This game is super awesome, but how much more can be expected of it?

Unfawkable

Alright already, you bought me people, I'll buy it, jeez xD

I'll try snatching it on steam before the discount ends, unless my credit card company decides to be a dick.

And a really thriving community here I might add. Really dedicated forumers. Looking forward to being a part of it.

And there was word of colonization AND mining too? Sweet, sounds like career mode is really going to be more complex than I thought.

And since I'm new here, how much time does it mostly take between patches, assuming they are regular sized?

Edit: I've also noticed I can't change my avatar picture, is it because I'm a new comer, or I just suck at finding it?

Edit2: I suck at finding it.

Edited by Unfawkable

As long as it doesn't go beyond 40$ after release, I can easily afford it, and I will go as high as 60 as well, so I don't worry about that.

Or you could buy it for less than $20 because it's on Steam sale.

KSP will get better and better, that's pretty much certain. You might as well buy it now and save the disappointment that you didn't buy it earlier when the price increases, if indeed it does.

Unfawkable, about the update cycles.. we had a lot of changes on these over the years (been here sinde the 0.7 days..) .. in the beginning, like with most indie project, you had an update like.. twice a week, bugfixes even more often..and then it gradually slowed down to like once a month, and with the addition of more people, more layers, more testing, more QA.. it gradually slowed until we reached the "now", where it is about 2.5 - 3 Months usually, but mostly leading to a relatively polished release that mostly has some quirks and bruises to it, but is perfectly playable (.21 has/had ha bad problem with scene transition lags, which will finally be fixed in .23 we hope.. but it is only annoying, not stopping you from playing)..

Also, on a historic note, back in the day (before ~.14), there used to be experimentals open to the public for bugtracking, but that has long been abandoned as the community grew and the spam-to-useful-data ratio became way too high.. since then, testing of the individual releases is closed, unfortunately for people like me who love reading about all the bug squashing.. oh well.

Anyway, please overthink your stance on mods a bit.. introduced around .14, we have the plugin system, so even if you don't add any parts, or "autopilot"like tools like mechjeb, you will find that toola like protractor (launch window calculations for the planets), or simple fancy mods like chatterer (adds some audio variety while flying), clouds and city lights (adds planetary cloud layers and city lights on the night side of kerbin), the mod that lets you paint parts, FAR (which includes an overhaul to the aerodynamic model which makes the game better), deadly reentry (reentry heat damage, currently not in the main game), or remotetech (satellite communication networks, including relativistic signal delay) etc can massively enrich your gameplay without making it easier, most even make it harder.. (and this is only a small fraction of the many quality mods out there..) go look around, you will be surprised what this community has achieved in the last 2 years!

No member bug hunting? That's a shame, I was confused not to see the bug report forum anywhere, thought it was hidden.

I don't have a big problem with slow updates, I have plenty of other games to play if I get saturated by the current version.

Mods like radio chatter and clouds and light is a mod I can use, I do cosmetic mods, but I avoid anything that alters gameplay anyhow. I might reconsider on making it harder though, but not any time soon.

And I have been really surprised by the activity of this forum, it's as if this game is old as time.

No member bug hunting? That's a shame

You can still put yourself forward to do testing, it's just not a free-for-all. You're more likely to get picked if you've got some testing experience or use a less common system like Mac OS or Linux.

Oh I know, I have been watching them. I'm actually learning most of the game from watching since much of the intermediate stuff can't be done in demo.

Go for it. You should buy the game. KSP is an amazing game and when science, money and resources are fully implemented it will be a much bigger and better game even than it is now.

Any sandbox game, especially ones using the minecraft model of development is definitely worth buying right away. You're going to get the full product eventually, but you're paying far less for it now, and you get to try it out for the time being. Even now, there's all sorts of things you can do and mess around with in the KSP world.

Mods like radio chatter and clouds and light is a mod I can use, I do cosmetic mods, but I avoid anything that alters gameplay anyhow. I might reconsider on making it harder though, but not any time soon.

By the looks of it, some mods end up being picked up on by the devs and making their way into the stock version. I'm pretty sure, that deadly reentry will end up in the game sooner or later, but right now it is also available as a mod. I too prefer to play stock, though.

Other than the career mode the game "feels" finished. Its the only early access game I have ever bought that was 100% playable and enjoyable from the go. Other early access games i buy on steam seem like a waste of money (so i dont buy them any more) but you should get ksp. If you like the demo you will love the current incarnation of the game (plus all the mods which i personally dont use any more but there are some real good ones out there! theres a mod for everyone!)

I see, and what about crash reports, where should I send those? The game said it generated a crash report (that happened several times under the same mun landing when I try to exit my craft), and that I should send it to the devs, anyone know where exactly?

After career mode, mining and resources will be coming, so that will add a whole new dimension to the game when coupled with career mode.

Also, they didn't say that they would never do mp, just that it's not on their to-do list and that they will not be tackling it in the forseeable future.

You can also expect an aerodynamics/spaceplane update in later in the future (nobody knows when).

I'm currently on the Demo, I have a policy against buying games until they reach 1.00 version so to speak, but for what I've seen so far, I am completely in love with it. I've only been playing for 2 days, and I'm getting the grasp of all the basics, and moving on to intermediate stuff like docking.

Now I'm interested how much MORE awesome can this awesome game get. I've already found some info about stuff that devs said were not going to be in the game ever (no multiplayer, meh, but no aliens makes me a sad puppy).

--- bit of an edit ---

More in-game customization is another thing I'd really want, naming and giving different looks to your Kerbals, changing spacecraft colors, etc.

Go buy this game now.

I've been at this KSP lark since about .11 was released and its my most played game.

I got sidelined at the start of the year due to illness and I bought a few games to keep me entertained inbetween visits to hospitals/doctors/therapists etc etc borderlands 2 got about 3 hrs play, dead space got about the same, KSP... built a ISS class space station, landed on duna, flew to jool and mapped the moons of jool before finding a very dead kraken( did you know those things come in pairs... and we killed one.... gulp )landed a kerbal on Eve (he's still there)wondered just how fast you can aerobrake at kerbin without your ship(and nerves) falling apart (22.73 Km/sec)

Sadly before my Moho mission landed I got sent back to work :(

The full game is a ton of fun, you can do the career mode.. or just run in sandbox and make up your own missions..... and stuff a ton of mods in there for extra extra fun (make a backup copy of your KSP folder with no mods.. makes life a lot easier :) )

All in, its worth way more than the current price... and I've spent $60 on other games than have'nt lasted and were worse than KSP.

Boris

Current project : launching 105 ton fuel tankers into LKO success rate : 0.9% .... I did get some debris to orbit for a bit :D

I see, and what about crash reports, where should I send those? The game said it generated a crash report (that happened several times under the same mun landing when I try to exit my craft), and that I should send it to the devs, anyone know where exactly?

I think, the current version doesn't have this anymore. The community has been so active, that testing is now a closed process - the efforts of a select few are already sufficient for the QA process. That said though, I haven't experienced crashes in a long while now (what am I doing wrong???!).

Hello good sir! I wonder if you have a moment to speak about our Lord and savior, Sarcasm?

Seriously OP, just buy the game, you won't regret it.

Oh, wow, I thought you were serious. I was pretty confused to why you said that it was on its last leg.

This is some of the problems of the internet. You don't know if somebody's serious or not.

Oh, wow, I thought you were serious. I was pretty confused to why you said that it was on its last leg.

This is some of the problems of the internet. You don't know if somebody's serious or not.

Generally if someone makes a completely outrageous claim in the face of obvious contrary evidence you should assume sarcasm.

E: Crap, now I've outed myself...

Do not worry this game is still in heavy development and has much more to offer, just look at the planned features and you will see we are very far from a finished product, i played KSP since 0.13 and even when it seemed this game reached it's final form something completely new was introduced: 3m stock parts, more planets, the SPH, new textures, docking, and so on… i'm sure that the devs won't let us down because they are geniuses and have ALOT of creativity! On the to do list there are still a proper areodynamic simulation (and wheater?), two more gas giants with moons, maybe an asteroid belt (?), biomes for all celestial bodies, a full career mode with money, ecc.

and then whe have a plugin system and a modding community so fantastic that i'm sure we will recieve even more content (Ferram Aerospace Research, Remotetech, Deadly reentry, KSPX and Kerbal MultiPlayer are incredible examples of how the community can change the game even more than some updates do), so yes, this game has more to offer.

Dude go buy this game!

Edited by iLlama

I expected SimCity to be binding me for more than one year at least.... It didnt... I ended up beeing enraged 24/7 about EA releasing such a crappy and buggy game and not fullfilling given promisses.

Then KSP came up on YouTube somehow and I took a look. It took me a long time to buy this game, because i had wasted about 70€ on the collectors Edition on SimCity.

But I did and I expected a ingame Playtime of about 20-40 hours...

Now I am at round about 7-800 hours ;)

I am soaking up almost every Update that is about to come but I am still not expecting anything. Just enjoying :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.