regenerator, which could be used to reprocess some of CO2 back into oxygen. Consumes a considerable amount of electricity, so be prepared to supply it.

- From now on, when kerbal goes onto EVA, he takes RCS and oxygen from vessel's tanks. Upon return, any excess resources are returned to vessel tanks. Be careful - if there is no RCS onboard, kerbal might not be able to return to the vessel!!!

- If you'll forget about that, system will notify you once oxygen level lowers below caution or warning threshholds. These thresholds could be modified on per-vessel basis, by default they are 25% and 5% of onboard capacity.

- GUI added to just about any screen, which displays current O2/CO2 levels. In the Map and Tracking Station views, you can view that information for any vessel without having to switch to it. There is also summary screen which list all your vessels and essential ECLSS-related information about them.

- Package includes configuration file for ModuleManager that adds life support-related resources.

- Package also includes tanks for both oxygen and CO2, and regenerator, cortesy of awesome BobCat.

- and the KILLER FEATURE: ALL OF THAT is happenning AT ALL TIMES, FOR ALL VESSELS, INCLUDING INACTIVE, even when you are at the Space Center, or Tracking Station.

Download here: https://bitbucket.org/asmi/ksp/downloads/LifeSupportMod.1.0.15.zip

Installation instructions are as usual - unpack contents into your KSP root folder. License is included in installation package.

Source code is available here: https://bitbucket.org/asmi/ksp/src/default/KerbalPlugins/LifeSupport

Edited by asmi

Awesome!! Just what I was waiting for to begin work on the new KSS KhaosHorizon (my main station).

Gave this system a good test via the latest Soviet pack update...and so far its the most realistic, yet most gameplay friendly lifesupport mod I have had the pleasure of using.

EDIT: Not sure if it was intended, but the MM file is missing the Cupola pod and the Hitchhikers can =)

Edited by KhaosCorp

I like this. Realism FTW!

Thank you! I was trying to balance realism with gameplay-related considerations, so I opted not to overcomplicate it as to not detract less hardcore users. Quoting BobCat in this regard, "if you want to have to manually lead kerbals to take a dump, play Sims instead" :D

EDIT: Does this have it's own tech tree? Because I can make one if you want.

To be honest I didn't even think of it! Probably we could make small tanks available at 2 level (about the time average player starts performing orbital flights, as capsules contain enough supply of oxygen for suborbital flights). Large tanks needs to be made available somewhere after 3man pod becomes available. As for renegerator, I'd consider it "high-tech" piece and made it avaialable pretty late into the tree.

Awesome!! Just what I was waiting for to begin work on the new KSS KhaosHorizon (my main station).

Gave this system a good test via the latest Soviet pack update...and so far its the most realistic, yet most gameplay friendly lifesupport mod I have had the pleasure of using.

Thank you! I would like to thank all users from Russian subforum who participated in discussion regarding gameplay for this mod. In its' design we were trying to strike a balance between adding more realism while not detracting not-so-hardcore users, but it's up to users to judge on how successful this attempt is.

EDIT: Not sure if it was intended, but the MM file is missing the Cupola pod and the Hitchhikers can =)

Yes this is intended, as these modules are meant to be a part of larger structures, and as such, ECLSS functions need to be elsewhere on that vessel/station.

Eggsellent! And those tanks are beautiful!

That is what happens when BobCat does the modelling - only top-notch quality!

Edited by asmi

Oh cool, I was just thinking about getting a Life Support mod again but TAC is still WIP and Ioncross is still in Development. Will give this a try immediately.

Also question, you said the Kerbals can't breathe above 14km on Kerbin, does this mean they don't use up O2 when in a ship below 14km? Also can they also breathe on Laythe? Since it's atmosphere contains O2.

Still getting some freezes, and its always when trying to change to space center scene....don't seem to matter where from. When it happens it locks everything up, KSP and my pc...only thing I am able to to is restart my pc..cant even force close KSP.

Here is the log, but was generated from restartign my pc, not telling it to dump an output, so not sure if it will have helpful info:

http://www./download/3lmlc73cv7ady0u/output_log.txt

Removing the Life Support folder seems to fix it, though Id need to test a bit more before Im 100% on that.

I am unable to recover ship with kerbal after landing back at ksp. i select the craft, select recover and nothing. i can leave tracking station and go on, but that craft and kerbal are stuck there...? this is my first try so i am sure i am doing something wrong.

EDIT: If i leave the game, restart it, I can then recover the craft and kerbal....

Edited by drtedastro
more info

Thank you asmi for the fresh life support mod. I really like the direction you took with the interface, especially the global view. While I know this is a new release, do you have any extended goals for this that you don't mind sharing?

Still getting some freezes, and its always when trying to change to space center scene....don't seem to matter where from. When it happens it locks everything up, KSP and my pc...only thing I am able to to is restart my pc..cant even force close KSP.

Here is the log, but was generated from restartign my pc, not telling it to dump an output, so not sure if it will have helpful info:

http://www./download/3lmlc73cv7ady0u/output_log.txt

Removing the Life Support folder seems to fix it, though Id need to test a bit more before Im 100% on that.

The log file you've provided is full of exceptions coming from Kethane mod. Can you please try temporary deleting it and checking if problem persists? It could be some sort of interoperability issue.

Another thing is - in order to not spend valueable CPU cycles in the main thread that processes he physics, I've moved majority for calculations to other threads so your other cores finally have something useful to do. But that also means that until that part is perfected, there might be some issues.

Also question, you said the Kerbals can't breathe above 14km on Kerbin, does this mean they don't use up O2 when in a ship below 14km? Also can they also breathe on Laythe? Since it's atmosphere contains O2.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. And yes, they can also breathe on Laythe provided that they are at altitude lower than 25% of atmosphere height (don't remember exactly what the number is).

Is the regenerator used to turn CO2 back into oxygen? If so, can it do that indefinitely provided it has power?

Yes and no - CO2 to O2 reprocessing have some losses, so sooner or later you'll run out of oxygen no matter how many regenerators you bring. So try to bring just enough to have a slightly negative O2 balance (you can use "Resources" window in map view to aid you in finding that out).

Great, I already had problems choosing between TWO mods ... :P:D

How can the tanks be refilled? Only by sending resupply or also by entering a breathable atmosphere?

Can CO2 simply be vented from the tanks?

KSP ingame time stops in the editor - did you circumvent this also or just the time spent in KSC "menu" and observatory?

Thank you asmi for the fresh life support mod. I really like the direction you took with the interface, especially the global view. While I know this is a new release, do you have any extended goals for this that you don't mind sharing?

Well at first I'd like to stabilize the mod and fix all the issues people are getting. Although unfortunate, this is normal process with new software, and I really appreciate any feedback, bug submissions and especially log files. I'm also going to see if it's possible to add my ECLSS IVA module to other pods without directly modifying their config files (which is something I try to avoid).

As for mid-term goals, currently myself and BobCat are at the planning stage (== at the drawing board) to introduce completely new gameplay mechanisms that will finally give a purpose to probes and science parts beyond just staring at the numbers, and these mechanims will affect life support.

Edited by asmi

Let me know if this doesnt work

http://www./download/33q9hbqkh3hd9cq/output_log.txt

Ok KSP loads you select your save it hangs and just sits there remove the life support folder game will load normally

Thank you! Looking at the log file, I don't see anything wrong there. Can you please share your save file as well (and list all modpacks you're using so I could load it up) - maybe it's related to some specific parts you're using?

How can the tanks be refilled? Only by sending resupply or also by entering a breathable atmosphere?

Right now only by resupply, so you finally have a reason to fly resupply missions :) Once the vessel is inside breatheable atmosphere, kerbals don't consume any oxygen/generate CO2, so they don't really need any oxygen onboard.

Can CO2 simply be vented from the tanks?

Right now once existing CO2 tanks are filled, any excess CO2 generated is dumped overboard. The only purpose for CO2 tanks is to keep it for reprocessing back to O2 using regenerator later.

KSP ingame time stops in the editor - did you circumvent this also or just the time spent in KSC "menu" and observatory?

Yes, I don't do any calculations while user is in VAB/SPH, although when you are on the Space Center/Tracking Station screens, time goes as normal and hence my mod does the calculations and everything behaves as if you're in normal game - except that any notifications are suppressed until you enter flight mode.